SCI resource viewer -- beta testers wanted.

sciviewer

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wowsers! This is a resource viewer I've been waiting for! Kudos on the sound support!! Nice job!

Also, you might want to check out the SCI programming website. There'd be quite a few people on the forums who'd be interested in this little beauty. I'd recommend visiting there if you haven't already.

http://scicommunity.com/

Yep.

I'm still having trouble with the patched SQ4 CD but I haven't fooled around with the settings too much yet. Beautiful program, dude. All that's left is to add extracting ability as Mortimer said! Of course one could always use this in conjunction with SCI Studio VGA.

What would also be killer is if you put in some kind of adlib emulator like DOSBox and VDMSound have and have the option to play the sound resources through the original adlib sound rather than routing through the MIDI mapper. Is that possible? I'd also suggest something similar for PC Speaker and Tandy 3-voice emulation.

Oops... Don't have the TP game to debug. That's why it's not in the supported list :-). As for SQ4, you can still try to open the game directory (that contains RESOURCE.* files) on the original CD. In most cases you don't even need to install the game. At least this should work with the "anniversary" collection.

I was using Conquests of the Longbow to look at the resources and I got that "retry, abort, ignore" warning as well. I clicked "Ignore" and it let me view the sources. I couldn't hear the music, though, and some of the stuff was just black.

When you've found a bug or a "feature" that should be compiled out (like MFCs debug asserts), try to collect as much information as possible. This includes (but not limited to) the OS/SP version (i.e., "Hasta la Vista SP2"); the resource you're trying to view ("1234.p56"), the error message that you've got (the entire text, not just "abort-retry-ignore"), etc. I can not afford to buy all the games and spend the eternity trying to guess what the problem was...

999.pal is totally black.

Try to play with "Versions" dialog. As far as I was able to find on the internet, the "Conquest" game uses SCI 1.0. Try to force the graphics to "Version 1" and disable automatic detection. Please also e-mail me the 999.pal file (copy/paste it's hex dump if it does not appear in the directory separately).

I couldn't hear the music, though

Please check "Settings -> Version info" to see if the sound version is 1. Please make sure that your system has the correct MIDI output device selected in the "Settings -> Preferences" dialog. "System default" means "MIDI mapper", so make sure that it's set correctly in the control panel when using this option. Check the volume settings for MIDI synth.

Please note that SV does not provide any sort of emulation. It just remaps instruments in according to the patch you've selected and feeds the MIDI stream to the windows sequencer. In other words, you must have an appropriate device (i.e., MT-32 or GM synth), a correspondent patch (1.pat for MT-32 clones, 4.pat for GM) and an appropriate sound track in order to get the correct sound. Patch must be uploaded to the device (at least once for an external synth and every time for a software based one). Windows uses GM, so SV will not play the sound correctly if the game was designed without GM support (started to appear st SCI 1.1). You may try to install MT-32 emulator driver, or even buy an used MT-32, although it's much easier to find a digitized soundtrack somewhere :-).

I've tried it with the MT-32 synth emulator. It works great. The only problem is that for every time you preview a tune you always have to select the Upload checkbox so it will send the custom timbre information every time since it forgets the information once the playback stops. Whereas with a real MT-32 the information stays in the box until you reset it.

That's expected. Hardware device holds SysEx information until it's reset or powered off. Software emulators usually clear it when a device is closed after a playback. I'll try to see if it's possible to keep the device open all the time without interfering with other programs that may want to play something.

P.S. It seems to be pretty easy to redirect a MIDI stream to a file, so stay tuned ;-)

Just uploaded the new version with limited export support: http://www.geocities.com/sciviewer/sv1.zip. Feel free to give it a try.

While exporting sounds make sure that you've selected the right patch (to be used for instrument mapping) and "Upload" checkbox (if you want it's initialization part to be exported as well). The same is true for pictures: an appropriate bitmap, palette, etc. must be selected before exporting a resource. W. Y. S.(or H.) I. W. Y. G. This version also has debug asserts removed (since no one wants to provide me useful information anyway).

I've provided all the information I've seen when errors arise. I just haven't used it lately. And I'll say this again, you might want to visit http://scicommunity.com/sciforums as many people there would be very interested in your program and you'd probably get more of a response if you asked for some beta testers there. People are already helping in the beta testing phase with a program called SCI Companion (sister program to SCI Studio) that another dude released a while back.

Awesome new update! I'll be downloading right away and letting you know anything I find.

Ok I gave it a try. I really like it. I've been able to extract everything so far except sound. I can export it and it has a file size but when I try to play the MIDI in Winamp it says it's 0:00 long and won't play. It does, however, play in Windows Media Player. I don't know what the difference is...

Also it would be a nice feature to export each file in their native SCI format as well. Not mandatory, but it would make it as nice as the same feature in the DOS SCI Decoder that was released ages ago. I used to love putting sound resources into other games! Lol.

It would be much better to export patches as syx files. It's not easy to find a player that understands SMF0, sysex, running status, etc. But it's WAY "better than nothing". :D

Is there a debug registry key, or it's just my imagination?