"Space Quest: Roger Wilco and the Outer Edge of Earnon"

Johnathon

This is an improvement of the first screen I ever showed for the project. It took me about a week (couple hours a day) to fix it up some. This helps give an idea of he quality of the games sci art. There will also be a genuine wide-screen feel. The resolution is much larger than your typical sci game. (Obviously, I'm going to be using a different engine to pull this off.)

Posted Image

Anyhow, I just wanted to show you all something, in return for the long disappearance. I have other screens I've been working on, but I'd like to keep most of them private til the game's release.

And, of course, this one, although nearly done, is still missing a few little things, mainly being texturing and detail, to make it all look uniform, and a little less bland. I've spent my last efforts for this screen focusing mainly on the head and hair. This is just one head position. During the introduction, there will be many more sprites for it, as well as the lighting and screens, etc.

Well, I hope you like it.

For the record, I am currently calling my project the "Outer Edge of Earnon." I may change it's title upon release. I'm also simultaneously working on another adventure game. Unlike the fangame, it's a stand-alone work. An allegorical fantasy. I've found that having two unique projects to work on helps to produce more without feeling like you need as many breaks. (Wish I'd found that out 3 years ago. :P ) Ah well.

Johnathon

Yikes, that must be hard. Doing a game background in 800x600 is difficult enough, but in SCI-style graphics, to boot. Nice job on it.

I'm curious as to how you might utilize the screen. It might have to be a cutscene, as ingame screens involving starships tend to utilize the player being viewed directly from behind, as seen in SQ3, 5, and 6.

Are you using AGS?

Yikes, that must be hard. Doing a game background in 800x600 is difficult enough, but in SCI-style graphics, to boot. Nice job on it.

I'm curious as to how you might utilize the screen. It might have to be a cutscene, as ingame screens involving starships tend to utilize the player being viewed directly from behind, as seen in SQ3, 5, and 6.

Are you using AGS?

Yeah, it took awhile to get the hang of it. I'm using the screen for the game's introduction. I've taken great care to ensure that the project doesn't look amatuer once it's done, so I've also been researching and ensuring proper percentages and ratios and whatnot for the sprites (ie: Roger's size versus backgrounds and objects, etc. and windows closeup sizes), so it should all come together properly.

I've been thinking about AGS, and it's not too unlikely, but I'm not sure yet. I have plenty of time ahead of me for that decision. I'm glad you like the screen. Thanks for your compliment.

Yes, very nice! I'm looking forward to seeing the finished game. Just curious, what engine are you planning to use? It has SCI style graphics, so I'm guessing that it will use a parser interface, but it would work just as well with point-and-click, I think.

The interface will support both parser and point and click. It will be color-theme customizable, and here is an example of it below:

Posted Image

It's actually an improvement upon the SQ6 interface.

Thanks for you compliments, and it's always good to hear from you, Vroom. I've got the site back up, and will be making progress on it again shortly. The forums are back up too, feel free to stop in, as usual.

Johnathon

In case my vote counts, I'd greatly recommend Wintermute over AGS. I started my project with AGS, but found it lacking in many areas, and eventually unworkable.

But honestly, after using Wintermute a bit, I can only think that AGS is more popular because it's more user-friendly. I've found that the level of abstraction used by WM in ALL areas of the game make it extremely workable for any situation. For example, a room in WM is not strictly identifiable as a room...it's really just a collection of overlaid graphics. But this level of ambiguity really lets you get away with a lot.

That's enough propaganda, though.

It's good to see that there's still interest in fan games, and what you've got so far looks great (I especially find the parser update to the GUI to be quite a natural extension of the original).

I'd advise you, though, to understand that this game will probably take you a year or more to make. Don't skimp on the story and puzzles, always second guess your design decisions, and ask friends for their opinions. KNOW that your puzzles, story, and dialog are up to par before you put huge amounts of time into them. And maintain a professional attitude. :D

In case my vote counts, I'd greatly recommend Wintermute over AGS. I started my project with AGS, but found it lacking in many areas, and eventually unworkable.

But honestly, after using Wintermute a bit, I can only think that AGS is more popular because it's more user-friendly. I've found that the level of abstraction used by WM in ALL areas of the game make it extremely workable for any situation. For example, a room in WM is not strictly identifiable as a room...it's really just a collection of overlaid graphics. But this level of ambiguity really lets you get away with a lot.

That's enough propaganda, though.

It's good to see that there's still interest in fan games, and what you've got so far looks great (I especially find the parser update to the GUI to be quite a natural extension of the original).

I'd advise you, though, to understand that this game will probably take you a year or more to make. Don't skimp on the story and puzzles, always second guess your design decisions, and ask friends for their opinions. KNOW that your puzzles, story, and dialog are up to par before you put huge amounts of time into them. And maintain a professional attitude. :D

Thank you, and that's good advice. (Y)

If you need help on the game such as dialogue, puzzle-writing, or just ideas in general, let me know.

I'll send you a pm.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Posted Image

I am pleased to be able to show you one of the more recent screenshots I've been working on. This one, in particular, is of a "closeup window" which obviously goes along with the screenshot first posted in this topic.

It helps to demonstrate in great detail and quality, the goals this project has set for mastering the sq3/sq6 mixed art style. As usual, I imagine I'll continue improving every single screenshot of the project, from first to last, until the game is completely programmed. Everything can always be improved, but once it's good enough to carry the concept and atmosphere, or "point", I usually move on to a new screenshot, before coming back to edit a prior one.

Please feel free to add whatever you tihnk of this.

There is also now a team together for the "Outer Edge," and it consists of the following:

Mad_C33 - Co-Writer, Ideas, Puzzles, Dialogue, Etc. (He is also willing to assist in other aspects like programming and music in the game's future.)

Vroomfondel - Co-Writer, Ideas, Puzzles, Etc.

QuestCollector - Intends to assist as an Artist and with Ideas, Etc.

and Myself (obviously) - Lead Writer/Original Script, Lead Artist, Project Editor, Ideas, Puzzles, Etc.

Since the team has slowly begun to take shape, great advances have been made with Outer Edge's development, though it could still be quicker. Nonetheless, it's the greatest boost it's had since it was begun 3 years ago, and I hope things will only get better.

I've seemed to finally get a real genuine feel for doing the sci artwork. Within the past couple months, great progress has been made on coverting the original script into a more comprehensive screenplay to go by, and Mad_C33 has made some great and ingenius contributions to the plots main theme and subjects. The story is already pretty inuque as well as SQ-ish, and I feel that with our combined effort, we'll be able to make this a solid addition to the series. Vroomfondel has contributed some great humorous references and ideas. Questcollector has also been very supportive.

As it stands now, the team is still sort of waiting on me to finish the script-to-screenplay conversion, so they can forge ahead with they're ideas/editing/additions, etc. I've been sort of jumping back and forth between working on screenshots and improving the screenplay.

Because the screenplay is meant to give one the fullest sense of the completed game as possible (before it's being made), it takes a bit longer to prepare than the script did. It's not simply a jotting down of ideas. It contains dialogue, puzzles, rooms, inventory items, and possibly information on camera angles and music, to give the basic shell of and idea, so the team can see more easily the original idea, and thus help me bring it to life.

Whenever there's a bit of an issue with concentration or motivation, sometimes I jump back to my other working project. I'm trying to make sure that when I rotate, I spend at least a month at a time on each one. but when I'm on a roll, I stick with whatever one I'm currently with.

Well, anyways, I figure this is a good time to post this, since this place is just starting to seem to get a bit more lively than usual. As always, it's a pleasure being part of this community. I'll continue to keep you updated.

Sincerely,

Johnathon

It's really nice to se that there's still a project that hasn't fallen by the wayside, some awesome looking work here, and I throw my hat into the ring if you need some dialogue help as well.

GYI My project is one of the ones that has fallen by the wayside.

Thank you for the compliment. I have sent you a private message.

Which project of yours are your refering to, as I'm curious.

I will spare no expense when it comes to making the game as awesome as I imagined it in my head 4 years ago, even if that means it'll never be finished, because I'm doing this out of passion, not for fame (but don't worry, it WILL be finished.)

So, yes, the whole game will be consistently quality. My favorite aspects of it, are the graphics and plotline.

And thanks. Your words mean alot.

I liked the color scheme on the control panel before, similar enough to remind of SQ6, but different enough to be it's own entity, I don't think the one you're using in the new screenshot is quite different enough.

P.S. I've replied to your PM, also that project I was working on was a SQ Fan comic. I believe the first page of script is linked in my signature.

I'm afraid I'm a bit confused.

Do you mean my new screenshot, as opposed to the sq5 one that inspired it (the one which never made it into sq5), or did you mean to say sq6?

And when you say you don't think it looks different enough, do you mean to suggest that it's resemblence is too close, or that it's just right?

Basically, is this a negative or positive thing?

• 3 weeks later...

Oh, lol, I see...

Well, I half-way agree with you. See, I've actually been analyzing it myself for quite awhile. It's why I've made several skins. I've only posted two thus far, but there are several. all different color schemes, also some from the 16 bit pallete, some dithered and from the sci 16 color pallete.

I've decided to make the original SQ6 scheme available but not mandatory, considering that some players may prefer it, but some may not. You'll be able to change the skin in the games control panel settings, during gameplay. :wink:

NEW UPDATE:

Well, since my last project update, I've been quite a busy man. I went on a trip to CT, and since those past couple weeks after my return, work has been quite demanding. As a rookie lead carpenter, the roof system on the home I'm working on (a combination roof, not your basic standard single hip peak) is prooving to be quite a challenge. In the midst of studying blueprints and formulas, estimating materials and proposing solutions to current problems (problems due to internet-based blueprints that had been poorly written) I haven't forgotten the Outer Edge, and have been trying to find time to escape to it here and there. :P

Anyways, I've finished Day 1 of the screenplay, and will be done with Day2 very shortly. The guys have been somehwat quite at my place, I assume waiting for more material to work on. I've been trying to keep them satisfied, as well as produce something visual to the community often enough.

Well, now that I've mentioned it, here's the visual:

Posted Image

Nah, it hasn't taken me two weeks (since my last update) to do just that. Being a trace, it was quite simple. It took me about 3 hours total, as I'd only begun it practically last night. I was going through a bored mood, and didn't feel like writing the screenplay, so I figured I should pick something easy, to help boost my motivation, and show the community something new.

Being traditional to the classic SQ1: The Sarien Encounter (and NOT the vga remake) Roger is assigned his grey/white rank Janitorial jumpsuit,(Col. Bodge will get the Grey/Purple one instead, which Roger will not acquire obviously until SQ2, when he is promoted to head janitor) as you notice.

And, just as a note, these trace conversions are actually easy to mess up. I won't explain. But the first one I did (which took the first hour) was no good. I hadn't analyzed the impressionism of the lighting/shading correctly, and I got the color gradiations off by one level the whole way. Enough babble now.

You may notice a discrepency in style between the prior facial art I've posted, in both appearance and concept. Allow me to explain away part of it. Roger, although looking more like superman, in the last picture, only does because he is dreaming (the mental projection of his digital self, thank you Morpheus), whereas when bright awake and in the real world, he's quite lanky and funny looking (true to the series, ain't it?) I chose this particular set of facials (from the sq6 funeral sequence) to serve as Roger's closeup for the game, not only because it's precisely the style I'm shooting for (sq3/sq6, sci-cartoonish), but because I believe it depicts Roger at the age of his younger days back on Xenon quite well.

As for the differences in art style, not all these visuals are completely "touched up" yet, and by the time the game is being programmed, they will all be made more consistent, so they don't look like a bunch of fan clip art compiled into a game.

Anyways, we're still kicking. Slowly, but surely.

• 1 month later...

I'm sorry about this double post. I just couldn't imagine cramming another edit into that same one.

Posted Image

Nearly two months now since my last update. About half of it was a hault in progress, but we managed to get ourselves back together. It comes and goes in phases, and it's all part of the journey.

I dug this pic up to show, cause I've assume everyone will have come to expect a new one with each update by now. It's quite far from being finished, because it will contain much interactive detail. Can you guess what it's supposed to be?

Rather than this one, I've actually found myself more interested with the recent capture of Xenon's Capitol City Grounds. It's practically just started, but I aim to have it showable by next update.

To the real stuff now, while I usually had been hooked on the graphic aspects of the game's production, lately there's been a great recent rhythm on screenplay writing. I've been feeling more enthusiastic about the scope of the story and what the finished game will contain, than I have with any of the art, and for the past 3 weeks, I've basically been hooked on that.

The rest of the team has been very enthusiastic as well. We now have twice as much screenplay done as we had before (we're now into day 3, which is the last day on Xenon, and concludes the game's "Beginning Section"), and when 3 other SQ enthusiasts like yourself, feel just as good about the material, it really helps you to realize what you've got is good stuff. The story itself is quite depthful, yet easy to follow. It's aim is to be as depthful in plot and character development/interaction as SQ5 was, which I believe took the trophy before all others in the series in that subject.

Mad_C33 has been dishing out dialogue and descriptions like a professional Sierra employee. Full of wit and humor. Vroomfondel and Questcollector have helped as well in quality assurance areas and in giving opinions and ideas. The whole team has helped in editing and improving upon the script as I have been posting it for them. We established a designated team chat for Saturdays. We all do our best to get together and contribute whatever we can.

As we come to close on the game's beginning section, a slight tone in mood change will be made. It will not be as streamlined, as it will open up on the Arcada, being such a large ship. Things will become more serious, Several secondary and important characters will be introduced, and Roger will have to work with them together to make his way through the middle section of the game. As I said, emphasis on how much character interaction there was in SQ5.

Though, as the End game section begins to take the scene, things will get lonely once again. Roger will find himself alone. The entire scope of the game is already well established and thought out; it's simply not in the improved screenplay form yet, and hasn't passed the critique of our team experts. It's only a matter of time, a matter of fleshing out and mending everything to flow together in harmony. As a whole, despite it's being a prequel, it's a completely unique and standalone adventure on it's own.

A little insight on the game's ellements. We've been discussing the interface, menu, and replayability. We have some very unique and I'm predicting very effective new ellements which will be introduced into the adventure genre. Still true to it's classic gameplay standards, yet more alive and immediate.

It's a way explainable but something I'd rather be kept secret and experienced when it comes, for the best enjoyment. Not only is gameplay going to be more unique for the adventure genre, but the game itself will be much longer than the average classic. Not the kind that drags out and puts the player to sleep, but the kind that flows like a masterpiece, mixing and matching the best ellements called for, be it politics, arcade, puzzles, streamlining, or broadening, to capture the effect needed called for by the running plot. With a bit of luck, and continued effort, and so long as we do not loose our "game-players'" side to us, and dont' rush things, we'll have a game that will play at least 1 hour and 1/2, hopefully 2, AFTER the player already knows how to beat it, and it'll run so much like a movie, that it won't wear out, if it's a good one.

Just a bit of the pie for now. Probably not the best way I could've explained things, but if I struck your curiosity, I guess I suceeded in my intent. We will continue to make Outer Edge the best thing to us, regardless of what hurtles, or how long it takes. So long as we don't sacrifice why it was begun, every year will have been well worth it. We'll keep you updated.

Thank you again, Kurdt.

As always, you're encouragement, and that of the fans helps to keep myself and the team more confident and motivated, and steady (if thing's actually can get any better than they already are currently. :P )

We remain committed to seeing our vision as a reality, and to ensuring that all other fans will get to as well, as soon as possible, but most importantly, in the best and most capturing way possible.

And by the way, I wish you the best with your current Sq2 Remake project.

• 2 months later...

Sorry for the double post, as my last one was made 3 months ago.

I figure it's fair to stop in and keep any interested fans informed, as I never intend to go longer than 3 months without posting a new update.

A lot has happened since the last one. :P

We were going full speed, but we hit a rough spot, and stumbled a bit. nevertheless, we got back to it, and have been going full speed once again since Feb 2nd.

It can be attributed to a number of things. Without including too much detail, I changed jobs twice beginning Nov 20th, as my previous employer (my family's business) went under basically. Nevertheless, I have bounced back, though it disrupted my rhythm a bit.

A great amount of it was also the result of capping the Beginning Game section. Introducing a good number of the secondary characters was lengthy and somewhat difficult, and included alot of dialogue scripting. Nevertheless, it was also quite fun, and has turned out very satisfactory. We are now working on Screenplaying the Arcada and beginning the Middle Game section. There will still be a few more secondary characters to introduce as soon as Roger boards, as well as some background information to lay down and then sweep up. After that, it's full speed adventuring. It will only get easier.

The main throughline regarding the plot objectives and villains is progressing very nicely. The balance of the cut-scenes and "meanwhiles" I think are just right. the suspense is gaining momentum and escalating. The player can feel a sense of purpose/goal, and something to look foreward to, something to anticipate and fear happening. The plot thickens.

During my two-month absence from the team, things became pretty quiet at QG6, but Questcollector had been busy attempting his best at a screenshot for Xenon City. His help is greatly appreciated, and hopefully soon, once he tackles the 16 color sci style, we'll both be able to dish out screens for the game, giving me some assistance so i don't have to do it all myself. I regret to inform you we have no new images to show you this update. We'll aim for the next one. :oops:

Mad_C33 has as usual been posting many good ideas for jokes, deaths, and other dialogue and plot points. Vroomfondel has been encouraging as well with his own ideas.

Nevertheless, before beginning the screenplay for the Middle Game, I think I'll enjoy taking a good break from writing for a week or so, and attempt a new screenshot myself. Then get back to it.

I'd like to share some estimated facts about the game's features that I've come up with during my time anaylzing the gameplay for the Starlab Arcada and onward.

I estimate the game to contain anywhere from between 132 and 180 unique screenshots. this may come as a shock, and seem like too much for an adventure game, but the dynamic changes in style and other fearless attempts we're staking will help it to work.

A brief note: additional estimates past the "132" are a result of the impressive arcade sequences we will be attempting, thus counting many of those as screens.

The StarLab Arcada will contain at least 19 unique locations, and locations doesn't designate screens, as each "ship location" can contain more than one screenshot. The Arcada is much larger than depicted (internally) in SQ1/SQ1VGA, but still remains "faithful" to the original, with no major conceptual changes.

The plot for the adventure runs on a screenplay approximately 23 days long. Though, 14 days of it will have passed by seemingly instantaniously to Roger, due to a unique plot ellement. So, it's more accurate to say that the gameplay experience will basically run on 11 days. Story vs. Gameplay, you get it?

The rest of the details regarding this, I am keeping confidential for now. As we forge ahead to the StarLab Arcada, the "puzzle experience" will shift from the simple "narrow" speedy style to the slowed-down "broad" style, with plenty ship locations to explore. Sketching and designing the new Arcada is going to be a blast.

In case I had never revealed this information earlier, here is a list of characters in the game...

Jerry

Blanche (Roger's love interest)

Col. Bodge (taken from the comics, Roger's supervisor)

Butston Freem

Vohaul

Charles Benzeen (Pres. of Nucleotherm. I chose this name based upon the assumption this character is somewhat official, though I'm not sure, and I wonder if it was entirely Trols Pleimort's creation in his novel. If he, or anyone else holds any objections to my use of the name, please feel free to say so. I'll either credit him for it or think up a new name myself. Phew! mouthful.)

Dave

Hugh

Prof. Matthew Frye (Slash Vohaul under an alias name, from the comics.)

Randy

Stuart

Spaztic Rearch Droid

Amongst others (though any in addition to the above will not likely be secondary/important characters. Just bodies.)

I hope this update was interesting enough for you. We are alive and still kicking. We are kicking quite hard actually. Things are running pretty smoothly.

Sincerely,

Johnathon

• 1 month later...

On the topic of the screenshot. Yes, my earlier ones do favor blue's/purple's alot. There will be more items in the screens later in development, with different colors, but I pretty much just go by feel and try to capture a good mood/theme or each location or game section, which is why many may seem to be 90% one color. This is not too uncommon of many of the adventure games, and when playing them and seeing all the screens altogether in context, it doesn't really stand out. I'm glad you like it though.

I think you should pack up all the stuff you can't trust him with, and relocate to a friends house, or a parents house, or something, until you can find a new place to live, this dickheads obviously more trouble than he's worth, and you shouldn't stick around any longer than you need to, when the time comes ask the police to acompany you while you get the rest of your stuff to move.

Great looking screenshot, hope every thing works out for you dude.

• 11 months later...