TellTale games to revive classic Sierra titles. KQ first.

e1ven

Holy Shit.

This is huge news- TellTale is absolutely the best out there right now in terms of creating funny, interactive, and amazing adventures.

http://www.adventuregamers.com/newsitem ... rs+News%29

At a press event last night in San Francisco, Telltale announced plans for five upcoming games—some that will be new to the adventure scene, and others that should feel right at home.

Telltale has entered into an agreement with Activision, current owner of the rights to the classic Sierra On-Line adventure franchises, to create new episodic games based on these series. The first will be King’s Quest. Few details were available at the event, but Adventure Gamers will be following up with Telltale to learn more about their plans for these old favorites.

Hector: Badge of Carnage developer Straandlooper Animation will team up with Telltale to bring their acclaimed, currently iPhone-exclusive adventure to PC, Mac, and iPad. The partnership will also allow for the continuation of the Hector series, with two new episodes planned for release on all four platforms.

Puzzle Agent, which was released as a standalone game in Telltale’s experimental pilot program, will be getting a sequel. In Puzzle Agent 2, “ace puzzle investigators will return to the snowy mid-west to help Agent Tethers solve the mystery haunting the realm.” The game is scheduled for a summer release on PC, Mac, iPhone, iPad, and PlayStation Network. Unlike Telltale’s other episodic series, Puzzle Agent 2 will be a standalone game that provides closure to the mystery of Scoggins. The company also announced that the first Puzzle Agent game will be coming to PSN this spring.

A partnership with The Walking Dead creator Robert Kirkman will yield games based on the apocalyptic comic book series. An Eisner-winning series that has come to television on the AMC Network, The Walking Dead “is an epic drama where personal trials are magnified against a backdrop of moment-to-moment survival.” Though no specific platforms were announced, Telltale says the agreement covers PC, Mac, console, handheld, mobile and social gaming media. More details will be announced at San Diego Comic-Con in July, with the games planned for a fourth quarter 2011 debut.

Bill Willingham’s FABLES, one of DC Comics’ longest-running series, will also get the Telltale treatment. In these award-winning comics, beloved storybook characters such as Snow White and Little Boy Blue have relocated to a “magically camouflaged New York City neighborhood known as Fabletown” where they live among us. More information will be revealed at Comic-Con.

It seems an odd move for a company that is stylistically more like LucasArts than Sierra - not, I am certain, that Activision would care in any way beyond it making them money!

It certainly will be interesting one way or the other, and I'm definitely curious to see what they come up with. I hope it's good!

I agree on the style.. The company is was founded by Ex-Lucasarts people, and LOVES Sam&Max and Monkey Island... But I think that the core of the Space Quest series is Humor, Story and Character. TellTale excels in those.

The only one confirmed so far is King's Quest.

Like MusicallyInspired, I'm not overly excited about this. I'd be interested to see how they continue the King's Quest saga, but the main thing with that series (as well as others by Sierra) is that it had a specific flair, one that could not be easily replicated by a second-hand company like Telltale.

On the other hand, perhaps it's best to have a breath of fresh air to the series. Perhaps one that doesn't involve throwing pies at yetis or saying "Ifnkovhgroghprm" to gnomes.

I just read about this on Kotaku: King's Quest Finds A New Life

While I too am a bit skeptical about a King's Quest made by Telltale, I'm thinking that they'll probably do something to appeal to the Sierra fans. Perhaps they'll recruit someone like Al Lowe or Josh Mandel to work on the game.

Also, does anyone think that it's odd that this is announced the same day that Episode III of the King's Quest IX fan-game comes out?

TSL Episode 3 is finished?!

Bloody heck! One would think they'd notify their own team. My inbox is chock-full of Episode 3 bug reports, but nothing about the game actually being finished. I am so out of the loop.

Also, if Telltale's "King's Quest" flies, it's very likely either "Space Quest" or "Leisure Suit Larry" will be next. Probably LSL, but this is a good kick-in-the-pants to get all SQ fan-games finished before Telltale starts on theirs.

Because the restrictions on the download size of Wiiware games is abysmally small. Wiiware downloads can be a maximum of 40MB, as stated by Nintendo. The typical filesize of a Telltale game nowadays is upwards of 300MB before installation. And also, they take forever to be released on Wiiware. And as for a disc release, that requires a publisher which takes FOREVER to get things released. It took ages for Sam & Max Season Two to be released as a Wii disc.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Several weeks ago I played BTTF ep1 from TellTale.

I very like this trilogy. And of course, it's a good game. But... looks like it based on cartoon version of the film. And the game has too easy-action and casual puzzles... This game like for kids...

And because of that I worry about SQ remake from TTG. It'll be nice fangames, but not more.

I'd better see SQ7 from e1ven Co. Even it looks old now like SQ4-6.