VSB is looking for beta testers

Frede

Well, it finally happened. "Space Quest: Vohaul Strikes Back" has hit the beta phase. I'm just going to repost pcj's post from the Adventure Game Studio forums below.

--

We've been slowly working on VSB on and off for about 9 years now and it's finally entering beta stage. It's gone through several different iterations but we've come up with something awesome.

If you don't know what VSB is, here's a brief plot intro:

Roger Wilco and Beatrice Wankmeister are in the middle of an important conversation when they are interrupted by an apeman sent by a reincarnation of Vohaul. Roger soon discovers that he must once again stop Vohaul from destroying the galaxy.

We're looking for a few beta testers to help iron out any last few bugs before release. We ask for serious testers only, we want to get all the bugs out of the way so everyone can enjoy a bug-free game. Prior experience with beta testing is a plus.

A couple of screenshots:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Any comments/questions are also welcome. Thank you.

--

Even though it's already noted above, let me stress that we're not just looking for people who want to be the first ones to play a new Space Quest-game; you're going to get that chance soon. We're looking for someone who can be serious, dedicated and have the time to spare. Tell us why you think you will be good for this job, and we'll do our best to respond to your applications as fast as possible.

As always, you are also welcome to register at our forum. The place isn't as dead as it looks :wink:

Not up on the latest SQ news, but this would be the first completed fan project, of this scale at least?

It MIGHT be the first non-prequel, non-remake, non-ripped graphics, non-episodic fan-project completed...

And Incinerations right on its heels?

Shhh!

I would suggest some simple alpha-blended foot shadows to help the Roger sprite blend with the background.

Foot shadows would be nice, but I'd have to experiment with shadows in a smaller game first before ever committing them to a full-length game with thousands of sprites - and I doubt anybody wants to wait another year just to play the same game with foot shadows.

Foot shadows would be nice, but I'd have to experiment with shadows in a smaller game first before ever committing them to a full-length game with thousands of sprites - and I doubt anybody wants to wait another year just to play the same game with foot shadows.

Maybe in the Tenth Anniversary Collector's Edition (next year).

Not up on the latest SQ news, but this would be the first completed fan project, of this scale at least?

Well-deserved congratulations there! I don't think any one expected to see a full-length SQ fangame actually completed. And Incinerations right on its heels?

Good to see you around on a forum again, Pstonie. It's been a while!

Thankyou! Feels great to finally have a game that's ready for testing. It's definitely the first completed non-remake SQ fangame of this scale. Not sure how it fares in comparison to other fan projects, but I think it's safe to say it's definitely among the bigger AGS-games ever completed as well. And without spoiling anything, VSB and Incinerations would probably also be the first fangames that share a new continuity.

I'm not sure which of those two games is the larger one, but without tooting anyone's horn, being a Space Quest-fan will be getting more exciting shortly :)