Vohaul Strikes Back!

pcj

• 2 weeks later...

Good point, Sslaxx. We ended up doing what felt natural for this game. And interestingly, if you go back and look at some of the earliest scripts from 2002-2003, the game was very much a direct imitation of the classic Sierra-style. It even had "taste" and "smell"-icons and mindnumbingly unforeseeable deaths :P

Speaking of which, we've released some discussions from various stages in development. Should be quite entertaining/informative. :)

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We won the award for best NPC! :y:

And @Akril won an award for Best Animation for "Adventure: All in the Game"! (Play it if you haven't) :y:

Thanks, pcj, and congrats to you as well!

I was a bit disappointed that VSB didn't win more awards than it did and the latest installment of Barn Runner didn't win anything, but it was still a great ceremony.

Thankyou. I was quite surprised that KQ3Redux didn't actually win any awards. I loved that game - including your music, Brandon.

Thrilled that Akril won for Best Animation, though - again, congratulations. And I'm hoping to see "Incinerations" pull a "Gemini Rue" at next year's awards.

I was quite surprised that KQ3Redux didn't actually win any awards. I loved that game - including your music, Brandon.

Holy monkey bladders! I had no idea AGD did a KQ3 remake. How did I miss that?

KQ3 is the only King's Quest game that I really loved growing up. That said, I still have the occasional stress-induced nightmare that Manannan is going to show up and kill me before I can stash away some spell component.

Downloading...downloading...downloading...

Jess

It's a brilliant remake, though I also liked the one IA released a few years back. Apart from KQ6, I'm not a really a huge fan of that series, but the AGD remakes are works of art. KQII+ is undeniably one of my favourite adventure games of all time.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Incinerations was good, no doubt, but I actually found it a little dark for space quest. It was not my favourite by a long shot. (That remains, at the time of this writing to be SQ3, followed closely by 6 and 5) Also its riddled with plot holes but anytime time travel is brought up that happens anyway. It seemed to me that the "canon" ending to this sequal in the space quest parallel universe was an attempt to return wilco to his roots as a space faring janitor alone against the void like he was in 1-3. Also Incinerations carries on from the "non canon" ending of vohaul strikes back, as the creator has said many times that the paragon ending is what he consideres the canon ending, so we basically have three parallel universes going right now. The main canon universe, which, in my humble opinion, is still at SQ6 until the two guys can do more with it, the alternate universe where 0, 2.5, and VSB are canon, and the newest one branching off from Incinerations.

"Canon" is a dangerous word to use here. Because, yes, as much as we consider the Paragon ending to be canon, VSB itself could never be canon. Same goes for Incinerations. We're just happy to have given people a good adventure and a few laughs. But the next real step from Roger should still start at DS86 and be created from scratch by Scott and Mark :)

But the next real step from Roger should still start at DS86 and be created from scratch by Scott and Mark :)

Everything that happened from SQ4 and onwards could just as easily be retconned, if you wanted to skip having to deal with SQ5+SQ6 altogether. ;) But we've already had that discussion ...

True. But I'd say that depends on Scott and Mark, and if they really wanted to retcon those installments out, I don't think they would've gone through the trouble of both doing commentary for both of them. There was really no need for Scott to be present for the SQ5 one, nor Mark for SQ6. Most fans would've understood if they'd decided to do those separately. But it was nice to see that, after all, they too consider the series to be 1-6, despite the split after 4.

I think that was mostly for being completionist. I thought it was cool, too, that they both showed up for SQ5 and SQ6. But should they ever regain the rights to Space Quest, I'd much rather have them pick up from when it was just Mark and Scott (i.e. at the end of SQ4). Maybe that's just me. ;) Anyway, we've been over all that a zillion times and truthfully no one really knows what might happen except Mark, Scott and whichever guy at Activision is responsible for signing off rights. ;)