Platform?

Here's a question for Scott, Mark and team and hopefully one we can all discuss as a forum. What platform is this new game being developed for? My hopes is that it will be as universal as possible. Windows, OSX, Android, iOS etc.

I'm gonna go ahead and say something pretty bold. As much as I loved playing classic Sierra games on my PC when growing up, I must say that I feel the iPad is pretty much the perfect platform for games of the nature I presume Scott and Mark are planning. I would love to touch and interact with the Space Quest universe rather than point and click (as fond as I am of that interface). If this game was to become a hit on the App Store (which I'm sure it has a high chance of doing considering the talent involved). Boy. That would sure be something.

Has anyone played Beneath a Steel Sky: Remastered for the iPad. Perfect example.

I was about to post a similar topic myself.

I'd personally love to see the SPACEVENTURE available for iOS. If that's not an option for the entire game, perhaps developing one of the arcade sequences (I'm assuming there will be arcade sequences) as a standalone mobile app would be a great way to promote the game.

I also wonder if they've considered XBox LIVE. I'm guessing we'll know more about the platforms under consideration when the Kickstarter eventually launches.

Jess

I'm against console versions on Kickstarter for the simple reason that they are not able to provide a version free of charge to backers. If they want to do a console version with the proceeds from the game after it has been released, go for it.

Personally I'm hoping for a Linux version, or at the very least a Linux friendly version (one that can be easily played in Wine).

I'm trying to minimize my Windows use.

Anyway, I'm just hoping for classical point of click. I won't play it on iOS, Android or whatever, but as long as we don't see a touch interface being the lead, I'm cool with them.

I definitely agree that the lead version should be Windows/OSX classic point and click or parser interface (not phased either way), but I'd be pretty surprised if there wasn't an iPad version in the works too. It depends if the Two Guys want the product to primarily appeal to its legacy audience or a new generation of gamers. You don't really see kids these days asking mum and dad for a new desktop computer for Christmas, what they want is an iPad. iPad's are a cultural phenomenon and represent the new generation of gaming and computing in general. There's a distinct lack of high quality adventure games on the iPad right now and I feel that the Two Guys have an awesome shot at changing that and revolutionising how kids perceive gaming on that device. Does anyone wonder why kids don't get sick of monotonous games like Angry Birds and Plants vs. Zombies? Cause I sure do! For me, growing up in the golden of Sierra adventure titles, those games are a chore to play. Give me an immersive story and universe to involve myself in any day.

As someone who played the first two SQ games on Apple IIGS, then 3, 4, the SQ1 remake, and 6 on the Mac … I certainly hope the Spaceventure project comes to the Mac. I have swarms of iOS devices, too, but they're more about raw productivity for me and I don't do much gaming on them.

Speaking of which ... why didn't we ever get SQ5 on the Mac? Was that a Dynamix thing? I think KQ6 came out about the same time, so Sierra hadn't abandoned the platform entirely. It was years before I finally played 5 on a PC, and it became one of my favorites.

I'm against console versions on Kickstarter for the simple reason that they are not able to provide a version free of charge to backers. If they want to do a console version with the proceeds from the game after it has been released, go for it.

Actually, it is possible. George Broussard frequently used to give out free XBLA Marketplace redemption codes for Duke Nukem 3D and Duke Nukem Manhattan Project from his Twitter.

I understand the nostalgia with wanting parser interface, but the games very much need to also appeal to new players to be successful enough for more games. Many new or younger players will hate the parser. If both are included, the game needs to have nothing that you cannot also do with the mouse. Perhaps if the parser was activated by something like an Easter Egg. Then again, it takes development resources/money to devise two interfaces over just one.

I'm all for a tablet port, as long as they keep the tablet experience somewhat separate from the desktop experience. I may appear a tad too conservative, but in my view, a lot of good games are being dumbed down on all platforms to ensure they work well on a tablet. I think that's a huge shame, and I don't want "SpaceVenture" to fall victim to this fad.

I recall KQ5 having a pure point-and-click interface. For the iPad or Android tablets, that should be fine. The only text I can think of would be for the Save Game. So it definitely would work OK, for classic adventure games with a pure P&C (tap and drag/tap+tap, etc).

Based on the 'install base' I think the PC market would be #1, followed by iPad #2, followed by Mac OS X at #3. The iPad is huge, it's Apple's #1 'computer' that they sell, many times over the Mac. Combine that with the fact that it can be played on the iPhone... (although it might be too small).

Eh, I've never been tempted to buy any of these new-fangled portable devices, but if making this new game playable on those devices helps to appeal to a wider audience, then I'm all for it (but, as Ferde said, as long as gameplay isn't dumbed-down on every platform the game is released on).

I worry about dumbing down the interface as well. Remember, tablets lend themselves only to basically one button. Not even a right click. You can make it work but you can also limit functionality if you're not careful. It would take some careful design decisions but it's certainly possible. As long as the PC version was designed with the PC in mind and the tablet port with tablets in mind. The CMI/Full Throttle verb-coin interface would work well on tablets, I'd think. But there's only so much screen real-estate on a tablet and fingers are big. You'd have to make whatever interface at least as big as a finger and that can take up a lot of space in the game screen.

So psyched that you guys are publishing on Linux (and other formats).

Curious how you plan to accomplish such a thing. Is it just that the game does not require the 'magic' provided by DirectX, or are there other details?

Just wondering how you're approaching building this game in terms of tools/libraries/etc.

So psyched that you guys are publishing on Linux (and other formats).

Curious how you plan to accomplish such a thing. Is it just that the game does not require the 'magic' provided by DirectX, or are there other details?

Just wondering how you're approaching building this game in terms of tools/libraries/etc.

For good measure, I just want to point out that we're not actually making the game. We're just discussing how they are making the game. ;)

Well this is good news for those of us who were worried about it being a Chrome only game.

"Hi everyone, thanks so much for helping spread the word as well as your pledges! Can't wait to show you our next little surprise. We noticed some confusion and wanted to clarify the following. * The actual game will 100% be available as an executable non-browser based install file. * You will not need Chrome or any or browser to run our game. Thanks everyone! :)"