AdventureGamers' forums' thoughts on the Two Guys' Kickstarter

pcj

Yeah, there is definitely Kickstarter fatigue out there, which also means we have to be careful not to rub people the wrong way when putting the word out there.

I'm feeling it myself; once the current batch (Tex, TGA and JJ) is done, I'm going to ignore KS for a looooong time.

The Tex fans are incredibly vicious... I can't quite think of another way to put it. They're pretty much in every forum bumping their threads and evangelizing. The widespread Spaceventure criticism prior to their launch feels something like a well orchestrated smear campaign at this point. Hope that's really just the paranoia.

The video last night was great -- I guess the best thing to do would probably be to keep doing updates to keep the base pumped up and spreading the word, and push the interviews to try to spread the word (I'm not sure there's much chance of really winning the narrative battle).

I would have thought the voice actors, mentioned in a press release, would have garnered at least a story in most places...

The only possibly game-changing thing I can think of would possibly be a video of Ken & Roberta, or a series of other well-known game designers, saying they support the project and asking people to pledge. But that's a long shot.... otherwise, it's slow and steady.

The Tex fans are incredibly vicious... I can't quite think of another way to put it. They're pretty much in every forum bumping their threads and evangelizing. The widespread Spaceventure criticism prior to their launch feels something like a well orchestrated smear campaign at this point. Hope that's really just the paranoia.

The video last night was great -- I guess the best thing to do would probably be to keep doing updates to keep the base pumped up and spreading the word, and push the interviews to try to spread the word (I'm not sure there's much chance of really winning the narrative battle).

I would have thought the voice actors, mentioned in a press release, would have garnered at least a story in most places...

The only possibly game-changing thing I can think of would possibly be a video of Ken & Roberta, or a series of other well-known game designers, saying they support the project and asking people to pledge. But that's a long shot.... otherwise, it's slow and steady.

Can you give examples of criticism outside the Adventure thread? I haven't really seen it, but I don't visit that many forums.

I think more media exposure is definitely the key. Also the next prototype release really needs to be executed flawlessly. I hope and trust they are busy working on that.

One thing that sets this Kickstarter apart from the others, and can really be used to form a different compelling narrative, is that the prototypes show something actually being made. As Penny Arcade and others illustrated, it can be hard to trust your money to some guys whose last major product was released in the early 90s. It's been 20 years - how do we know they still have what it takes? A series of prototypes that shows the Two Guys working on a game is a great way to make clear early on - before the money has been committed - that they're focused on actual game development, not just talking about it.

If you guys can help form that narrative towards the media, I think we might be able to create an interesting additional angle. "Hey! These guys ARE the only ones putting out something before the Kickstarter is over! What about the others? What have they got to show for it? A bunch of videos?" There's an interesting conversation there waiting to happen.

I just read the AdventureGamers thread and am a little peeved. You might want to mention (new accounts appear to be disabled) that it is not wise to sell one game by trashing another. e.g. I personally am a fan of the Tex Murphy Games but I learnt about it through some of their fans trashing the 2Guys project. That does not make me want to support that project. We should at all times endeavour to avoid coming across like that.

If you guys can help form that narrative towards the media, I think we might be able to create an interesting additional angle. "Hey! These guys ARE the only ones putting out something before the Kickstarter is over! What about the others? What have they got to show for it? A bunch of videos?" There's an interesting conversation there waiting to happen.

That's a very good idea. I'll just reiterate that it's important to not have this turn into a "us vs them" thing. Every one of these projects deserve support, because they're all bringing something cool back -- DFA, Tex, Jane, etc. But you're right, the continuous stream of demos give the project an advantage the other KS's don't have.