Space Quest for OSX/iOS

JamonBull

I wish I could play Space Quest on my Mac or iPad. Does anyone know if or when the games will ever be released for OSX or iOS?! Would be great to see them in the App Store or on Steam. Which company currently has the rights to publish the titles on these operating systems?

There's also ScummVM which currently supports all the games apart from SQ6. It even features a few cool tweaks, like basic mouse support in the AGI games. I haven't tried them myself, but apparently, there are ports for OSX and iOS readily available.

If you choose to go with DosBox, I'll also recommend that you visit http://sierrahelp.com/ as that site features some usable fixes for the errors that often snuck into the original game files.

Guys this sounds so good. I have been wanting to play these games again for years. Haven't touched them since I started using a Mac around five years ago. I've got DosBox now and am just trying to get the games running through that. Can't wait!

Keep in mind that Boxer does not use a official build of DOSBox. The Boxer developer modifies DOSBox in was that can break compatibility and he has been pretty critical of the DOSBox devs, though some of those ruffled feathers may have been slightly soothed lately. His approach is to include all configurations and patches for all games. This is an insane idea. Do not go to VOGONS for any issues with any games that you are using Boxer.

Boxer seems great. Now I have the Space Quest Collection installed on my MacBook Air! Such a clean interface too. Wow. Thanks FM80! Hopefully one day we'll see an official OSX/iOS native release for all these titles. Until then, Boxer is perfect.

Posted Image

• 1 month later...

Man I loved Commander Keen. I think that's Keen 5 in the icon, though. I'm sure 4 was The Secrets of the Oracle and 5 was Goodbye Galaxy. Also made me realise how hard games used to be because I've gone back and can't play Keen to save myself :(

Oh, sorry, I think I got sidetracked. :P

• 1 month later...

so I got SQ1 running on my iPad no sweat but couldn't get any of the other ones to work. SQ2 said it wasn't installed so I took the installed copy from my PC and dropped into DOSPad and then it wouldn't load.

Any ideas?

PS : Off topic, but Civilization (original) on iPad is pure magic...

figured it out - type "sierra" and enjoy

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

After seeing this thread I decided to dig out my Original Space Quest collection. I purchased the 2 CD set with my report card money in the 7th grade. I still remember being so excited that it included a preview for space quest 7 and space quest 5 (which I had not seen previously. Boxer is amazing, I am a experienced windows user and I prefer to play Dosbox games on the mac simply because of Boxer. In addition to being really easy to use and organizing your games, you can also easily get MT-32 emulation for great music in SQ3 and up. In addition to outstanding music you also get to see messages that would show up on the MT-32 display like "Insert Bukazoid" or "Sequel police are watching". I had no Idea on what I was missing out on by not having the mt-32!

Its crazy to think how many friends I have exposed Space Quest to. I went back to school when I was about 25 (and got my degree) so many people I went to school with had been younger then me who had never even heard of the series. A few of them are now even looking forward to the SpaceVenture due to my constant talk about it. My older brother even "borrowed" my copies I bought a few years ago when rereleased (and I never saw them again). Space Quest seems to stay a hidden game in the world of gaming. But it does keep our community nice though.

• 4 weeks later...

Lunchbox, that's great news! Were you able to get SQ6 running on an iDevice? That's the one I'm having trouble with...I'd be very curious to know how you did it!

I have a MacBook Pro which is fairly new to me...many, many years of PC clones and then Apple II/IIgs and (gasp) the Atari 800 before that, but, finally bit the bullet and got a Mac.

It sounds like people have had success with Boxer installing the SQ Collection -- I'll have to try that instead of just trying SQ6 individually. I tried Crossover (failed miserably) and I'm familiar with Dosbox but haven't tried that yet.

I can run SQ1-5 on the iDevice via ScummVM - works great!

Now if only I figure out SQ6..,

Thanks for any input, glad to be aboard...

PilotCGO

Lunchbox, that's great news! Were you able to get SQ6 running on an iDevice? That's the one I'm having trouble with...I'd be very curious to know how you did it!

I have a MacBook Pro which is fairly new to me...many, many years of PC clones and then Apple II/IIgs and (gasp) the Atari 800 before that, but, finally bit the bullet and got a Mac.

It sounds like people have had success with Boxer installing the SQ Collection -- I'll have to try that instead of just trying SQ6 individually. I tried Crossover (failed miserably) and I'm familiar with Dosbox but haven't tried that yet.

I can run SQ1-5 on the iDevice via ScummVM - works great!

Now if only I figure out SQ6..,

Thanks for any input, glad to be aboard...

PilotCGO

Sent you a PM with all the info :-)