SpaceVenture News and Rumours

JamonBull

Rahoul Choudhurry: "Hi Dave! Thanks for all the work you've done on Webkit - without it, we would never have been able to put together these prototypes. :-D Everyone - Dave Hyatt is one of the co-creators of Firefox and currently works at Apple on the Webkit browser rendering engine (used in Safari and Chrome)."

Pretty sure it's him. Even if it's not, $1000 is a pretty expensive prank? Keep prankin' I say!

Please do reach out to the rest of the new-media & HTML5 community. There are so many sci-fi geeks doing web development, who are excited about the technology, that it would be a shame not to get a mention by them. Hell, Googlers (esp. the Chrome team) ought to be excited that the prototype stage essentially validates much of what they've been claiming for years now.

Some interesting comments from 2 Guys on kick-starter today.

"We have the media attention now, just wait and see.. We've said this before, but there is a reason why we had to hold out. Well, legal reasons actually. But that's done now!! :) But... some jungle drums would be amazing! :)"

"What's coming? Well, here's a hint.. How bout some commentary videos with the two guys.. Oh and those new tiers you guys have been asking for.. (ah spoilers)"

"You guys will notice quite a bit of press coming through now, as well as the next few days! Thanks for the posting about it! :)"

"MASSIVE TIER UPDATES about to happen tonight. Stay tuned! :)"

Excerpt from the new GameSpy article below.

----

Another collection of promising Kickstarter projects.

What's in this week's Kickstarter grab bag? We've got a stylish steampunk platformer from a talented artist; a Frisian legend come to life; a typing roleplaying game that educates andentertains. See which ones are worthy of your support.

But before we get started, let's bring some attention back to the Two Guys SpaceVenture Kickstarter that we talked about a few weeks ago. Their funding is still in progress (they're almost to the halfway point), but they've now released a playable prototype of their project that can be played in Google Chrome, check it out. Now, onto the games!

http://au.pc.gamespy.../1224852p1.html

Perhaps the Two Guys can answer that question... nobody else knows (except perhaps Chris Pop and/or possibly Rahul @Q42)!!

Who knows? I've never heard of a crowd-funded game campaign that produced living concept art before... clearly lots of folks don't understand the purpose, and wonder what the point is. The way I see it, it's like tasting a sample of the chocolate used in a chocolate cake... it's not cake, and the bit you ate certainly isn't going into the cake, but it's definitely chocolatey!

This question, and more, to be answered in the next 17 days, here at SpaceVenture rumor central!

:D

I'm hoping for another survey or at least a way to input feedback and suggestions for Proto 3.

Mark sounded as if they starting to think the prototype concept is not working as well as they hoped, but I think it would disastrous to abandon it at this point.

New tweets from Scott and Two Guys twitter accounts regarding podcasts and press.

Two Guys - "231k on the Kickstarter & rising. The press has arrived. Please continue to push & let's make this game a reality! :) #SpaceVenture"

Scott - "In the live podcasts we hope to answer A LOT more questions. The loss of audio from Mark and Chris really messed things up. #SpaceVenture" regarding the live chat.

When I asked Scott about games 5 and 6 and their development he repied..."We've been talking about covering all the the games individually in a podcast. Must deal with the rough as well as the fun".

I wonder what the rights issue was that was cleared up... any insights? They claimed that it somehow threatened the Kickstarter. I'm thinking perhaps a conflict with the "SpaceVentures" name, or possibly the status of the "Two Guys from Andromeda" characters in the SQ series. What do you folks think?

Rumours are permitted in this thread, I believe!

It was indeed a huge potential threat. That's all I can say. And we should be very glad the potential crisis has been averted.

Of course, since the issue has been solved, the press coverage should get a lot more intense from now on, meaning that they might just manage to reach the 5K afterall :)

Hopefully, one day we can tell you the full story. ;) For now, all we can say is that SOMEONE told a little fib about where the 2GFA rights had ended up, and due to this misinformation, the Guys had to sit on their hands and not do any press until the issue was resolved, for fear of litigation.

All is good now, though, and we should see A LOT of new content coming very soon!

Damn.. that explains a lot unfortunately. Hopefully that didn't torpedo the whole thing..

Moving right along, good news that we can see more info. Am i the only one who wants to see some sketches and music rather than play prototypes? :)

Also, will we see a comment by the 2 Guys saying something ala LSL and Jane Jensen's Kickstarters, i.e. "If we're successful, we'll look at the SQ IP again, so make this game a reality!".

If SpaceVenture is successful that can only mean that the IP for Space Quest will be even more expensive. Chances of them getting the IP are close to nil. People shouldn't be getting their hopes up because they'll only be disappointed. The only realistic outcome is that they can get the rights to develop a new game in the series under Activision's control.

I'v submitted a Slashdot article entitled "Space Quest Spiritual Successor Project, SpaceVenture".

Please up-vote it at http://slashdot.org/recent

Slashdot up-votes cannot be linked to directly (to foil ad bots), so folks have to log into their accounts, go to the above link, find and up-vote it (click + next to it).

I'm trying to get it front-paged, and there is a limited amount of time before it falls off of "recent" posts. Go go go go!!