Introduce Yourself!

JamonBull

Hi guys,

Thought it might be fun to start an 'introduce yourself' thread for members. I know I love getting to know other Space Quest fans from around the world. Might be a nice place for new members to come as well to perhaps get to know others. Could sticky it if the thread takes off? Anyway, might as well kick things off.

I'm a 25 year old male history teacher from a rural town in Australia and absolutely love video games, music, film, history and just geeky things in general. Basically I live out in the middle of nowhere in a mining town because our government here encourages new teachers to work rurally for a few years to gain permanent employment. Not so great for a city guy like me but meh, half way through my country service now.

I started playing Space Quest when I was quite young and actually my first memory of any computer game was seeing Space Quest 1 being played by a cousin of mine at her house. She was on the Arcada and putting her spacesuit on ready for escape! Ever since that moment, I became absolutely addicted to games but particularly adventure/role playing games. It wasn't long after that until my Dad bought the family an old 486 with Windows 3.11 loaded on to it, or wait, was our operating system still 3D Menu at that stage. Hrmmm, anyway, the games I enjoyed most while growing up were Space Quest titles, naturally! Anyway, I look forward to talking with everyone and getting to know more people, but I'd love to hear about you guys as well!

StellarSoul

I'm a 25 year old computer tech in rural Oklahoma, USA. Similarly (I could pretty much copy and paste large portions of your post), I love sci-fi, video games, history, classical music, and most geeky things.

Space Quest 1 was the first game I remember playing (when I was very young, naturally). I've been around the community online for a little over a decade and ended up leading the Vohaul Strikes Back team to producing the first full-length high-resolution Space Quest fan game, released late last year.

Hello! I am a 26 year old male from somewhere in the midwest USA :). I recently moved south, and I am currently unemployed, but I hope to rectify that soon, working with computers, in which I have my university degree. The first computer game that I have memories of, is Space Quest 1 EGA, having watched my father play it on our old Tandy 1000. Later on, I got old enough to play it myself, along with a bunch of other Sierra adventures that we had, but Space Quest 1 and 2 were always my favorites. Later on down the road, I got Space Quest 4, which is still my favorite computer game ever (Or at least tied with Planescape: Torment) and it cemented Space Quest as my favorite computer game series. I also enjoy history, and geekie things :) I'm noticing a trend here.....

I'm Brandon Blume. I'm 27 and live in Winnipeg, Manitoba. I work for a government funded non-profit organization working with people with special needs. I grew up on the east coast provinces of Canada. I never had video game consoles when I was young, instead my dad was really into computers and had a Tandy Color Computer 3 and also a Tandy 1000. I remember games like Pac-Man, Pooyan, Zaxxon, Thexder, Silpheed, Super Pitfall, Downland, A Mazing World of Malcom Mortar, 3-Demon, Rampage, Rescue on Fractalus, and Kingdom of Kroz. I remember clearly the day when he upgraded the ram on the Tandy 1000 to 64k or some small number like that. There was much rejoicing. Anyway, our favourite games to play were adventure games and the best ones were King's Quest, Space Quest, and Maniac Mansion. Space Quest ended up being my favourite because it was science fiction and the artwork was so gripping, for the time.

The music of Space Quest and the other Sierra games inspired me to get into recording and composing myself. I've since made the soundtracks for the King's Quest III Redux and Space Quest II remakes. Currently working on my first score for a commercial game by Himalaya Studios called Mage's Initiation.

Hello... I'm Justin I have been pointing, and clicking at things for a really long time.. I am a huge adventure gaming fan some of you will recognize my screen name Irishmile from other boards.. I 've deffinitly seen many of you all around.

I enjoy art I've made some decent money doing it but unfortunatly not enough to make a living on.

I am looking forward to SpaceVenture... it combines many things I enjoy.. including the earlier mentioned pointing and clicking.

How are all of you so freaking young and know what Space Quest is? Sheesh! Where's my walker!

Name's Tawmis. I'm 42. And I have a drinking pro - wait, no - wrong place.

Anyway, been a huge Sierra fan thanks to my best friend at the time's father (wow, does that even make sense? The father of my best friend at the time, would have been much easier and made more sense!) - introduced me to King's Quest 1. Ironically the KQ1 he showed me booted from 5.25" drink and only displayed in _4_ colors. (Though his computer could do more than 4 colors... I've never been able to find any reference to this KQ). Anyway, it blew me away how it was "3D" - in that your characters could walk around the enviroment (trees and such). Then he later showed me LSL1, and man, that was right up my alley (even at that young age!) I instantly became addicted to all things Sierra.

I could ramble about it more, but I won't bore everyone. ("Too late!")

• 1 month later...

This should be stickied so more people are encouraged to introduce themselves. :)

I'm Rachel, I'm a 24 year old software developer in Kansas City. I make games and such on the side.

Space Quest 4 was my first SQ adventure (though eventually got all of them and all of the King's Quests). I remember being a little kid and being really scared of those zombies in the beginning of the game.

Parents wouldn't let me have a game console growing up, but that turned out fine, since I grew up on some great PC gems like Sierra & LucasArts adventures, as well as old platformers and shooters.

I'm really looking forward to the resurrection of adventure games in 2012-2013, if you will. ;D

Nice post, Rachel! :)

I'm an Australian who married his online sweetheart (met via Sierra game music of all things!) and now resides in Tulsa, Oklahoma. 25, works as an optician selling glasses.

Played Sierra games as a kid, the 'edutainment' titles, about 10 years ago got into the Quests and haven't looked back since.

Started the second-largest Sierra game music website, http://www.sierramusiccentral.com (Sierra Music Central), in 2002 with MusicallyInspired, who since then has thankfully (for his sake!) moved onto bigger and brighter things.. ;)

I totally identify with the above comments about not having gaming devices and that being a blessing, so I could enjoy all the retro PC titles that a kid could want, especially from Sierra and Apogee.

Of course ironically I now spend most of my time on a DS/3DS, but they, they can play DOS (and Win 3.1) now! ;) http://dsx86.patrickaalto.com/

Parents wouldn't let me have a game console growing up, but that turned out fine, since I grew up on some great PC gems like Sierra & LucasArts adventures, as well as old platformers and shooters.

Same here. While most of my friends grew up on NES games, I was playing Sierra and LucasArts adventures.

Oh, and since we're introducing ourselves, I'm Jess. I'm a 35-year-old political scientist (whatever that is) in the US. I launched the web's first Space Quest fansite, Roger Wilco's Virtual Broomcloset, back in 1995. I'm a pop culture omnivore, and while I've increasingly gravitated toward the RPG genre in recent years, I've spent the last few months rediscovering my love of adventure games.

Jess

Good idea.

I'm Troels. I'm unemployed and I live with my parents. No, sorry, that's George Costanza.

I'm 31 years old, going on 32, living with my wife in Roskilde, Denmark. In a past life, I wrote The Space Quest FAQ, the Sarien Encounter novel, and contributed several articles (of dubious quality), short stories (even more dubious) and interviews (these were alright, I guess) to the Virtual Broomcloset. I used to have a fan site, back in the old days, called Wilco's domain, but I have since traded it in for a Google+ page (http://gplus.to/rogerwilco).

When The Two Guys reformed earlier this year, they asked me to organize a collective of Superfans to help promote their new SpaceVenure. This organization, dubbed The Keronian Underground, has since produced such fan gems as Pledge Quest, The Death Calendar and two special Hangout events with special guests.

I do a series of really stupid videos as The Space Quest Historian on YouTube. PCJ may contest the use of present tense there.

I somehow got roped into being a reward for the pledge tiers in the SpaceVenture Kickstarter.

Name's Tawmis. I'm 42. And I have a drinking pro - wait, no - wrong place.

Ironically the KQ1 he showed me booted from 5.25" drink and only displayed in _4_ colors.

How has nobody else called you on this? Don't people read things through any more ;)

Longtime adventure game and RPG fan, played some of both on family C64 (Zorks, StarCross, Enchanter, Bard's Tale...)

Did not have a PC at all during the hey-day of Sierra Online / Lucas Arts, but those text adventures were so dang hard without internet for hints that they took a right long time to finish (ahem, some of them not until years later, courtesy of UHS via modem).

So I'm a Space Quest newbie, but looking forward very much to playing SpaceVenture on Linux. Combination of adventure games and sci-fi comedy seems like a natural winner. Plus the community here is pretty fun itself, so that's another good sign (speaking of which, a certain NWN machinima IS going to get finished someday, right???)

Oh yeah, I'm a Linux programmer by trade, and have a just few years to go before my Answer birthday. Then I'll have to start building a beowulf of beagleboards (or maybe pandaboards) to help research the Question.

The first three are named "Roger", "Mark" and "Scott". The three daughters... my wife shot down all the SQ-related names, but one of them I managed a middle name of Bea.

You named your children Roger, Mark, Scott and Bea? :o I bow before you, sir.

Also, welcome back, BLusk! Good to see you again!

Wow. A lot of folks from the past. That includes you BLusk, who I must also bow to. I hope Roger, Mark or Scott don't blow up any of your toilets at home. You my friend, are a bloomin' fan! Whoa.

I am an old clunker, born back in the early 1970's on some long forgotten planet. I live over in the West Indies on planet Earth these days. I somehow managed to marry an actual female and have two boys, who bear no SQ names, for shame. I did plan to give my daughter a name connected to the games I loved so much, but I didn't have a daughter, so that plan got ejected out the ole space-poop-shoot.

I wrote (although I use that word very lightly) designed and managed to put out a SQ fangame a donkey's age ago called Space Quest: The Lost Chapter. I actually had a lot of help and support from a bunch of people who are on this forum. Their love of Mr. Wilco and Sierra really spurred me on to actually getting the darn thing finished. Do accept my apologies for the nonsensical and stressful parts of that game if you’ve ever sullied your hard drives with it by the way.

I got on to adventure games via Sierra, I think it was King’s Quest II that was first. Leisure Suit Larry was a breaking point of love for Sierra, absolutely loved that thing, and along the way, while looking for all things Sierra, got my hands on Space Quest. Well, a long, tawdry, and kinda stanky, affair started and blossomed with all things Space Quest after that. I bought and played all the KQ, PQ, QFG, LSL and of course SQ games, and a few of the shoot-offs as well. Never stopped loving Sierra, and really wanted to work there one day, ‘when I grew up’. A couple problems mucked up the drain pipe of life where that was concerned. I never grew up properly, and Sierra went out of business. Sad frickin’ days. I remember looking at the pictures of their headquarters on the backs of the game boxes and wanting to visit and of course then work there one day. Ah well, one more pinky’s dream down the laser-loo.

Like many an old clunker I am still stuck in all my nostalgias, so I still love Space Quest, and after hearing about the Two Guys getting back for another turn in the black star-filled quagmire of space, I hitched up my old Quanto 9 Shuttle to the bandwagon and here I is. Err.., am.

I may have missed a thing or twenty, but hopefully nothing important. I also may have gotten some things out of order, but I'm old and the harsh chemicals of years of Rhinobathtic work has not been kind on my brain cells.

Its really good to see that all you guys from the past are still fond of the ole Janitor dude and that you’re all doing well.

May the Janitor Gods sprinkle a little cleaner on all your lives and may you all never have a clogged pipe.

Vonster D Monster

I wrote (although I use that word very lightly) designed and managed to put out a SQ fangame a donkey's age ago called Space Quest: The Lost Chapter. I actually had a lot of help and support from a bunch of people who are on this forum. Their love of Mr. Wilco and Sierra really spurred me on to actually getting the darn thing finished. Do accept my apologies for the nonsensical and stressful parts of that game if you’ve ever sullied your hard drives with it by the way.

I THOUGHT the name sounded familiar. I loved The Lost Chapter.

Well a hearty "thank you very much" to you. Glad you liked it. I of course have an unnatural love for the thing, but it really was done out of love for SQ, and my hope was to give other fans a little fun helping Roger through another adventure.

Thanks again.

May the Janitor Gods bleach your dark spots.

Vonster D Monster

Brian! Vonster! Yay!

The first three are named "Roger", "Mark" and "Scott". The three daughters... my wife shot down all the SQ-related names, but one of them I managed a middle name of Bea.

The oldest one is Hannah, right? We actually had a plan to use that name in VSB as a reverse reference :)

It got written out at some point, though.

Alright, I'll pitch my creepy avatar into this thread, if only so that the youngbloods among us might know true terror.

My name is Ascii - "Cap'n" Ascii to my friends, although captain of *what* is debatable. The old-timers around here cower in fear at that name - for I am the most *verbose* son-of-a-Blatz this side of Dhiatensor VII, the word processor planet. Back in the day, I was well known for posting long, rambling, time-devouring diatribes on whatever subject was at hand, SQ or not - a habit that eventually became so overwhelming that I was forced to swear off message boards completely for a while. Around the same time, the Space Quest community was on a slow tailspin into nothingness, so I quietly bowed out while the bowing was good. Now it's back, and so am I - albeit with firmer restrictions on the number of posts I make. I can't afford to spend all my time hanging around with you guys anymore - I have something not entirely unlike a life now. :P

I am a Space Quest *believer* - 'fan' isn't an encompassing-enough word. SQ had had more of an impact on my life than many of the *real* people I know. One of the earliest memories in my entire life is of watching my father playing a (pirated) copy of SQ2 on our Tandy 1000 and marveling at the idea of a game that you could actually *talk to* with the keyboard - especially because I couldn't yet read at that age. It was the first adventure game I ever played - it and SQ3, although I played less of 3 because as a child I was terrified of the gory pictures on the death caption boxes. Ironically, I'm now firmly in Jeysie's camp of enjoying them instead. ;)

I'm a writer - although it's rare I feel passionately enough about something to write fiction, I do have a few pieces under my belt (although some of them aren't the sort of thing I'd post without using a pseudonymn, heh heh). I'm an armchair psychoanalyst - I love delving into the motivations behind characters and design choices in my favorite games and other fictions. I'm a die-hard video gamer, PC, console, and handheld alike - I cut my teeth on an NES and haven't put down the controllers since. I am a role-player - I play virtual tabletop games with an online group that, ironically, was originally started by myself and other SQ fans jumping ship from the sinking Broomcloset forums (right, BLusk? ;) ). Despite my seemingly crass nature (did I mention I'm also a huge Leisure Suit Larry fan?) and love of dark humor, I am a sensitive fellow, and a classic romantic - I've had two wonderful girlfriends over the past several years, and am on the market looking for a third. Not bad for a guy who, in his previous SQ board incarnation, was shy and neurotic to the point of being self-destructive. I've come a long way, baby. :D

I am a role-player - I play virtual tabletop games with an online group that, ironically, was originally started by myself and other SQ fans jumping ship from the sinking Broomcloset forums (right, BLusk? ;) ).

Oh, yes. We had fun for quite a while, and I know you're still active in that group. Real Life finally caught up to me, and I'm not able to break that time frame free anymore to continue the crazy and zany adventures. Le sigh.

Oh, and pcj and Spikey, good to see both of you again. :D A lot of old friendships starting up once more. It's a good thing, a very good thing.

mjomble formerly known as Justas, yes, my oldest is Hannah, and if it had made it in, I'd have been laughing my head off. Delightedly. And showing her that SQ fans care by putting her name in there. The other two daughters are Ruthanne and Elizabeth... I tried, I really did. Ruthanne's middle name is Bea, though, which I managed to sneak in past my wife's defenses!

Brian