All Things Apple

JamonBull

Hey guys,

So one of the other things I'm interested in heavily, apart from SQ, is a lil old tech company called Apple. You MAY have heard of them. They're the ones that make those fancy devices called iCellphone. Or what it iPhone? iTabs? iPads? Eh I dunno.

But seriously haha, I love discussing and speculating about their products and where they are going as a company. I'm just a massive fan of Apple and what they've accomplished since the late 70's, especially regarding the shift they would appear to be spearheading from desktop computing to mobile computing with the iPad.

Seeing as its the eve of Tim Cook's first major interview as head of the company (he's headlining the D Conference and being interview by Walt Mossberg shortly), I thought it would be a good time to start a thread about Apple!

So who uses a Mac? An iPad? Are you too fascinated by iOS, OSX and all things Apple? If so, let's discuss!

StellarSoul

Well to help Stellar out...

I own an iPhone. I absolutely love it. But I don't feel the need to broadcast how awesome it is - unlike my co-workers, who many have Androids and always preach about how great it is (to the point where it feels like they're over compensating, if you know what I mean...)

My wife has an iPhone. She also has an iPad3. She got the iPad, iPad2, and even the iPad3 all when they came out. I don't own one - but I think they're pretty freaking awesome. (And that's just for gaming and such on them). My wife uses it for more professional purposes (as well as gaming).

In terms of computers, I have a PC. Always have. And probably always will. That's because that's what most of my gaming is - and really, that and the internet is all I use my PC for. We have like three laptops - all PC - but my wife is considering replacing her dying Windows laptop with a Mac - but it's the price that's holding her back (despite my protests to just get it, since she's always wanted one and she never worries about how much many of my collecting hobbies cost).

I remember, before I got my iPhone - I used to tell my wife that everyone who got an iPhone was just a sheep - following the damn trend of iPhones. Even though, even then, I had downloaded apps on her iPhone that I enjoyed playing. And when it came to the one day I dove into the ocean with my phone in my pocket - I decided I'd give the iPhone a try - despite all my years of bickering and bad mouthing it - and now, I absolutely dig it. I have zilch interest in the Android - because, well the iPhone does what I want - and the people at work who often feel the need to brag about their Android (the moment they see my iPhone - I work with a bunch of tech people doing IT Support, like myself) - to the point that I am sick of the Android, without ever having even touched one.

Not a fan at all, I'm afraid. Granted, I own an old iPod which continues to serve me well (though rarely, now that I subscribe to Spotify) and I have considered whether my next laptop should be a Macbook, or even a Macbook Air. I like the design of those things, their reliability and the stability of the OS and the Air is a great little machine.

Thing is... I dislike their business practices, that they seem to pretend every computer user has to be a complete idiot and that they're spreading the idea that Steve Jobs created a lot more than he actually did. Really, he was just a shrewd businessman. He got inspired by ideas, he stole ideas, he expanded on them, but it honestly doesn't seem like he ever invented anything. I don't like the cult of personality that somehow built itself around that guy.

I'll give you that those self-appointed missionaries from either camp can be annoying as hell, though personally, I have yet to encounter any Android fans that are as rabid as those of Apple. I love Android because it's so customisable and lets me do what I want to do, but I don't go preaching about it. Unless someone is trying to shove his/her iPhone down my throat. Which, again, happens all too often.

the people at work who often feel the need to brag about their Android (the moment they see my iPhone - I work with a bunch of tech people doing IT Support, like myself) - to the point that I am sick of the Android, without ever having even touched one.

I have yet to encounter any Android fans that are as rabid as those of Apple. I love Android because it's so customisable and lets me do what I want to do, but I don't go preaching about it. Unless someone is trying to shove his/her iPhone down my throat. Which, again, happens all too often.

Tawm, are you sure that this isn't the reason that are Android users are bragging to you? ;) How often are you proselytizing to them? :lol: All kidding aside, I have never had Android users brag to me, either, unless they had just bought a brand new one. I cannot sat the same of iPhone users.

I believe it's because I work in an IT environment for a very big company that is very PC based (although ironically we have chips in the newest iPhone 4S) - but since they're all "PC or Die!" types - every time I break out my iPhone to play Words with Friends, Draw Something, check Facebook - whatever it is I am doing - ONE of them, almost without fail, if they see me, will say, "Oh, look who has an iPhone. Well, all those apps you pay for, I get for free. Angry Birds? Free. Most of the mp3's you listen to and paid for on itunes - I can search for them and get them free." (Like they even know that I paid and use iTunes? I despise iTunes, and only use it to synch music - nothing else - I use Windows Media player to play my music - and I have never bought anything off iTunes). It's pretty ridiculous. d I swear, it's to the point where I want to get a shirt that says, "iDon'tCare." that has a picture of an iPhone "going to town" on an Android. LOL

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry friend. I was issued a mac for work and I still use my PC. I'm not a big fan of MacOSX. I think they're decent enough machines (their phones and computers and all) but despite being fairly easy and accessible (To those who don't demand absolute freedom over their system) I find they're slightly over priced.

I'm not going to delve into a PC vs Mac debate. Whatever works for you, but I find Macs hide too much from the user. I want to be able to mess things up, I want the option to break my computer by doing something wrong. I tend to prefer the freedom that Linux and Windows provide.

As far as phones go. At first I wanted to get an iPhone, but then I realized it was just some conformity talking. So I'm getting myself another Nokia. I love me my Nokia phones. I still have my N-Gage (works like a charm) :P

Well to help Stellar out...

I own an iPhone. I absolutely love it. But I don't feel the need to broadcast how awesome it is - unlike my co-workers, who many have Androids and always preach about how great it is (to the point where it feels like they're over compensating, if you know what I mean...)

My wife has an iPhone. She also has an iPad3. She got the iPad, iPad2, and even the iPad3 all when they came out.

Who's over compensating here? :D

Have to support Steller here, I am sitting here typing on an iMac, I have an iPad, iPhone 4S, own and love my Apple TV 2nd Generation and waiting for my MacBook Pro to be returned after it died a horrible death lol. I love my Apple products and have no issue admitting to be a complete fanboy :-D

Here's my two buckazoids:

PC vs. Mac: PC. Why? Because it, you know, actually supports stuff. ;) Sorry Mac, but let's face it - Windows is the consumer standard, and that means 90% of everything on the Internet program-wise is aimed at it. There's nothing *wrong* with Mac per se, but I need something that will actually run programs without someone having to write a port first.

Smartphones: I don't even have one. :P Smartphones are oriented towards 1) social networking, and 2) portable Internet access, and neither has any real appeal to me. I dislike social networking on principle - it's pretty much the antithesis of a shy lurker type like me :( - and I'm not *so* addicted to the Internet that I can't afford to be without it for a few hours. Frankly, if I had a 'Net-capable phone I'd never get anything else done. :P As for games, most of the stuff on there is shallow shovelware compared to what I can play on my Nintendo and Sony game handhelds - if you're going to play video games, you may as well go whole-hog. ;)

iPad: I really don't see the point. It's basically an iPhone, without the actual "phone" part - all you really get in exchange is a bigger screen. I can see how it could be treated like a laptop computer, except it's even more limited in its ability to interact with the PC/Windows standard than a desktop Mac is. Plus, I want an actual physical keyboard - I hate entering text by touch screen. It's too slow, and as you can see, I have a *lot* of text to put out. :P

• 2 weeks later...

Have to support Steller here, I am sitting here typing on an iMac, I have an iPad, iPhone 4S, own and love my Apple TV 2nd Generation and waiting for my MacBook Pro to be returned after it died a horrible death lol. I love my Apple products and have no issue admitting to be a complete fanboy :-D

Hahaha yes! I was starting to think I was alone here. I shoulda known this might happen before starting the thread though. Truthfully, Windows is really the only serious platform for desktop computer gaming, as a Mac fan I can admit that quite freely. Though one can install Windows ON a Mac. Regardless, never wanted this thread to turn into a Mac vs. PC thread though. It was kinda intended as a place for Space Quest fans who also happened to be Apple fans to come and discuss the company and its latest news and products. Oh well. Worse things happen at sea. Y'all gotta admit though. The new retina MacBook Pro is HOT!

2.7GHz i7 Quad Core Ivy Bridge processor with turboboost up to 3.7GHz

16GB DDR3SL Ram

768GB SSD

NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB of GDDR5 memory AND Intel HD Graphics 4000

2880 x 1800 15" retina display

And all in an incredibly thin and light form factor! Just awesome.

Posted Image

• 3 weeks later...

Well, might as well jump in here...

I'm a PC guy. And by that, I mean "I hate cell phones". If my employer didn't require me to have a cell phone, I wouldn't have one. That said, that eliminates nearly all of the Apple lineup for me.

Now, for the irony... I run Linux. Have for over a decade now. Even my company laptop runs Linux, and when I need a Windows app, I run a virtual copy of Windows under it. Note, this makes me very unusual in my segment of my company. Everyone else in my division runs Windows XP or possibly 7. Thus, you'd think I wouldn't be tied to Windows and would be a natural for an Apple.

But, I'm not. I'm too cheap. ;)

Brian

I'm a PC guy. And by that, I mean "I hate cell phones". If my employer didn't require me to have a cell phone, I wouldn't have one. That said, that eliminates nearly all of the Apple lineup for me.

Now, for the irony... I run Linux.

Another one looking forward to SpaceVenture on Linux :D

Regarding Apple, I had a PPC ibook which I enjoyed very much. It got assimilated with Linux as soon as I got it though, it was the hardware not the software that I favored. Not quite as happy with modern Apple after they dumped PowerPCs and started bringing ridiculous patent suits against all their competitors, of the sort that would have killed off a young Apple start if Xerox had been similarly nasty.

Another one looking forward to SpaceVenture on Linux :D

Regarding Apple, I had a PPC ibook which I enjoyed very much. It got assimilated with Linux as soon as I got it though, it was the hardware not the software that I favored. Not quite as happy with modern Apple after they dumped PowerPCs and started bringing ridiculous patent suits against all their competitors, of the sort that would have killed off a young Apple start if Xerox had been similarly nasty.

Oh, well, yes, I actually found Apple interesting back when they were running the PPC processors. Now they're not much more than a premium hardware boutique to me. Good hardware, yes, but not worth the premium. My only PPC hardware is an IBM RS/6000 machine that I recovered from the scrap heap (at least, it was headed that way). And yes, it runs Linux. :D

Welcome and glad to have you here!

Brian

Hey, when I was in college in the early '90s, the head IT guy was an early Linux adopter, running the library on an RS/6000! I wasn't into Linux yet myself back then, unlike one of my best friends who was working for the IT guy... thought I was going to be a hardware engineer rather than software

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

September 12th...new iPhone...almost here!

While I love my iPhone (I really do I use it for everything possible). With Apple I have come to skipping every other generation of devices. So I will end up with the next new iPad and the iPhone 6. I use my computers till they are dead though lol my iMac is a 2011 so I am not even thinking of upgrading it for a while.