Spread this amongst your web design/dev friends

Rahul

I put together a page of copy calling HTML5 and adventure gaming fans to arms:

http://helpthetwoguys.handcraft.com/

Please spread this amongst any web developers, software engineers, Googlers, design geeks, etc that you can find - it may help get some more pledges by people who want to see a great HTML5 project happen on top of people who just want to see the game. It may be a viable angle that I'd like to try out.

Try not to post this in the Kickstarter comments, though - that isn't the right crowd, as we've seen ;-)

Thanks!

PS. This is not a confirmation of HTML5 being the final tech used in the game, or even any comment by us on the matter. Like you guys, I don't know what the Two Guys will end up deciding - I can just hold out hope, like any good fan of both HTML5 and Space Quest, that they decide to combine the two. :-) Just FYI so you don't get any strange ideas ;-)

PS. This is not a confirmation of HTML5 being the final tech used in the game, or even any comment by us on the matter. Like you guys, I don't know what the Two Guys will end up deciding - I can just hold out hope, like any good fan of both HTML5 and Space Quest, that they decide to combine the two. :-) Just FYI so you don't get any strange ideas ;-)

Sadly, your opening line says - or at least - indicates - just the opposite. It seems (with the opening line) that you're saying that HTML5 will be used.

While I sort of agree that this could be seen as disingenuous, I think the point of such a webpage is to try and convert those who believe in the power of HTML but are frustrated at it's low take up.

I think this is a great idea - but I also think that the target audience is reasonably small. Hopefully large enough to bring in another 5 figures, though.

When one ports a game to a new platform, tweaks are made, features added, sacrifices made. This does not necessarily mean that design compromises always have to be made; simply that differences exist between ports. For example; the tablet version of the prototypes use a touch-and-wait interface to present the action icons. I doubt that the desktop versions would need such a feature.

Likewise, the tablet versions of SpaceVenture may eschew parts of the parser; perhaps they will have slightly different hotspots to accomplish the same puzzles, etc. The point is that if there is a way to export the game assets and some large aspects of game logic to multiple platforms (such as engines that can export to Flash, etc), then the possibility of a playable HTML5 target could be a reality. It has been my experience with code generation tools that such an exercise is invariably coupled with hand-massaging on each port. But, this is fine, and ought to be expected. The higher quality the output tool, the more flexible the game assets, and the more skilled and funded the development team, the easier this process is.

I'm extremely excited at the prospect of playing this game (and, with luck, its many successors) natively on my Linux desktop, and then later working a puzzle on my Android mobile while waiting in line, having a friend help me with a difficult part that he demonstrates on his Mac laptop, watching Let's Play's on YouTube posted by Windows gamers, etc. I see no reason that HTML5 can't play a part in that, and be a vehicle to sell the game commercially on the Chrome App Market, the upcoming Mozilla HTML5 App Market, and of course iOS.

I hope that this vision of an open web utilizing open standards can be realized alongside the traditional desktop paradigm (the one on which I rely more than anything else).

You know, I was thinking about this HTML5 thing the other day. It reminds me a bit about the late 80s/early 90s with Sierra.

What made Sierra's games great (apart from the actual quality of the stories, the graphics, the gameplay, etc.) was that they were pushing the boundaries of the systems they coded. The graphics they managed to get out of SQ1 and SQ2 were truly remarkable given the quality of monitors and the processing power of the machines at that time.

People say that HTML5 is limiting, cannot do this, cannot do that. But I wonder whether people have a) lost that pioneering spirit and B) forgotten the point of coding.

In the late 90s we, for the first time, had hardware that outpaced software. Rather than trying to tidy things up and make it efficient on machines, coders just got something that "worked" and slapped it into the games. No need to save space when you're writing 30MB games on a disk that holds 700MB. No need to optimise code when it will run on a 500MHz machine and a large section of the target audience has 1.2GHz processors. No need to optimise memory usage if the game is using 500MB of RAM when most machines hold 2GB.

Games companies had to make games quickly and get them to market without really sitting down and making the machine do something beyond the ordinary. Current games makers aren't constrained by their hardware (at least not to the same extent) and the limits of games really are the imaginations of the conglomerates which fund them.

I have no doubt that with a pioneering spirit (which we know the games makers of the 80s had), they can do some wonderful things with HTML5, pushing it places even the designers didn't know it could go to. Assuming, of course, that they use it.

Rahul I love your work, really do - and seeing the amazing recent prototypes I'm 100% on board with using HTML5 for the game.

....but can we get that HTML5 plea page to validate as HTML5? :)

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fhelpthetwoguys.handcraft.com%2F&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline&group=0

• 3 weeks later...

You know, I was thinking about this HTML5 thing the other day. It reminds me a bit about the late 80s/early 90s with Sierra.

What made Sierra's games great (apart from the actual quality of the stories, the graphics, the gameplay, etc.) was that they were pushing the boundaries of the systems they coded. The graphics they managed to get out of SQ1 and SQ2 were truly remarkable given the quality of monitors and the processing power of the machines at that time.

People say that HTML5 is limiting, cannot do this, cannot do that. But I wonder whether people have a) lost that pioneering spirit and B) forgotten the point of coding.

I have the same "wonder". People often forget the burden of porting a the cost of doing of business back then; The Sarien Encounter, for example, was on PC, Amiga, Atari ST, Macintosh, Apple II, and Apple IIGS... it's hard to imagine platforms more different. At least five different OS's, across three CPU's (four, really, if you considered using any 65C816 features outside of 65C02 emulation mode), different audio & video hardware, etc.

Quite often, this cost is referenced as a drag on the innovation of games (i.e., spend money & energies on XBox console games only, get better games). Certainly there is an argument to be made, but I have a huge problem with this line of thinking. Would anyone, for example, give up The Pirates of Pestulon for Gears of Modern Warfare: Reach?

Edited by s_d

Part of the intent of AGI was to make it easier to port to the various platforms.

Precisely. Which means I have no doubt that these guys will produce something (assuming they use HTML5) which will be just as portable. Maybe something that could be used by other developers? Maybe something that would allow a whole new generation of AGI games.

Sorry. 2GFAGI.

Pronunciation - Too-guh-fag-ee.

Well said.

I actually *cough* downloaded the code for LCA4 to see if I could find a code for beating the Cluck Y'Egger game and man, that is beautiful code. It is not an understatement to say that those guys over at Q42 are codemasters. It not only functions perfectly, it's actually pretty to look at. I salute them for their "pioneering spirit".

On a side note, I couldn't find a code. Was that just a red herring from Space Pope or are my html5 dissection skills woefully inadequate? (Could be both I suppose.)

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...