Mixnmojo: Is Paul Trowe of Replay Sabotaging Other Kickstarters?

You live on your own with a wife? :) (Yes, I have clearly picked up on the main take-home message from that presentation...)

Well, despite my best efforts - no one lets me borrow their wives!

Is any wife truly in the possession of the man? Harldy ever. And not in this case. She kindly lets me live under the same roof and shoves me in my man cave with my Sierra games, D&D books and comic collection. Me? A nerd? Whatever gave you THAT idea!

I have no clue what's going on.. But it seems to me like there is definitely a behind the scenes tug of war going on to tarnish a public image.. Paul obviously has no problem saying exactly what is on his mind publicly so I kind of doubt he made fake accounts but that WAS his picture they used.. Then there is the multiple uses of ip addys from Chicago so there is some underhanded things going on against replay trying to get people to ask for their money back... Its possible someone used Paula pic made posts and then said "oh look what I found" the only people motivated to do that is wisecrack games who are blaming Paul's public statements about their game... Wisecrack who in my opinion already has been pretty sleazy in their presentation of their product.. But who really knows... honestly

do we care? This was all on my phone excuse any mistakes

Classy response from my old friend Paul. :huh:

On the Wisecrack thing, I don't know how many people have followed the AdventureGamers thread:

http://www.adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/172/P90

Steve Ince from Wisecrack has been highly professional regarding the Wisecrack/Replay thing, which cannot be said for Paul. I doubt he's invovled in any underhanded stuff.

Anywho, I'm sick of reading about this. This guy needs to disappear until there's Larry news to come out.

On the wives and girlfriends thing, I think Tawnis, Drslash and Frede are all 100%.. Tawmis's comment about being stuck in a man cave feels awfully familiar!

Welcome to the forums, Raiden. You certainly kicked off with a well-written post that raises more than a few very valid points.

I think you are spot-on in everything you write. So let me just add another smoking gun to your conclusions on this whole charade. Apart from the concerns raised by Mixnmojo, there was an incident a while ago where someone trusted by the Guys delibrately misled them into thinking the "Space Quest"-IP and the rights for the "Two Guys from Andromeda"-name resided with Telltale, and not Activision and they previously believed. It took around two weeks of phone calls and voice mails for them to find out that the rights in question were still owned by Activision, and had been so all along. Meanwhile, however, they had lost about two weeks of press because they didn't want to face the legal troubles they would get themselves in, had the rights been with Telltale. Adding to that, it's a fairly open secret that the Kickstarter has seen some quite odd activity apart from the negative comments.

I'm somewhat sure that the perpetrator for all this stuff is known by the Two Guys. But obviously, since this kind of behaviour might do more harm than good for their project, they'd be keeping the identity of the person confidential in any case. But this goes to show that there is definitely more to this mess, and that it's certainly not getting prettier.

Us "Space Quest"-fans are just grateful that the Kickstarter seems to be on the right track now and some of us are quite content with this discussion being brought up, as long as it's kept on a civil level.

I think the only thing we can say for sure is that there will not be a super Wisecrack + Replay super teamup any time soon.... Its also very possible everyone is just looking for a conspiracy from both sides that actually isnt there... I mean I bet if we tried hard enough we could tie anyones posts to another person.. its like 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon.... Do you Non-Yanks know or play that game?

Its possible someone used Paula pic made posts and then said "oh look what I found" the only people motivated to do that is wisecrack games who are blaming Paul's public statements about their game...

I'm all for considering different theories, even ones I don't want to agree with. It is indeed possible that someone's framing Paul. It's possible that this someone is Wisecrack. Although there doesn't seem to be a reason for them to troll SpaceVenture, it's possible they did it anyway to make gamespygeek look even more like Paul Trowe, since he does have a motive to sabotage tgakick.

Disclaimer: "possible" does not imply "likely".

And given the information I have, it seems more likely that gamespygeek is PT and not just someone trying to look like him and hurting other projects (SV) as collateral damage. Occam's razor :)

PS. If you're doubting PT's motive for sabotaging the SV kickstarter, consider that:

1. He originally wanted the Two Guys to join Replay, but was turned down.

2. He publically expressed his anger over that.

3. He recently tweeted that if the kickstarter fails, Replay may swoop in and "save the day", achieving his original goal.

The theories claiming PT is being framed seem to ignore the fact that Gamespygeek started posting early on the Leisure Suit Larry campaign, with posts that were very defensive of LSL and Replay. His first post on the LSL project comments is dated April 4.

The negative posts started only with SpaceVenture, with the 'opening salvo' made in the update of May 21.

Sam Suede only launched their Kickstarer on May 30. How could Wisecrack predict the developments that followed and make those posts under Gamespygeek's name so well in advance? IMHO if they could do that they'd be funding Sam Suede from spare change coming out of their stock market investments...

For reference here's a list of Gamespygeek's posts prior to the Mixnmojo article: http://pastebin.com/APpNyyPZ

Of course all those comments are still on KS too if you wish to dig there.

Yeah, I could post further opinion and hearsay, but it's been said.

What needs to be said.. Great post Raiden. You were posting on the AG forums, which I linked to. I agree with what you said, it was jumping the gun to post an article, although from my Sierra contacts I've heard Paul Trowe is very much in damage control over it, so it's unlikely if he is involved with any of this that there'll be incidents anytime soon (from what I hear)

Only thing I'll add to mjomble's Paul Trowe motives is that he posted also on Facebook that because US Activision wasn't going to give the rights to Space Quest, whether the UK division would yield better results (or words to that effect).And that research neded to be made into that avenue. that tells us something, given he wrote that AFTER his conciliatory posts on these forums saying he was 100% behind the Two Guys and regretted his actions, and all that.

One thing I think we should keep in mind is that if Wisecrack are actually staging this and it backfires, it will hurt their project financially. Pledges will be withdrawn, word on their actions will get out there, Al Lowe might take action - the whole nine yards. Basically, being caught with their fingers stuck in the cookie jar here would mean the death of their project.

Again, I'm not after a Paul Trowe lynch mob here, but as I, like drslashvohaul, find the discussion very much worth having, let me ask you guys this. Do you think that Wisecrack would be able to stage all this crap and then suddenly forget that they're actually the ones at risk? Sure, they'd have sabotaged the 2GFA Kickstarter, but their own project would be as much in danger.

Like it or not - objectively speaking, the projects that are secured financially are better candidates for this.

Paul Trowe's done very bad moves/word choices in his announcements/tweets.

People are already turning against him and this gamespygeek thing points at Replay Games.

This makes me a bit worried:

post-3-0-65525900-1340132318_thumb.png

I have a bad feeling this is going to turn ugly..

Two Guys already made it clear they are not interested in joining Replay games.

Unless something's changed, this looks like bad news.

Whatever. The fans will respond to this. If Replay ends up getting Space Quest then it doesn't matter. I will not support it without the Two Guys and neither will many others. He may try to play with words to make it sound awesome, but the best way to combat this is to not support it without the Two Guys. If they don't want to join with Replay then I don't care what they do with Space Quest. It's not Space Quest without them. I'd rather see SQ solely in the hands of 2GFA, myself. I'd also rather see new games anyway. I wouldn't mind if another Space Quest never came out, as long as the Two Guys are still making games.

Agree with both of you. It really is pretty much irrelevant whether Paul Trowe and/or his group are "really" "guilty" of the things their accused of. What's most important is that the Two Guys get their project funded.

Getting the SQ IP is irrelevant too. Without a company to do anything with it, it seems rather pointless. And if it doesn't go to the Two Guys (or at least the Two Guys aren't employed to create the new game) there's more than enough people who will make damn sure everyone knows that it's not really SQ.

Basically, it will backfire majorly on Paul if these rumours have substance - and it will be pointless for Paul to acquire the SQ IP unless he enters sincere dialogue with the Crowemurphyists.

I agree, at this point what matters is getting the project funded and fully in the hands of the two guys.

However I'd be extraordinarily disappointed if we found that gamespygeek was only the tip of the iceberg and those initial problems Frede mentioned in post #32 also came in the "package".

Those left the kickstarter with almost no media exposure for two weeks and we, the fans, could only do so much to help during that time. I think we'd be in much better shape now if things had started off at full speed as they should. As it stands we'll be glad to make the bare minimum.

Now, any developer knows that $500,000 isn't really much for a multi-platform, complex, new game like SpaceVenture. I think Rahul himself confirmed this in the comments. Unless they find additional funding, budgeting all costs, business expenses and rewards will no doubt require some heavy trimming.

So my concern is that - because of those two weeks in that tar pit someone planted - SpaceVenture won't be as good as it could have been.

Paul Trowe's done very bad moves/word choices in his announcements/tweets.

People are already turning against him and this gamespygeek thing points at Replay Games.

This makes me a bit worried:

http://pcj.bz/PTroweSQ.png

I have a bad feeling this is going to turn ugly..

Two Guys already made it clear they are not interested in joining Replay games.

Unless something's changed, this looks like bad news.

I don't think Paul Trowe really understands business (surprise, surprise) if he thinks a development studio subsidiary is going to have any control over the intellectual property owned by the parent company, Activision.

Activision already owns another studio in the UK, FreeStyleGames, and has done so since 2008. They also own three studios in Canada, and one in Ireland. Regardless of whether he thinks they might be more "reasonable," he could contact all of them and each one would tell him the same thing: "We just develop games, you'll have to contact Activision management in head office to discuss IP licencing."

I think we can rest safe that he won't be getting the Space Quest IP any time soon, and the whole thing just serves to highlight his ineptitude and underhandedness.

I agree, at this point what matters is getting the project funded and fully in the hands of the two guys.

However I'd be extraordinarily disappointed if we found that gamespygeek was only the tip of the iceberg and those initial problems Frede mentioned in post #32 also came in the "package".

Those left the kickstarter with almost no media exposure for two weeks and we, the fans, could only do so much to help during that time. I think we'd be in much better shape now if things had started off at full speed as they should. As it stands we'll be glad to make the bare minimum.

Now, any developer knows that $500,000 isn't really much for a multi-platform, complex, new game like SpaceVenture. I think Rahul himself confirmed this in the comments. Unless they find additional funding, budgeting all costs, business expenses and rewards will no doubt require some heavy trimming.

So my concern is that - because of those two weeks in that tar pit someone planted - SpaceVenture won't be as good as it could have been.

Don't worry - everyone here knows that the manipulative "someone" was lying through his teeth. Chris and the Two Guys know too. There are no rights issues to speak of with SpaceVenture, fortunately.

As for insufficient funds, there'll be a PayPal donation phase after the Kickstarter has ended. And if that crosses into July, I think we'll see a moderate increase there - there must be other people like me who aren't really able to pledge more till after payday, but would gladly chip in with a little more if they get the chance.