SQ Minecraft Server/Website Launched

Posted Image

The Minecraft server is finally up, along with its website! The instructions on how to access the server and all the server information is included as well. As a bonus there is a downloads section for the Ulence Flats world texture pack (which makes Ulence Flats look authentic to the original AGI game) and a collection of Roger Wilco Minecraft skin for your character avatars! More to come in the future. Email suggestions or even submit content for other ideas for downloads if you feel like it!

ulence.png ulenceflats.png

The server at the moment has 4 worlds: The Hub - a portal hub to the different worlds, the Survival World - for standard Survival Multiplayer play (pvp disabled), The Arcada - as yet, the lower levels are unfinished but getting there, and Ulence Flats - the original creation by Chris Pope! The SQ worlds and the Hub are view-only and are basically just cool places to hang out and chat. Only Admins and trusted Builders will be able to manipulate these worlds. If you'd like to be a Builder and help complete the SQ worlds send myself or PCJ a message.

The rules are pretty straightforward. Don't grief (destroy creations), be respectful/ethical, don't steal others' stuff or build on their land, etc. I don't think there's any cause for overly strict rules at this point. We're all fairly smart. We'll deal with issues as we come to them. Just have fun! If you have any problems, hit up one of the admins (myself, pcj, or Chris Pope). If none of us are on the server, email/message us or just post here on the forums. Likewise, if you have any suggestions or submissions (skins, custom plugins, whatever) let us know!

arcada.png

In the future there's all kinds of possibilities for different community events and projects like building contests or chats with the Two Guys right on the server etc. In those instances we'll have a plugin which will link SQN's IRC chat to the Minecraft server's chat and someone will be able to stream video on Justin.tv or something so everyone can watch and be a part of it.

That's about it. Happy mining/crafting! Once again the links are:

Minecraft Server IP: minecraft.guysfromandfromeda.com

The doors are made with redstone powered pistons triggered by pressure plates. The elevators don't really work. They just contain warp regions which warp to another region via a plugin for the Bukkit server. That won't work in single player. If there's enough interest I might make a tutorial video on how to create them. Nothing too difficult really, you just need an XOR redstone logic gate, connect the two input ends to each pressure plate and the output end to the sticky pistons holding iron/diamond/whatever blocks.

The doors are made with redstone powered pistons triggered by pressure plates. The elevators don't really work. They just contain warp regions which warp to another region via a plugin for the Bukkit server. That won't work in single player. If there's enough interest I might make a tutorial video on how to create them. Nothing too difficult really, you just need an XOR redstone logic gate, connect the two input ends to each pressure plate and the output end to the sticky pistons holding iron/diamond/whatever blocks.

We'll I'd like to see how its done. I've seen open from the side, not open from top and bottom.

Griefing is becoming an increasingly annoying issue on the server lately. I don't know who it is, but I suspect it is the same person over and over. I'm getting to the point where I'd like to block all users from manipulating the world at all, and having an admin have to add members to a regular users group to be able to play regularly on the Survival world. Failing that, I may just resort to white-listing the server. That sucks, but morons like griefers make us not able to have nice things conveniently. We'll see what happens. Will be making some changes soon.

Griefing is becoming an increasingly annoying issue on the server lately.

We discussed it with aardvark4lunch yesterday and he had an idea - whitelist the main survival world and add a separate non-moderated survival world.

That way, people could still be on the server without being in the whitelist, apply via the chat if an admin is online, and have something to do while waiting.

And with the main world whitelisted, we can probably replace chest protection with chest usage logging. I'm currently developing a plugin for the latter.

Griefing is becoming an increasingly annoying issue on the server lately. I don't know who it is, but I suspect it is the same person over and over. I'm getting to the point where I'd like to block all users from manipulating the world at all, and having an admin have to add members to a regular users group to be able to play regularly on the Survival world. Failing that, I may just resort to white-listing the server. That sucks, but morons like griefers make us not able to have nice things conveniently. We'll see what happens. Will be making some changes soon.

I'd suggest white listing too. Just make it so someone has to send a PM over the forum to get a spot.

Just remember to whitelist Psyckosama. ;)

If you're willing I'd also like to request a place on the team, though I'm not as good with Redstone as some. I'd like to try and do up the SCS Eurika, though I might need some help with the door engineering.

Excellent!

I'm looking into whitelisting a specific world (or even the world's portal from the Hub) but I can't find anything. Any help is appreciated.

Actually, we could do the same thing as with the SQ worlds - allow everyone to visit, but only members of a certain group to modify the world.

PS. This page should help to configure portal/world access as well: https://github.com/Multiverse/Multiverse-Portals/wiki/Permissions

I guess one issue with this is that even if we disable world access, existing players who had their position saved in the survival world will respawn there. But we could modify their entries in the database directly.

I've actually been trying to do that but it doesn't work for some reason. Right now, the SQ worlds are region-enclosed with WorldGuard restrictions. Can't seem to affect change in Permissions per world for user groups. Or rather I can, but it makes no difference. I think it's an issue of too many places where permissions can be affected in the plugin configurations and one of them is still unlocking everything for group default.

I've blocked off the server for now. I was trying to fix some permissions and everything became corrupted. It was a mess anyway and needs to be started from scratch. I'm going to try and iron everything out in the next couple days and get it back online. Hopefully this time, griefer as well as bug free.

After a few days of re-working the server, I believe I have it finally set up efficiently and without errors. People can claim their own regions with the '/region claim' command (use wooden axe to select areas). Also, from now on players in the "default" group won't be able to do anything outside of the new unmoderated Free Survival World. Trusted players in the "user" group will have building privileges in the moderated Survival World. Builders will have access to advanced commands like WorldEdit and WorldGuard and will be able to to affect changes in the SQ worlds. Default users can '/mail' message any of the admins (musiclyinspired, pcjtulsa, or mjomble) or post here on the forums to request their accounts be upgraded.

That said, if there are any bugs, please let me know. Also, for those of you that were building in the Survival world without causing trouble, I apologize, but most of you are in the default group. I tried to remember a few people I've played with and seen crafting unmischievously and upped their accounts already. Let me know if you're also one of those people, prove why, and I'll upgrade your accounts as well. Also, if anybody breaks the rules (on purpose) you will be permanently banned. No takesie-backsies. That may sound harsh, but the griefing was just unbelievable beforehand. If you're going to be on the trusted Survival World don't blow it. Keep it real or you won't be able to access the server at all.

Hopefully things will work a little more smoothly now! :) Again, let us know if you find any bugs.