Neverending Nights

Tawmis

Posted Image

If you're ever bored and finding yourself with a lot of time on your hands... I introduce to you a project I started back in 2004 with a friend...

It's 64 Episodes of Machinima.

http://neverendingnights.com/

If you're wondering what Machinima is, we talk about it here: http://neverendingnights.com/about (along with some of the things we've accomplished!)

One of the great things was having Al Lowe (who I think everyone recognizes?) and Greg Johnson (maybe not recognized by people - but you should know about the two funkiest aliens besides the Two Guys - being none other than Toejam and Earl) - Greg was one of the writers (and the voice of Earl, among others, in TJ&EIII).

All the videos are available for download here (in various formats)...

http://neverendingnights.com/nenvideos

(If you hit the videos menu you will also get additional options).

If you don't want to download, you can watch them on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.c...verendingnights

Or even on our FB page:

http://www.facebook....ngNights/videos

We parody several things and make all kinds of references to other shows, movies, etc.

What!?! How did I not know about this? As a Linux gamer, there were so few professionally produced games, that it you'd be hard pressed to find one of us from the NWN era without a copy. I played every expansion, and lived for part of a year on one of the persistent worlds (chose the WRONG crafting skill and was miserable, but met good people and had lots of fun anyway). For those like me, NWN holds a special place in our hearts, especially since NWN2 was never ported over (

The deeper I go into the Space Quest community, and the network of people that encompass it, the less concerned I am about keeping busy until SV is out. The fan content alone is many months of entertainment (and that's not even including any written fan fiction, which there is plenty of).

Now, this... WOW.

What!?! How did I not know about this? As a Linux gamer, there were so few professionally produced games, that it you'd be hard pressed to find one of us from the NWN era without a copy. I played every expansion, and lived for part of a year on one of the persistent worlds (chose the WRONG crafting skill and was miserable, but met good people and had lots of fun anyway). For those like me, NWN holds a special place in our hearts, especially since NWN2 was never ported over (

The deeper I go into the Space Quest community, and the network of people that encompass it, the less concerned I am about keeping busy until SV is out. The fan content alone is many months of entertainment (and that's not even including any written fan fiction, which there is plenty of).

Now, this... WOW.

Not sure how you didn't hear about us if you were a NWN fan! We were everywhere back in the day! From being Interviewed by Bioware on their site, article in PC Gamer UK, hired by Atari to do NWN2 promotional videos, and on several other big NWN sites (nwnvault, several NWN related podcasts, even some non NWN related podcasts!) I am very glad I decided to post about it here (probably the only forum I have ever been on that I hadn't immediately posted it as one of my first or second posts about myself!) LOL - Especially since that means reaching another potential fan of something that was very much a labor full of so much love from me!

I always like to warn people that the first 10 episodes are really rough to watch - because we were just learning how to make it work with NWN to make it machinima... We were using cheap things to capture, record, and edit everything - and Season One as a whole was one huge learning experience for us - that I used to springboard us forward into Season 2 (and later Season 3) to make it better than ever. We also spent a considerable amount of money on all kinds of upgrades for equipment, software, hardware, being used to make these.

If you watch these - you have about three or four hours of (hopeful!) entertainment ahead of you! And despite these being old - I'd love to hear any comments - good and bad that you have for each and every episode!

Also, if there's any NWN Forums or sites you still visit - feel free to mention us, in the event there's others who have not seen our stuff! We have unlimited bandwidth - so if suddenly 30 zillion people began downloading the episodes, I wouldn't mind in the least! I'd love it for that matter, to see new people enjoying what we've done!

No idea how I missed out, I frequented nwnvault for sure. I think that, at the time, machinima in general wasn't on my radar (I blame Halo, and by association, Rooster Teeth for that... was *not* a fan of Red vs. Blue). However... great job on these! I see a difference & improvement even between ep 1 and 2. I'm up to ep 6 now...

No idea how I missed out, I frequented nwnvault for sure. I think that, at the time, machinima in general wasn't on my radar (I blame Halo, and by association, Rooster Teeth for that... was *not* a fan of Red vs. Blue). However... great job on these! I see a difference & improvement even between ep 1 and 2. I'm up to ep 6 now...

Hah! You don't even realize how happy I am to know someone else is enjoying the madness!

There's indeed an improvement between Episode 01 and 02. And each episode, all the way up to Episode 10. Once we get to Episode 10, we finally have a good handle on how to do everything. Then that's when we begun really upgrading everything (for hardware, software, etc). Ironically, we would not have done Neverending Nights had it not been for Red vs Blue. But like you, we were utterly sick of all the Halo machinimas out there that were trying to capture the success of Red vs Blue (and this is when RvB was still in its first season!) We started doing Neverending Nights when RvB was like on Episode 6 or 7. And already by that short amount of time, there was a ton of Halo machinimas knocking off RvB. In our first episode, we do a nod to RvB (the two knights that show up in armor are nods to Caboose and Grif of RvB, who happened to be our favorite characters of RvB). Eage eyes will spot those two knights in several episodes walking around in the background.

Each guest character that gets introduced (for example in Episode 06), their character traits that are displayed (for example Alan the Astounding's massive drinking) are all references to real life events. For example, the guy who did the voice of Alan the Astounding (Chad) had tried to our drink me on a booze cruise many of us had gone on; needless to say, I literally out drank him to the point that he passed out in the middle of walking back to his room with his girlfriend. (He literally simply collapsed!) You have already met Poppy the Salt Vendor, whose love of salt (in real life) knows no bounds - she literally puts salt on everything. I think once you get to Episode 10 or 11 you will really begin to enjoy yourself. The true story telling begins in Season 2. (Season 1 is pretty much just setting everything up).

• 6 months later...
  • 3 years later...

So back in 2004 (November) - my friend and I began a trek of creating a Neverwinter Nights machinima series called Neverending Nights - and much to our surprise, found folks who enjoyed the madness we had created. The series concluded after 65 episodes (ending in Jan 2013).

I have bounced back and forth with returning to the series and beginning a new adventure - but a lot of the original actors have long since moved out of San Diego. (And I dislike recording over Skype or other means; when it's not a controlled environment where it's very quiet), because several episodes suffered because of it (in terms of audio).

Well, the other day - someone had mentioned that the series is still pretty fun - but pretty rough at 800x600 resolution when they expand it to full screen (it blurs horrible and pixelates).

So then I thought - why don't I re-film the entire series and do what I can to "fix" the audio (as much as possible; in some cases, there's just going to be no helping it, for example when some lines were recorded by someone who lived on the other side of the US and recorded their lines on an iPhone).

Here is the original Episode 01:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3LXflc9np4

And here is the re-filmed 1080p (true HD) version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Wr4-u9-zw0

I plan on re-releasing each episode every Saturday (for the next 65 Saturdays, as time permits).

If you enjoyed the new HD version; please share it and help get the word out. I'd GREATLY appreciate it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

With more and more people being asked to remain inside with the current state of things...

I figured I'd mention it here specifically, I do a web series using the Neverwinter Nights game engine.

I wrote the story, filmed the series, edited the voices, did the whole bit - and had my friends, and even some professionals (Al Lowe, creator of Leisure Suit Larry, Greg Johnson creator of Toejam and Earl, Lindsay Archer, professional artist and good friend) - all lend voices to the series.

I originally started it in 2004 (late, so closer to 2005) and "finished" it in 2013. It ran 65 episodes. Just a few years ago, I got it in my head to go back and refilm the series (because originally it was 800x600, then 1024x768, then who knows what - but all of it using a free editor so the quality really suffered).

Now I am redoing it all - in 1080p (1920x1080) - with all new footage, cleaning up the audio where I can, etc.

It's been wonderful revisiting this series. I am currently (as of Saturday evening) on Episode 49 out of 65.

Seems like a good time, for anyone who may have time on their hands to catch up on the series.

And please, by all means, if you enjoyed any of it - please share. Word of mouth is the best form of advertising, because it's coming from a trusted source, rather than a paid source.

Much love, Tawmis.

Play list on Youtube (starting from Episode 01) - begins here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Wr4-u9-zw0&list=PLbRG7dzFI-u3EJd0usasgDrrFO3mZ1lOZ&index=1

(Don't forget to click the gear icon to set it to 1080p, because it typically defaults to 720p on Youtube)

If you're more the "I have a ton of bandwidth and want to push the limits of your website and download these" type of person, you can do that too:
http://neverendingnights.com/nenvideos/all-hq-episodes

• 11 months later...