Space Quest for the Next Generation

JRock3x8

Awesome share, sir!

And above, you state why I hated the point and click interface, when that took over Sierra games. It ripped away some of the intuitive requirements to play the games. One could simply click all over the screen, rotating between the different icons, until something happened.

The thing about mice is that people who learned how to use computers before mice hate them and people who learned how to use computers after them don't understand how to use a PC without one.

I see it both ways although when it comes to hardcore work time in excel I touch my mouse as little as possible.

As far as typing skills go, it was most definitely online chats that did it for me. I knew a guy in high school who eventually went to go work for both yahoo and google who wrote this chat software that was really great. Made some lifelong friends on that thing.

Funny. I never ever got into or so much as looked at a Kings Quest game. I played space quest 1, 3, half of 4 and police quest 1, 2 and maybe 3. Can't remember.

Soon after I moved into sports sims. There was a crazy hockey game that let you play season after season and your players skills would actually progress depending on how well you played which back then was kind of crazy. And then of course there was front page sports football. But we're way off topic here. :)

Sadly, the PC "driver game" is what drove me to consoles in 2003. I got so sick of my PC games crashing all the time.

I'm going to support your argument by going off topic again. :)

Another one of my favorite video game franchises is Mechwarrior. Mechwarrior at its core is COMPLETELY Incomprehensible. It's so complicated you need like 5 spreadsheets to keep track of all the numbers. But that's what makes it great. Rewind to 2002 when MechAssault came out (which I loved for different reasons) - that game took away A LOT of what made Mechwarrior great. I think that pirhana is getting back to the incomprehensible side of the ledger with their new game due out sometime this summer.

My point is that point and click adventure games have their place and can be great but ultimately it subtracts from the formula that you and I know and love as space quest.

Funny. I never ever got into or so much as looked at a Kings Quest game. I played space quest 1, 3, half of 4 and police quest 1, 2 and maybe 3. Can't remember.

You want to play King's Quest IV and VI, at least.

Sadly, the PC "driver game" is what drove me to consoles in 2003. I got so sick of my PC games crashing all the time.

On this we agree. I do about 95% of my gaming on console now. Even though I just bought a souped up PC.

I'm going to support your argument by going off topic again. :)

I think the general rule (someone can slap me if I am wrong; or slap me because they enjoy doing it) - off topic is fine, as long as things remain civil. :)

Another one of my favorite video game franchises is Mechwarrior. Mechwarrior at its core is COMPLETELY Incomprehensible. It's so complicated you need like 5 spreadsheets to keep track of all the numbers. But that's what makes it great. Rewind to 2002 when MechAssault came out (which I loved for different reasons) - that game took away A LOT of what made Mechwarrior great. I think that pirhana is getting back to the incomprehensible side of the ledger with their new game due out sometime this summer.

My point is that point and click adventure games have their place and can be great but ultimately it subtracts from the formula that you and I know and love as space quest.

Loved MechWarrior also - used to get it on the LAN and have several of us in the garage and just jump on and blast the hell out of each other. ("You did not just jump into an Atlas! You son of a - BOOM!")

But as for point and click - oh yes, they have their place. Just like most things do. I just don't think they helped Adventure (Sierra) Games. I think it impaired them.

For me, it's what helped me to type as quickly as I do, and spell... On the business side of it (opposite of my view), they probably saw point and click easier, and thus could target more people. (Like kids and such who may not have enjoyed learning how to type and spell... and look at the kids today...) ;)

speaking of mechwarrior, that gets relaunched as a free to play game this year (mwomercs.com) along with like THIRTEEN OTHER MECH GAMES - it's crazy.

So I risked marital strife by dropping $300 on a quad core system last week. :)

We may be battling side by side in mechs in the near future then, sir.

:)