Hero-U - New game from Lori & Corey Cole

rogerxy

From some reason not really an instant back for me. Something about the pitch video just didn't do it for me, so I'll be lurking the project for updates before I make my final decision.

I'd like to see/hear more about Hero-U's gameplay. The "sample dungeon" graphics from the pitch video struck me as having a definite 16-bit Zelda vibe. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but I'm curious to learn more about how combat and NPC interaction will work.

Jess

I don't have anything against the game style itself. It does remind me of Zelda as well and I do like Zelda. But it just hasn't grabbed my full attnetion either yet, it doesn't feel like a must have game, at least for now. But maybe some future update will fix that. It took me quite a while to pledge on Jane Jensen's project as well.

The story sounds sounds pretty cool to me, with alternate paths

http://kotaku.com/5953028/the-creators-of-quest-for-glory-want-to-make-a-western-version-of-persona

"As you progress, you'll be able to choose whether to play your hero—Shawn O'Connor, a dirt-poor burglar—as a noble rogue or a nasty thief. You can learn how to become a hero, or you can go totally evil and try to take over the thieves guild, Corey said."

I'd like to see/hear more about Hero-U's gameplay. The "sample dungeon" graphics from the pitch video struck me as having a definite 16-bit Zelda vibe. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but I'm curious to learn more about how combat and NPC interaction will work.

There has been some discussion of gameplay in the interviews that have been coming out, for example:

"We will have an Action Point system so that you can choose between doing a single, powerful action during your "turn" or a couple of smaller actions (such as stab and dodge) or move to improve your tactical position. I won't allow combats to turn into 10-minute marathons, but there will be more choices than in Quest for Glory.

The main feature of the Rogue character will be item use – Your Rogue will supplement his basic skills with a variety of items that let him do some unusual actions. We plan to keep the same basic interface for each game in the Hero-U series, but each character type will have a different flavor in combat."

http://www.rpgcodex....ent.php?id=8549

"For the Rogue, we decided it’s going to be an item-heavy experience. You’ll be working with poisons, traps, learning how to set traps in classes, and running around to get monsters and so on. That’s the point we’re making with the Rogue – he’s a trickster. He’s got to be able to survive even though he’s not the best fighter, and he does it by being smart."

http://www.rockpaper...on-going-rogue/

"To fight monsters and people both in the catacombs and elsewhere, you'll use a turn-based, "action point"-driven combat system. You can use points to move around, activate special abilities like World of Warcraft-ish poisons, or find ways to trap, split, and disable enemies using what Lori calls 'a thinking person's way of dealing with combat.' "

http://kotaku.com/5953028/the-creators-of-quest-for-glory-want-to-make-a-western-version-of-persona

At the end of the day, I like where they're going with combat, etc, but that's all window-dressing. I care about story, which the Coles will deliver in droves, and from what I've read, talked to the Coles about, etc, the focus will not be on HD art or photorealism, but rather, solid plot, RPG action, and above all, their mantra, FUN. That's what I care about, immersion and gameplay, not pretty, pointless things or pure looting or pure plot. QFG was always about balance an I feel really confident that they're following some of an old formula and a major new twist.

Without wishing to diss the Guys, and I would have always pledged for SV no matter what, I feel this KS is more exciting in many ways. They're promising a lot and asking for not much. Plus, the team is very promising and Corey and Lori have been very open. They get major kudos in my book for that alone.

Anyway, stay tuned. This will be a keeper.

Oh, yes. I will definitely be contributing to this one as soon as I get the money. I *love* the QfG games, and if Hero-U has even half the spirit and attention to world-building that they did, it'll be one heck of a ride. :D

We will have an Action Point system so that you can choose between doing a single, powerful action during your "turn" or a couple of smaller actions (such as stab and dodge) or move to improve your tactical position.

Sounds just like the Fallout games...the original ones, I mean. Movement on a hex-based grid, with movement and combat actions (attacking, changing posture, accessing inventory, etc.) all costing AP that gets refilled each turn. Sounds good to me. :lol:

For a game that values honor and heroism, you QfG fans sure are a perverted lot.

QfG will do that to you. ;) This is the series that had thieves sneaking through a harem to avoid the guards (and grinning all the while), an Easter egg involving X-ray glasses and pixelated nudity, and conversations with Budar and Nawar in QfG5, who between the two of them have enough innuendo to put Mae West to shame. Playing hero makes one popular with the ladies, it seems. :D

Sounds just like the Fallout games...the original ones, I mean.

Well if we wanted to get all technical and split hairs, Fallout 3 and New Vegas incorporated the action points and "called shots" system as well, albeit in a more FPS-oriented way. It's actually implemented quite well, IMHO. I recall using it as an example when I explained it to Lori and Corey on Facebook back when they asked for suggestions regarding combat systems. [/shameless fanboying]

A little more on-topic, I agree with the sentiment regarding chipping in when possible. Just when it seems like I've got a few bucks to pony up for the Kickstarter, real life rears its ugly head and gives me a good kick in the wallet.

And as far as QFG and it's naughty streak goes, the Thief was the only one who got any fanservice, really, and it was a situation where if he so much as blinked at those women the wrong way he'd have been dead along with the rest of the world. And the rest of the series was pretty tame, seeing as it was usually ladies flirting with the (ever-silent) Hero. I like to think Devon was too much of a gentleman to take them up on their advances. ;) Come to think of it, I think the only ones who ever flirted with him were the two harem women (in their reappearance in QFG 5) and a few evil NPCs that tried to lure him to his death by being flirty. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, I haven't played QFG in years.

True, I had forgotten about them. But it all fits within the context of Shapier, and in both of those cases, it's the female character testing the "Hero" by flirting with him. Aziza might look pretty, but the second you try and make a move she'll throw you out on your ear, and Dinarzad is the Chief Thief; she acts coy with you, but if you step out of line you'll find yourself out of work and possibly missing a hand courtesy of her bodyguard. Good catch though, QFG 2 has always been the game I've sort of glossed over, for some reason.

Lori has been hanging out at the comment thread quite a bit lately, and we've been having fun talking with her. Maybe some of you fence-sitters should sign up for a buck just to have a nice time chatting about QfG days and ask a few questions to get a better idea of whether or not the new Hero-U series will include the aspects that you enjoyed.

Excerpt from discussion this morning about Hero-U combat approach:

speedster:

"DreamFall adventure game had some awkward fighting sequences that I could have done without, but I've enjoyed a range of other "combat" styles -- everything from classic party-based RPG combat (Bard's Tale, Might and Magic, Baldur's Gate II) to FPS (Doom, Hexen, Quake, Unreal...) to army-based strategic combat (Hero's of Might and Magic series) to skills click-fest (Diablo II, WoW) and even a bit of JRPG turn-based combat (Chronocross). The Hero-U combat sounds like a new variant that is more suited than that other stuff for an adventure-game setting -- single character to keep it personal, turn-based to use thinking instead of reflexes, and combining of items and environment along with a portfolio of skills to "solve" battles against monsters rather than just adding up various kinds of points to be "tougher" and overpower the monster with higher points in some attribute (higher damage, more hit points, whatever)."

Lori:

"@speedster - precisely! Although in the end, some of the combats in Hero-U will probably boil down to having the right magical doohickey or potion to make a monster vulnerable and then beating them on the head with a stick until they fall over, many of them will take some serious puzzle solving to defeat.

Combat won't be as much of an adrenalin rush as it was in QfG or WoW, but it won't be boring, either. No "hit the rat, kill the rat. Hit the next rat, kill the rat, Hit the next rat, kill the rat" kind of tedium. Find a way to block up that stupid rat hole!

Sort of the bush of infinite Goblins in QfG1, only this time, you can block their tunnel."

Lori and Corey Cole have scheduled an IAmA for today http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA

According to Corey, the starting time will be

"6pm EDT on Halloween, which should be 10 pm in England, 11 pm in Central Europe, 3pm here in California, noon on Thursday in Melbourne, and... well just ask Google for "Current time in New York" and they'll tell you when it is. :-)"