Burning questions for The Pope

Troels Pleimert

Hey, kids.

As you may have noticed in a previous post somewhere, the venerable Chris Pope has agreed to let me turn the tables on him and interview the man himself for his own podcast.

So, of course I've got a lot of burning questions myself, but one can only talk about the man's hair for so long ...

So I figured I'd give some of you space denizens the chance to butt in. If you have any burning questions for The Pope himself, let 'em rip in this thread. I can't promise I'll pick up all the questions, but I'll try to run with the best of 'em.

In all seriousness, the interview is primarily about who Chris Pope is, what he's doing up in our SpaceVenture, and how much of an intrusive influence he has over The Two Guys (hint: none at all). And also where he got that cool hair.

Okay, I'm kidding, it's mostly going to be about his hair. You don't need to chime in. Forget I said anything. I've got everything I need.

I want to hear more about how he got into Space Quest. He has been asking us fans why we love these games so much, had Scott and Mark share their recollections on the making of 'em. Now I want to hear why he loves this series, and adventure games in general.

Also, since this is going to be a social media guru interviewing another, I think you could get into a discussion about the KU, the Kickstarter, the roles FB, Twitter and G+ are playing in this, etc. I find it a very fascinating subject.

Ah, something sensible at last. ;) And it's coming from Fred? Holy shit! ... Nah, just kidding; you know I love you all equally.

Seriously, thanks for the input, Fred! The social media angle was definitely something I wanted to touch upon, but I didn't know if it would be interesting to other people or just come across as two nerds blowing smoke up each others' asses. Glad to know at least one more person is intrigued! :)

It would be interesting to know how Chris got on the team; we got to see the... er, touching, Two Guys reunion, but not the momentous occasion where Chris came on the scene. Was it analogous to Andrew Brawsome and the Coles, where he was a big fan who proposed teaming up and the Coles eventually took him up on it when the time seemed right?

Yeah, definitely need to hear about his motivations, why he represents these people and why it made sense to partner with the 2 Guys so he could link the two partnerships (his team of people he represents, and the Guys).

Why he would get involved with Kickstarter, and most of all, what he sees going forward with the 2 Guys now that SpaceVenture is funded and will be made.

Is it another SV game, will he be pursuing SQ IP, or will they move on? (Not a definite answer or anything, but just some ideas on what his goals with them are.)

Those are all great input; thanks, guys.

As we're probably aware, Chris is head honcho of something called Social Stars Web, which helps celebrities use this newfangled socia media technology we're all so terribly excited about. And, like most of us, he was a major Sierra fan as a kid who found a way to turn his adolescent obsession into something tangible and rewarding. These two things combined sort of explain how he came to be Space Pope and also why the SpaceVenture has such illustrious voice actors attached, although I was definitely planning to probe that field of inquiry more deeply. Heh. I said "probe."

Also, this thing rocks.

What would be interesting, too, is how his typical day looks like. I think this way, the fans can relate to a lot of things. In the past, people always shouted at Marvel editor in chief, Joe Quesada, for not finishing any artwork in time. (he still had some art for a bunch of books to do back then) Then, they made specials on the websites to show people how much he has to do, how much he has to manage. I think that would make sense here.

Yeah, and I think the what would he do different if he would do the Kcikstarter all over again subject makes sense, too.

I'm really looking forward to the podcast. Thanks for doing this!

It was indeed excellent. With these past two episodes, I hope fans like you and Jess get the opportunity to turn up on the show more often. Chris is excellent, but having a different voice every now and again helps to mix it up.

Thanks! Jess and I were actually talking on Twitter about maybe doing a podcast of our own (as you yourself replied to positively - thanks again). Because, hey, we haven't got enough spare time projects as it is. ;)

And Akril, obviously! Don't want to miss her out!

Akril is a powerhouse of entertainment. I'd seriously be out of my depth if I had to co-host anything with her. Wouldn't get a word in.

I'd say time is ripe for an audio mockumentary on the two guys and what they "really" did post-1996... :ph34r:

Hell, why not a video mockumentary? All we need is someone who can convincingly fake a posh British narration voice ... Oh, I have just the candidate in mind! ;)