Space Quest Spoof-off

Sir Procestuous

Anyone remember this contest from back in the day? I have a program that's a "walkthrough Gallery" of all the entries from the first year '02 I believe. I entered the following year but sadly the "Gallery" was never updated :(

Here's a dl link if anyone's interested: https://rapidshare.com/files/3486800795/Wilconuim%20Museum.rar

Might be fun to revive it to celebrate SpaceVenture :D

Anyone remember this contest from back in the day? I have a program that's a "walkthrough Gallery" of all the entries from the first year '02 I believe. I entered the following year but sadly the "Gallery" was never updated :(

Here's a dl link if anyone's interested: https://rapidshare.c...nuim Museum.rar

Might be fun to revive it to celebrate SpaceVenture :D

Holy crap, I had no idea that existed. What a great idea! Wish it had been updated with more stuff to fill out the second floor. Fun idea to have a 3D museum.

Hey, that third one from the end looks oddly familiar... ;)

Yeah, that one was my doing. :D Janitor Bond - Cleaning Agent 007. The idea came from something in the Popular Janitronics magazine that came with SQ6, if I remember correctly.

I should point out that, as the disclaimer on the image says, some of those sprites are *not* wholly my doing. A fellow named Nick Cross had a SQ fansite up that featured some really good CGI models of SQ ships/stations/planets, and some original sprites of SQ characters done in the cartoonish style of Space Quest 6. For the sake of making the poster, I needed all of the characters to be in the same, uniform style - something that I couldn't accomplish by myself since there was never any game where they all appeared together. Not being a good enough sprite artist to make them from scratch, I was forced to...ahem, *borrow* his SQ6-style sprites and alter them to make the gag work. IIRC, I e-mailed him for permission, but never got a reply. Better to beg for forgiveness, eh1?

I distinctly remember that, while my entry didn't win any official prizes, it *did* win the 'People's Choice' award (which I think involved a forum poll for voting). I also remember that, at that point in my life, I was rather emo and thus got pissed and acted like a royal ass when the actual winning entries (which were fully-voiced video clips) completely outstripped my meager sprite-hacking abilities. But I'm all better now, mostly. Sorry about that. :(

Speaking of videos, does anyone still have those somewhere? I distinctly remember one of them...a fake trailer for a drama film where Roger Jr. has to come to terms with Vohaul's mind being stuck inside his own (as a sort of second personality). I want to say there was at least one other video entry that year too, but I'll be damned if I can remember what it was about...

Would be nice to see what the Photoshop gifted among us could turn up now.

Heh heh. I do have one (minor) pic I'd love to share...but sadly, it's Christmas-themed, which means you guys are going to have to wait a few weeks to see it. ;)

I *do* have a SQ-related thingy to share that I recently turned up in the depths of my hard drive (see below), though it's not a picture edit. It's actually a Space Quest notepad that I made in a graphics editing/printing class/camp/thing I took back as a teenager. Drawn using a paint program, then run off by the obliging printing press folks into an actual writing pad. Sadly, the pad itself has long since been used up, although I did manage to save a page and scan it to share later. I apologize for the weird coloration; the method of printing they used didn't seem to mesh well with my scanner. It's supposed to be a uniform faded purple.

1) If you're still out there somewhere reading this, Nick...please don't sue me.

post-823-0-74845900-1352764872_thumb.jpg

Speaking of videos, does anyone still have those somewhere? I distinctly remember one of them...a fake trailer for a drama film where Roger Jr. has to come to terms with Vohaul's mind being stuck inside his own (as a sort of second personality). I want to say there was at least one other video entry that year too, but I'll be damned if I can remember what it was about...

Surely you don't mean the Dr. Vo flash made by Justas @mjomble? (Note: It's almost as long as the VSB intro)

Ah yes...fond memories of those contests, fond memories.

I should point out that, as the disclaimer on the image says, some of those sprites are *not* wholly my doing. A fellow named Nick Cross had a SQ fansite up that featured some really good CGI models of SQ ships/stations/planets, and some original sprites of SQ characters done in the cartoonish style of Space Quest 6. For the sake of making the poster, I needed all of the characters to be in the same, uniform style - something that I couldn't accomplish by myself since there was never any game where they all appeared together. Not being a good enough sprite artist to make them from scratch, I was forced to...ahem, *borrow* his SQ6-style sprites and alter them to make the gag work. IIRC, I e-mailed him for permission, but never got a reply. Better to beg for forgiveness, eh1?

I remember that page. It had some of the best Space Quest fan art I'd ever seen when I first discovered it back in the day.

I've definitely got the first video. (Yep, I actually saved it all these years.)

Surely you don't mean the Dr. Vo flash made by Justas mjomble?

Yes. No. Maybe? :unsure: I honestly can't recall either way. Argh, this is pissing me off...stupid crappy memory. I'm already painfully shy and socially dysfunctional, couldn't I at *least* have gotten photographic memory in exchange? :(

I've definitely got the first video. (Yep, I actually saved it all these years.)

YES. :lol: That's it, alright. I remember falling over laughing at the whole idea, especially when the 'Odd Couple' music kicks in.