Space Quest 7?

gumpy

Ok, this question has probaly been asked before - so don't yell at me for asking it.

Are the Two Guys doing Space Venture instead of Space Quest 7 becuase they can't get the rights for actual Space Quest name, characters, etc - or are there other reasons?

But to answer your question, no they did not make SpaceVenture because they couldn't make SQ7. They were going to make SpaceVenture from the get-go because they wanted to try something new anyway. They looked into the rights for SQ as well, but it wasn't their main goal, as I understand it.

I think the 2 Guys would love to make another SQ, unless I've misread their enthusiasm, but they are working on making a company, Guys from Andromeda LLC. So to do that, they need IP which is theirs, not simply milking SQ and paying a large portion of any profits to Activision.

I'm excited about this, I think SQ is going to be hard to continue, especially where it ended up, but I'm optimistic it will happen someday.

To me, SpaceVenture sees really, really SQ ish so I'm pretty excited, and if successful I can only assume it means better chances of that long awaited SQ7 someday.

...so don't yell at me for asking it.

Yell at you for asking it...? I wish I could observe fans all across the web bugging the heck out of everybody as to SQ7 being released, because I want to see it happen too, and the noisy wheel usually gets the grease! ;)

SpaceVenture IS going to be very cool; but, of course, SQ7 is a possibility in the future, and from the Two Guys - need I say more? :D

I hope they do get on their feet and get the legal power they need.

EDIT: I want to follow up on this to add (I always seem to forget to do so, because I've been so excited about the Two Guys's dynamic game-design duo reuniting) - I'd be overjoyed to see them get the rights even if to allow the Josh Mandel and fan team game to be released, rather than designing it themselves. Space Quest 6 was very enjoyable, and I believe Mr. Mandel is familiar enough with the territory that he too can pull it off. Why not have it released considering it's already been finished? :)

Fact is, I'd be happy to play an SQ7 designed by the brilliant TGfA duo OR the Mandel designed fan-team version, and I'd consider either one to be official.

That having been said, whichever SQ7 we DO wind up playing, there must be a Space Quest 8 and others sequels coming. When I was a young child (12), just before it was cancelled, I'd imagined Roger's adventures would span at least twice as many as have been published, and I don't desire to let up on that expectation now that the Two Guys are forming a new company! :D

Edited by Johnathon

Fact is, I'd be happy to play an SQ7 designed by the brilliant TGfA duo OR the Mandel designed fan-team version, and I'd consider either one to be official.

I think neither Colin Davis nor Josh Mandel would agree with that. ;) It would have been the closest thing to an official sequel, had SQ7.org come through on the other side. But the intention wasn't to...

Wait, why am I waxing on about SQ7.org? There really should be a video explaining all of this. (And maybe one is underway ... hint, hint, nudge, wink.)

I of course wasn't privy to all the details of the design team or how they worked together; but Mandel's designed several professional games (including SQ6), and if I recall correctly, he put in a good bit of help (not only voice-acting, but design help) in for AGDI's King's Quest games (which, in my opinion, were EVERY bit as good as the officials if not better.)

The SQ7.org project always came across to me such that it was very well managed and there was a solid hierarchy of development team organization and quality assurance. With Mandel in the loop, I have every confidence it would've been good enough to be considered official. He's an official former author, after all.

Of course, it would be unique to what the Two Guys would come up with, but quality nonetheless.

And... If the Two Guys get the rights, I suppose I just feel it would be the most romantic thing if all that well-led, well-managed effort (helmed partly by an official former author), could finally come to fruition, since I'm under the impression it's basically complete but just legally disallowed from being distributed. I think it would be the most welcome thing if Scott and Mark were to allow SQ7.org to release the game once they have the rights to it, and then, themselves (that is, the TGfA) pick up with SQ8.

...and if I recall correctly, he put in a good bit of help (not only voice-acting, but design help) in for AGDI's King's Quest games (which, in my opinion, were EVERY bit as good as the officials if not better.)

No, he didn't actually. He was helping with KQ9, however, way back before he left that project before the lead designers changed hands and the project was renamed.

Mandel's designed several professional games (including SQ6)

Josh Mandel is one of those poor, unfortunate souls who put in a great deal of creativity and elbow grease back in the Sierra glory days, yet never seems to get the same sort of credit or recognition that people like Al Lowe or the Two Guys always did. He co-created Freddy Pharkas, for example, yet it's Al's name that always gets attached to that one - and of course, he was the man behind SQ6 until Scott got forced to complete the game at gunpoint.

Oh, well. At least he'll always be the Unofficial Third Guy From Andromeda to us. :)

I wish I could observe fans all across the web bugging the heck out of everybody as to SQ7 being released

I dunno, man...after Incinerations, I'm not sure I *want* a canonical end-cap to the SQ series. ;) Incinerations pretty much fills that role in my heart now - it took everything that was great about the classic games, tweaked them for modern audiences, then cranked up the awesomeness and epic factor to create a (admittedly non-canonical) series finale that, IMHO, beats the tar out of any alternative I can think of. The main villian's true identity, in particular, is the coup-de-grace - try as hard as you want, but not even the biggest, bad-assest, most stereotypical return of Vohaul could compare to the sheer HSQ - and genuine drama - of that one.

Kudos to you, Incinerations writers, for taking such a big risk and having it pay off so amazingly. B)

Speaking of SQ7, I, like a lot of fans, had my own thoughts about what would have been a suitably epic plot for a final SQ game. Here's the plot I wrote:

My version of SQ7 involved data-Vohaul cloning Roger's body, inhabiting it, and using it to frame Roger for the theft of a doomsday device. Roger is forced to flee from Starcon authorities while simultaniously getting entagled with Vohaul's minions and infiltrating their secret base.

The game's finale reveals that the Vohaul Roger's been fighting isn't actually the one he knows from the future - it's the Vohaul of the present, the one who's *supposed* to end up infecting the Super Computer in the future. Roger realizes he has the chance to destroy Vohaul now and prevent the Xenonian apocalypse he witnessed in SQ12 - but in doing so, he runs the risk of creating a time paradox that could destroy the entire universe. Roger Jr. appears via time rip and tries desperately to convince his father to eject Vohaul's disc back into space (preserving the timeline), while Beatrice (who doesn't understand time-travel as well as Junior does) argues that *not* using his knowledge of the future to save billions of innocent lives is unconscionable regardless of the risk. The ultimate choice (and subsequent ending) is left to the player...

On a side note, I had an idea inspired by Paper Mario, of all things. The game would have been divived up into chapters, and as a neat addition, there would be short scenes between chapters where the player controls Beatrice - using her ambassadorial access to Starcon's computer network and chain of command, she runs research on Vohaul and his plans while covertly trying to derail the hard-charging Starcon commander who's searching for Roger.

Of course, this are all just my own ideas - stuff I wrote up in my spare time. It has no connection whatsoever to the actual SQ7(s) in any way, shape, or form (aside from the clone element, which is a coincidence since I didn't know any plot details of the failed original Sierra SQ7 until fairly recently). It was also written up long before VSB or Incinerations, so it obviously doesn't reflect the plots of those games.

So, other SQ fans - what were *your* ideas for what you wanted SQ7 to be? ;)

I dunno, man...after Incinerations, I'm not sure I *want* a canonical end-cap to the SQ series. ;) Incinerations pretty much fills that role in my heart now - it took everything that was great about the classic games, tweaked them for modern audiences, then cranked up the awesomeness and epic factor to create a (admittedly non-canonical) series finale that, IMHO, beats the tar out of any alternative I can think of. [...]

Kudos to you, Incinerations writers, for taking such a big risk and having it pay off so amazingly. B)

If I know Datadog, he's off somewhere, weeping contentedly that someone out there likes his game as much as Vohaul Strikes Back. ;)

I'm just kidding. Chris did an amazing job (and he was the sole writer, too! Well, I contributed a single line in that game, and others probably did so, too, but the major bulk of writing - and all of the plot - was all Chris).

Incinerations probably belongs somewhere at the end of the series, though, in this "alternate StarCon timeline" I've been banging on about. It definitely feels like there's some gaps in between that need filling out. It's like all of the SQ community is still waiting for SQ7 to finally happen so all the other ideas we've had can finally be tied together.

Also, hear hear for Mr. Mandel.

...but the major bulk of writing - and all of the plot - was all Chris...

Ah. Just one guy, eh? I can relate to that. ;) Incidentally, when I say "writer" I'm mostly speaking in the 'plot and design' sense. Writing for the various message boxes/responses I usually refer to as "descing" instead.

Incinerations probably belongs somewhere at the end of the series, though, in this "alternate StarCon timeline" I've been banging on about.

Oh, absolutely. It's obviously meant to be a Distant Finale - IIRC, the game explicitly mentions that it takes place at least several years after VSB, which itself takes place an indeterminate amount of time after SQ6. The writing clearly references the large amount of time that's passed since Roger's adventuring heyday - presumably as a nod to the amount of real-life time that's passed since the last official SQ game :D - and the game's overall tone and themes strongly suggest that it's meant to be *the* final SQ adventure, at least in the non-canon timeline it takes place in. There's plenty of timeline gaps left open for other Space Quest fangames to be slotted in without contradicting it, which would be awesome. I'm just saying that it's going to be awfully hard to top Incinerations in terms of "epic finale-ness". ;)

And of course, the 'good' ending of VSB makes it clear that there's at least one alternate version of the VSB/Incinerations timeline. Although to be honest, I have a great deal of trouble taking that particular ending seriously to *any* degree. ;)

To me, if SpaceVenture is successful or not, I'm not sure if that would lead to more SQ, and I'm feeling kinda happy about that in a way...

If SpaceVenture isn't successful, then I think it would be very hard to convince Activision to put out another SQ game...

But if SpaceVenture IS successful, and I truly hope it is amazingly successful, then it means the Two Guys own outright something

that is more valuable to them than SQ... they own SpaceVenture and can do what they like with it, it would have fans and

paying customers, so no money needs to be put into "relaunching" SQ, and they can get on with making sequels for SpaceVenture

making healthy profits on each one due to owning the company and idea... which can be reinvested in making even more SpaceVentures!

To me, this would be excellent... as much as I love SQ, I think we've had 6 great entries now, and the Two Guys may not even get

FULL control of it even if they came to some agreement... to me it seems better to put the series to bed and properly do the NEW

series, SpaceVenture and make it a 6-7 episode series, all done amazingly with voice acting, etc.

The only reason I can think of them wanting to do another SQ even when SpaceVenture if successful, is if Activision can really

push a new SQ game hard and put a big budget, particularly marketing budget, behind it. That would make some sense --

they may not have full control, and they may not get paid as well per copy as SpaceVenture, but if Activision can reach a much bigger

market, then it may be worth doing... plus maybe getting some of that shine onto SpaceVenture in the process...

But if I were them, I'd just make sure the new game is amazing, get some sales, then do another kickstarter for episode 2,

plus maybe use some of the money made from SpaceVenture 1 to make the sequel even bigger and get better marketing/publicity,

and grow it into a really popular series of their own, with no need to deal with other companies...

The cool thing is, SQ was amazing from the beginning, but I think it really hit its stride a few episodes in - III and IV,

so we may get really, really mindblowing SpaceVenture III and IV if it follows the same pattern...

I'm with Blackthorne. We've been waiting for SQ7 for two decades now. And it's not like Roger's been lying dormant; not with the great fan games that have been coming out. SpaceVenture is going to be a welcome breath of fresh air -- even if it's tinged with that delightful sewer-y funk.

To me, this would be excellent... as much as I love SQ, I think we've had 6 great entries now, and the Two Guys may not even get

FULL control of it even if they came to some agreement... to me it seems better to put the series to bed and properly do the NEW

series, SpaceVenture and make it a 6-7 episode series, all done amazingly with voice acting, etc.

I have to admit, I feel something similar on the subject. A part of me doesn't really *want* a new official SQ game. Aside from all the license and legal issues, the fact of the matter is that Space Quest has been undead-and-gone for 16-ish years now. Do we really *want* it to be revived by a corporate team or otherwise done by someone treating it more as a commercial product than a labor of love? We all know how bad the original Sierra/made SQ7 would have been...do we really have any reason to think it would turn out any better now?

Another question: do the Two Guys even really *want* to make another SQ game? Sure, they'd know what they're doing (obviously), and they'd have an established fanbase to pander to - but isn't that what Spaceventure is doing already? Spaceventure is, for all intents and purposes, a spiritual sequel to Space Quest - the same style and themes, the same sense of humor. It's everything that a good Space Quest sequel would be, except with the added benefit of being an original universe in and of itself. This gives the Guys the freedom to do whatever they want to with it, without being constrained (and possibly becoming burnt-out on) their older series - which IMHO means a better chance for fresher, higher-quality creations.

Personally, I'm inclined to treat Spaceventure (and potential sequels) as 'the new Space Quest'. Think of it as Space Quest: The Next Generation - same creators, same theme (sarcastic sci-fi comedy), same style, but with new characters, places, and concepts to explore. With fangames to take up the torch of the original SQ series, I'd be perfectly happy letting the Guys focus on their new baby - and letting the fans take Spaceventure into the fold *alongside* SQ and treating them as two extensions of the same awesome family1. The more, the merrier. :D

1) Commence the endless Kirk-vs-Picard-style "Roger vs. Ace" debates.

Well... absolutely, it MUST be a labor of love, and if the Two Guys were up to doing it, it would be. It's also because the series itself doesn't take itself to seriously (the plot of the 3rd one had Roger rescuing its creators from software pirates, for crying out loud! :D ), I don't see where/how reviving it after all these years would present the typical issues that generally come along with trying to slip new chapters into a resurrected series (despite whatever plot inconsistencies or multiple authors/teams-of-authors there have been. I honestly feel that if it were revived, it could be great.

Nonetheless, SpaceVenture is very exciting news, and so long as the TGfA continue to produce something, whether SV, SQ, or both, I will continue to follow with great enthusiasm and purchase up every chapter/sequel that comes along. It goes without saying that it would not be good for them to feel obligated to revive a series they don't currently have the motivation to work on. SpaceVenture can, as you say, serve as a good familiar turn in direction.

I just think it wouldn't be nearly as problematic or unwelcome as it may seem, provided we have our dependable authors and they feel like doing it.

If I know Datadog, he's off somewhere, weeping contentedly that someone out there likes his game as much as Vohaul Strikes Back.

:`D

Personally, I'm inclined to treat Spaceventure (and potential sequels) as 'the new Space Quest'. Think of it as Space Quest: The Next Generation - same creators, same theme (sarcastic sci-fi comedy), same style, but with new characters, places, and concepts to explore.

I've been finally watching TNG these last several months and I agree. There's so much potential for re-invention while keeping the style at the same time. While it's nice to hold onto an old franchise and put our heroes through so many new adventures, it's even nicer if someone like Jean-Luc Picard or, say, Ace Hardway gets a chance to give it a go.

• 2 weeks later...

We all know how bad the original Sierra/made SQ7 would have been...do we really have any reason to think it would turn out any better now?

Well, yes ... it would, because this time, Scott and Mark would be a) together, and B) not bound by corporate pressure to include multiplayer, 3D acceleration or any of the other nonsense that was getting shoved onto Scott and Leslie's desks back in 1997.

Another question: do the Two Guys even really *want* to make another SQ game?

If they really, deep in their hearts, don't want to make another Space Quest game, then they hide it pretty well. Scott in particular seems keen to straighten out a few loose ends and (assuming they only get one shot at the license) at least end the series with a glorious bang, instead of the somewhat flaccid pffft SQ6 left us with.

(I'm talking about the one-screen talky ending of SQ6 here; not the game itself.)

Personally, I'm inclined to treat Spaceventure (and potential sequels) as 'the new Space Quest'. Think of it as Space Quest: The Next Generation - same creators, same theme (sarcastic sci-fi comedy), same style, but with new characters, places, and concepts to explore.

I love this style of thinking! :)

And yes, that's basically what it is. Even if you somehow end up not liking the characters of SpaceVenture, what I've heard of the plot (shhh!) will be pleasing to any Space Quest fan.

From what I understood, the original plan was to make a Space Quest game, and The Two Guys approached Activision with a proposal to do so. They were given permission to use the moniker Two Guys From Andromeda, but Activision wanted to hold on to the Space Quest license for a bit (for undisclosed reasons) until The Two Guys had proven they hadn't gone senile or delinquent in the interim between Sierra's demise and Double Fine's success.

With fangames to take up the torch of the original SQ series, I'd be perfectly happy letting the Guys focus on their new baby - and letting the fans take Spaceventure into the fold *alongside* SQ and treating them as two extensions of the same awesome family1. The more, the merrier. :D

I think I might be allergic to that final remark.

• 1 month later...

If they really, deep in their hearts, don't want to make another Space Quest game, then they hide it pretty well. Scott in particular seems keen to straighten out a few loose ends

Really? Well, that's why I was asking. I seem to recall a time years ago, when Scott was rather...disillusioned. <_< Harboring a certain emnity towards Sierra-related stuff in general, and treating SQ as something of an old shame he wanted to move past. I guess he must have gotten over it at some point... ;)

Really? Well, that's why I was asking. I seem to recall a time years ago, when Scott was rather...disillusioned. <_< Harboring a certain emnity towards Sierra-related stuff in general, and treating SQ as something of an old shame he wanted to move past. I guess he must have gotten over it at some point... ;)

I think that may have had more to do with his bitterness at how Sierra folded rather than anything to do with Space Quest. If you talk to him about just Roger Wilco and the plots of the Space Quest games, he gets very excited and starts talking at length about what he had planned that never came out. But if you talk Sierra and its politics, particularly towards the mid-to-late 90's, the stories turn less rosy. ;)

That said, Scott seems genuinely at peace with it now - despite a few outbursts to the contrary in Hangouts, but that's just him having a laugh - and a lot of sour blood from the past has been sweetened. Ken and Roberta coming out to support them was, he said, particularly heartwarming.

• 2 weeks later...

...But if you talk Sierra and its politics, particularly towards the mid-to-late 90's, the stories turn less rosy. ;)

And now that you bring this up, I just thought I'd add: I think I recall Scott and Mark mentioning (or someone else saying they mentioned, during an interview, not necessarily recently, but years ago), that it was because of the "current" (of that time) goings on that Space Quest 4 resulted as such a dark game.

However, Space Quest 4 is a jewel of its own species (still worthy of being part of the series, in every respect, I think; yet so unique in its apocalyptic undertone), and I do believe such is one of the most invaluable qualities of a great author and storyteller; that is, to be able to utilize his/her current state of mind, whether on the up or down, to inspire his/her work in a way which brings it to life in an honest and convincing way.

I realize we're discussing a comedic series here, but I think the concept still applies. In any form of creative expression, an author's desire must be into it if it's going to be worth expressing to others - and that means if the work needs to ring a little close to home for the author, or to a degree serve as a means of therapeutic outlet, then, all the better - so long as it is balanced and doesn't completely overtake the work.

Perhaps I'm projecting too much my own strategy and values here. I'm not certain exactly how Scott and Mark have felt throughout the years; but every work is an expression and revelation of its creator(s), that is unavoidable.

Just try and tell me for a moment, even looking at Space Quest 3, that the whole bit about the Software Pirates ruining the series, and the cubicles with the overworked programmers being whipped wasn't a form of comedic outlet, or displacement therapy. And, if you ask anyone, they'll probably tell you they found it funny as hell when they played it.

From what I've read here, I have no doubts that Scott and Mark have every ability they need to make SQ7, and if they decided to (even and despite whatever feelings from the present or past that reside) it would still be awesome.

It's simply a matter of whether or not they desire enough to do it.

• 1 month later...

I will be happy if SQ7 ever get's made, I shipped out for the Army 1 year before the original release date and when I got done with Boot and AIT I went online looking for it and was very upset, hell when I called Sierra On Line they thought I was clueless, I told them I had the SQ Collection and it was showing Summer of 98, she still thought I was full of it but oh well