The 2012 AGS Awards

Datadog

It's that time again!

This year, both "Space Quest: Incinerations" and the "Space Quest 2" remake are eligible for nominations (SQ2+ was a 2011 release, but was entered into their database in 2012 if you're wondering). So you should head on over to the AGS website, log into their forums (necessary step), and fill out this year's nominations to help your favorite space janitor come out on top again! You can fill out more than one nomination per category, so you don't have to play favorites between games (but I will promote nominating Doomtron in the character categories). ;)

For more Space Quest nomination goodness, you can also nominate Akril's "Pledge Quest" games which were developed by members of the SQ community. Both games center around saving Space Quest and even feature an evil cat named Vohaul so go give those games some love too!

Thanks for plugging Pledge Quest, Chris! If anyone feels inclined to nominate, Pledge Quest II seems like a good fit for the "Short Game" category.

I'd like to see Vohaul the Cat make an appearance in the Best Non-Player Character category, but as an evil time-traveling cat aficionado, I'm unfairly biased in his favor.

Jess

And I forgot to plug "Space Quest -1: Decision of the Elders" as well. That would make FIVE Space Quest-themed games in the running. Six if you count Cosmos Quest. Seven if "The Outer Edge of Earnon" travels back in time to 2012 and registers itself in the AGS database. Eight if "SpaceVenture" ends up in AGS somehow and does the same thing.

I approve of Vohaul Cat as a nominee.

In the spirit of shameless self-promotion, I made a case for Pledge Quest II in the "For Your Consideration..." thread at the AGS forums. I suggested three possible categories: Best Short Game, Best Animation, and Best Non-Player Character (Vohaul the Cat).

Any votes to help get the game nominated are greatly appreciated. :) I hope to see lots of Space Quest games in the final running.

Jess

• 3 weeks later...

Well, alright then. Now that that's settled...

...I expect to see every last person on these boards voting for SQ in every single category. *Especially* for Incinerations. Nothing against SQ2 VGA, but epic new Space Quest game beats out classic game remake every time. :D

Oh, and the two Pledge Quests, of course. ;) </kissing up to Jess>

On a side note, I notice that Vohaul Strikes Back isn't in here anywhere - I'm assuming it wasn't eligible, for some reason. Was it not made with AGS, or something? I confess to being ignorant of the criteria for getting on the nominee list...

Voting is now open! Go and show your support for all your Space Quest/AGS favorites (Incinerations, SQ2VGA, Pledge Quest II) here:

2012 AGS Awards Voting!

Jess

P.S. In Vohaul the Cat's alternate timeline, a game titled "Cat Quest: Purrforations" (designed by a fan named Datacat) is up for 13 AGS Awards.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nah, it lost "Best Player Character" to Ben Jordan.

I can't help but feel that commercial games should not be allowed to sweep the awards like that. It's becoming a trend.

Shouldn't amateur and commercial games have different award events or at least be two completely different categories?

I agree with pcj and Collector. I find it counterproductive to the indie-spirit that the AGS community seems to be supporting commercial games merely because they are commercial. That may not be the intent, but in my view, that's how it's come to appear.

Something else about this troubles me. I'm generally not a huge fan of games that aspire to overly retro, but I can understand why people find them appealing, and I can deal with the competition on a non-commercial basis. However, I think it's becoming hugely problematic that Chris' monstrously impressive 2012 CG animation is squashed completely by a game that - I assume - screams "1993" on nearly all counts. When looking over the results of an award ceremony such as this, indie adventure game developers may go elsewhere with their designs, or choose to downgrade them to something that Sierra and LucasArts could have released in the 1990's.

I may be reading too much into this. But, to me, it seems that while the adventure genre isn't "dead" anymore, it is in danger of becoming terribly stale. Again. No longer because of the huge game companies, but because of a large number of the creative amateurs.

Shouldn't amateur and commercial games have different award events or at least be two completely different categories?

Yeah. Or something.

Something else about this troubles me. I'm generally not a huge fan of games that aspire to overly retro, but I can understand why people find them appealing, and I can deal with the competition on a non-commercial basis. However, I think it's becoming hugely problematic that Chris' monstrously impressive 2012 CG animation is squashed completely by a game that - I assume - screams "1993" on nearly all counts. When looking over the results of an award ceremony such as this, indie adventure game developers may go elsewhere with their designs, or choose to downgrade them to something that Sierra and LucasArts could have released in the 1990's.

I also find it interesting that the AGS Panel only reviewed "Resonance" and "Ben Jordan" of the major games up there. Seems rather exclusive - none of the SQ fan games has been rated by them yet. So I don't know if they just don't like SQ or what...

However, I think it's becoming hugely problematic that Chris' monstrously impressive 2012 CG animation is squashed completely by a game that - I assume - screams "1993" on nearly all counts.

Good point. The fact that Incinerations didn't at least win Best Animation is a perfect example of the drawbacks of using a popular vote for this kind of award. It's simply too difficult for a "smaller" game -- even one that may be creatively, artistically, or technically superior -- to compete with a massively successful commercial title. Yes, Space Quest fan games are a relatively small niche in the overall AGS community (one that may never appeal to many players), but it's a shame to see outstanding work overlooked.

There's a reason why we tend to place more stock in the Oscars (decided by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences) than the People's Choice Awards (decided by...<shudder>...the general public). Oh, well. I guess we'll just have to produce a whole new crop of SQ fan games for the 2013 Awards, right? ;)

Jess