How to get the SpaceVenture demo

pcj

Any one able to get past the airlock door??? i apparently need to get some guys attention, but once im zoomed in on the door there is no guy, and no action seems do do anything.... :wacko:

Found it just read the pdf. Directional Swipes is what you need ;)

Btw just got that point and the background behind the door doesn't look right at all. Looks much to flat and not very nice. Even a little "dent" in the middle of the line, right in the middle of the screen.

And once behind the door there is no man, so I don't know why there is this man when we are behind the door and no man after opening.

Be handy if the directional cursor be a different cursor, or at least show where hotspots are. Trying to click and drag everything is kind of time consuming. I like the speed of the rendered graphics though. There are many bugs that I've spotted already but as this is an alpha, how much do I mention? Rooter defibrillating Ace is a nice touch to not dying :D

I am a 15 dollar backer, how do I get an account for the rewards website to download the demo???

Please e-mail me at pcj@andromedanpost.com with your kickstarter e-mail address.

Found it just read the pdf. Directional Swipes is what you need ;)

Btw just got that point and the background behind the door doesn't look right at all. Looks much to flat and not very nice. Even a little "dent" in the middle of the line, right in the middle of the screen.

And once behind the door there is no man, so I don't know why there is this man when we are behind the door and no man after opening.

That man is something we unfortunately had to cut for time for the demo. You're supposed to encounter him on that background, which is why it looks a bit flat.

Dang, I was late to the party and so can't get the demo... I will just have to imagine it all based

on the snippets of discussion in this thread!

Any first impressions from people? Is it what you were expecting, etc?

You should still be able to access the demo download. It's not going away.

Be handy if the directional cursor be a different cursor, or at least show where hotspots are. Trying to click and drag everything is kind of time consuming. I like the speed of the rendered graphics though. There are many bugs that I've spotted already but as this is an alpha, how much do I mention? Rooter defibrillating Ace is a nice touch to not dying :D

A drag cursor is something that is intended for the final game. If you are finding bugs other people haven't been mentioning, please let us know. Thanks!

okay well I'm quite troubled, I've only played like 10 minutes not done a lot but that's already not too good for me. I know it's still in beta, but there are also just simple usage that seems wrong.

First thing, the text location sometime I got multiple text at the same time, overlapping each over, guess it should be only one at a time and a new one repalce the previous or wait to be displayed.

Next is information on the mouse location, that appears only on the top left of the screen, seriously this is not very big, and not very nice, it's much easier and intuitive to have information written around the mouse cursor. And by the way why doesn't it appear on walking, it's quite difficult to know when you click if you're over an exit or not. Usually you look for anything that can be looked or itneracted with, and so you look the cursor, so while there is no text and no change in the cursor, it's not very nice to use that way.

As for bugs I've had in just this little time and the first three rooms:

Airlocks rotate clockwise while we have to swype toward the left, which should make the turn counter clockwise.

when far from the toolbox when clicking to pick it it starts to move on it's own (maybe in the final it should change to the dog form and then would be normal)

picking up the toolbox several times got me many rooter's head in my inventory up to 8 (maybe more is possible).

one of the time taking the toolbox made the character to start tuging on himself non stop each time it stopped walking (keeping like this until changing area).

when I died voluntarily on the vapor stream, could not do anything, no message, no game over, and after a while appearance of the loadign mouse cursor, but nothing until exiting the game.

I sadly found out about this project and the kickstarter long after it had closed...

Is there a way for folks like me to get our hands on the demo?

I'll talk to Chris about it. If you're able to attend SDCC they will be showing it off there.

Any first impressions from people? Is it what you were expecting, etc?

I don't know if there is enough to really gives first impressions. I've yet to find progression, could get a keycard and then I don't know there is some crate I should move but have no idea how to do it as there is a very little things I have, which are the tool box (did not find any way to open or do anything with it yet) and the keycard.

So far not too impressed Seeing another project which I backed having playable beta that has been released in march, and was in my opinion much more advanced than this one in terms of the gameplay and the content with just a month later for the end of this KS campaign. So kinda fall quite behind in terms of what I see here compared to that other project. Of course it's still in development, so anything can happen. But to me it's much more Alpha version as indicated in the demo itself) than Beta (as indicated on the KS message).

So well I'm quite anxious to see more, but the interface is really not top notch, just discovered things pretty "simple" first thing I'd test when debugging something, I can drag and drop in the inventory to see though items when more than can be displayed directly on screen, which I can get because of the pickup bug (manage to get more than twenty copies of it). but when using the arrows instead of drag dropping you can go after the last item and before the first, while in drag and drop it's not possible. Kinda weird. Got some walking issue too as once I got closer to the steam very carefully and then wanted to go back but it started to go left and then died, guess the pathfinding is not completely tune either.

And as for the cursors well the one very hard thing is that basically I've no idea where the action point is (middle of the icon or not) so sometime when you have no text on the action, you just don't know if you're clicking where you want to.

So all in all, it's looking nice but it just in this beta looks at least for me so far from completion (once again compared to the other project which the second beta released about a month ago have two complete chapters with voice over and all elements). I'll be trying to figure out what to do.

That man is something we unfortunately had to cut for time for the demo. You're supposed to encounter him on that background, which is why it looks a bit flat.

Honestly even if the guy is that big I believe the backgound should be a little more polished even just to give the impression of depth as the character probably won't fill the all door, at least I don't think so.

So far not too impressed Seeing another project which I backed having playable beta that has been released in march, and was in my opinion much more advanced than this one in terms of the gameplay and the content with just a month later for the end of this KS campaign. So kinda fall quite behind in terms of what I see here compared to that other project.

Even though I agree that this demo is a little rough around the edges (and yes, maybe too rough at times), you have to remember that this is going to be a completely original and, presumably, huge space-exploration adventure. Not "just" an enhanced remake, assuming you're referring to "Leisure Suit Larry: Reloaded". Which is, I've heard, also comparatively short, like the original game. The Two Guys and their team always had a way bigger design task ahead of them than Replay Games did, so I think this comparison - while relevant to draw - is more than a little skewed.

Even though I agree that this demo is a little rough around the edges (and yes, maybe too rough at times), you have to remember that this is going to be a completely original and, presumably, huge space-exploration adventure. Not "just" an enhanced remake, assuming you're referring to "Leisure Suit Larry: Reloaded". Which is, I've heard, also comparatively short, like the original game. The Two Guys and their team always had a way bigger design task ahead of them than Replay Games did, so I think this comparison - while relevant to draw - is more than a little skewed.

My comparison is based on Moebius from Jane Jensen Pinkerton Road CSG. Ican't say about the scope and compare it, no idea on both side of the complete gamedesign of course, and don't want to know and be spoiled. So I think it's fair to compare both of them, seeing there is just one month difference between both projects. So sure I'm much more pleased by what I saw on the other side, though not perfect either, but that's what betas are for.

Somehow it's also much less "living" on the updates from the team here, not so much had been said and shown intro the blog so far.

So yeah of course I'm hoping for the best and know they are working, I don't have the scope of the game, but well somehow, I feel like it's not convincing for the first thing that is really shown to the backers. That's all. Of course I wish for the best, that's why I give my arguments, so that they can know what people think and I hope others will do, and then they can take things and improve.

I appreciate everyone's honesty in the feedback and (especially) the bug reporting and discussions there as well. After having developed a robust system for handling the game requirements, there are still a lot of things that need tweaking and we are all looking at the feedback to help figure priorities. Thanks, guys!

My comparison is based on Moebius from Jane Jensen Pinkerton Road CSG. Ican't say about the scope and compare it, no idea on both side of the complete gamedesign of course, and don't want to know and be spoiled. So I think it's fair to compare both of them, seeing there is just one month difference between both projects. So sure I'm much more pleased by what I saw on the other side, though not perfect either, but that's what betas are for.

Somehow it's also much less "living" on the updates from the team here, not so much had been said and shown intro the blog so far.

So yeah of course I'm hoping for the best and know they are working, I don't have the scope of the game, but well somehow, I feel like it's not convincing for the first thing that is really shown to the backers. That's all. Of course I wish for the best, that's why I give my arguments, so that they can know what people think and I hope others will do, and then they can take things and improve.

Ah, my apologies, then. I haven't followed "Moebius", so I didn't know there was a beta around that time for that game too.

It's true that there hasn't been that many updates. I take that as a sign that they're working on the game, though. I've asked Scott many times on Twitter, and he's confirmed again and again that they are indeed hard at work. I've even been nagging the poor man more than a few times ;) It has been delayed and will probably not see release until winter, but they're doing their best at making sure it won't get pushed further than that. If that means less blog posts, then I say so be it, even if it seems disappointing at first to not be that much in the know about what's going on.

On a side note, I do think that a lot of time was taken up because of the fact that the Guys actually had to get a development team together. It's quite well known that Ken only joined a few months ago, and I remember that they were still searching for a lead programmer, a sound designer, etc. when the Kickstarter happened. Troels came aboard fairly late as an intern. On the other hand, Double Fine has existed in years before their Kickstarter(s), Replay Games outsourced the bulk of the development and Pinkerton Road Studios appears to have been established shortly before they officially launched on Kickstarter. Was assembling the team as part of the development process the best way to go? Maybe not, cause it seems to have slowed them down just a little bit, but at least we know that we'll eventually be getting the game that the Two Guys want. They have their own company now. It's not going to be a "The Two Guys from Andromeda Present a Space-Pope Studios Production"-thing. I can spare a little patience because of that. I've waited for a new "Space Quest" since 2002; unintuitive swiping be damned, I'll get my money's worth eventually! :)

Not that you should abstain from criticism; just wanted to offer my two cents since I got the "Moebius" thing wrong.

Take it from me; the scope of the game is huge and not a lot of it involves crate shoving. ;)

LOL, am I the only one who didn't mind crate shoving? LOL. I'm excited about the game for sure! Even though it's merely a 'glimpse' (though I totally understand a lot of work would have gotten into it. After all, 90% of the work is shown 10% of the time!), I'm sure our input will play an uber-huge chunk as to how the rest of the game will be set. Good things come to those who wait :)

If the Andromeda Guys want to release screenshots they can. Kind of defeats the purpose of the backer rewards I think. It would be unfair to the other backers. Besides, I don't think they want anything from an alpha build circulating the net and possibly garnering bad reviews and impressions on unfinished content. Gives the wrong idea.

LOL, am I the only one who didn't mind crate shoving?

Just to be clear, so I don't attract the ire of a certain Space Pope, I'm not against the crate pushing puzzles themselves. I just realized that the player needs more instructions/feedback than there is in the demo for them to be fun instead of exercises in trial-and-error.

I keep being reminded of what everyone hated about Broken Sword III ("omg, ANOTHER crate shoving puzzle? are there any ACTUAL adventure game puzzles in this game?!") and I am determined NOT to let that legacy carry over to SpaceVenture.

Anyone willing to post up a few screenshots for a poor, humble, non-backer such as myself

to get a fleeting glimpse of the immortal beauty that is the Spaceventure demo?

I'm sure non-backers will get access to the final version of the demo. The reason being that there's a message at the endgame saying that now would be good time to preorder SpaceVenture. But those of us who pledged more than $15 have technically already done that, so that message is definitely not meant for us :)