Digital painting timelapse

Tom King

I had an idea for promoting the art of the game in its current state. I apologize if this or something similar has been pitched before, but it would be cool to see a timelapse of Mark painting a scene from start to finish. Some commentary where he walks us through the process, describing brushes, tools and techniques would be a plus.

What do you guys think?

I use Wacom Bamboo myself. It's not the biggest one in the market, but suit me fine. Though I do have A3 sized Aiptek tablet as well, but it stopped working próperly after WinXP service pack 3 came out. Aiptek never bothered to fix the drivers. And it has batteries on the pen, so that's always a hassle.

Timelapses are a bit of a hassle, says Mark, because he's using so many gizmos and gadgets to get where he goes, it'd take forever to setup. We are mulling over perhaps a "gizmo of the week" type thing, if possible.

And I'm also trying to get the Guys into using Instagram and Vine. I think they could have tons of fun with a thing like Vine. Seems to work for Tim Schafer, anyway. ;)

My hope is to next year buy my artists Cintiqs for use on projects. I actually got turned on to a very reasonably priced similar product - a friend of mine runs an animation studio, and he pointed these out to me.

http://frenden.com/p...7/yiynovamsp19u

So, if we can afford it next year, I wanna pick some up.

Bt

Damn, that is affordable. Makes me think of all kind of nasty things I'd do with that 19 inch.

• 3 weeks later...

Timelapses are a bit of a hassle, says Mark, because he's using so many gizmos and gadgets to get where he goes, it'd take forever to setup. We are mulling over perhaps a "gizmo of the week" type thing, if possible.

I got a Radian timelapse device from Alpine Labs back when they had their Kickstarter. It's the easiest thing to use ever; you control it from a smartphone. The only thing is it requires you have a proper camera with a remote trigger or IR port. But seriously, it's like nothing to set up. I would attach a couple of videos which were just done quickly while I was in China and then equally quickly put together in Picasa (Lightroom is otherwise the standard for doing this kind of thing), but apparently I'm not allowed to upload mp4 files :(. I should really upload them to youtube at some point, then I'll link them to here.