Best Space Quest (in your opinion)

SteveHNo96

Definitely Space Quest IV. Time travel gets me every time. The idea of traveling back and forth between adventures you've already had and some you hadn't already had was fantastic to me. The humour was great, the narrator was great, the locations (time periods) were great, loved traveling back to Space Quest I and III, loved Ken Allen's masterful score. My favourite Sierra soundtrack and, in my opinion, Ken Allen's best as well. I also loved that the EGA version of the game altered the title logo to look like the old Space Quest I box cover (black with the red outlined 'Space Quest' with the nova burst starfield inside it). The EGA version is all we had on our Tandy 1000 back then. My friends had the VGA version and I remember being in awe of the cycling rainbow colours of the time rip. I didn't get the VGA version for myself until the late 90s when my parents bought me the Space Quest Collection Series deluxe set for my birthday.

I also love that the game doesn't actually ever take place in SQ4 besides the opening unplayable sequence. :)

I think my favorite is Space Quest V. The graphics and the soundtrack are amazing. I like the use of a "new" bad guy that is not Vohaul, and the sneak peek into Roger's life (his training at StarCon academy, his new job, being captain of his own crew, his relation with Beatrice...) The puzzles are quite hard, they twisted my brain a bunch of times. The ways to die are very funny. I like everything about that one.

I'll put in another vote for Space Quest 5. Great-looking, well-designed game. I like that Roger finally got to be a real space hero, even if it's a bit out of character. And I like the Star Trek riffing. The game's got a great retro sci-fi vibe, without being as obvious in that style as SQ1VGA.

Space Quest 3 lands on a really close second. Between the beautiful EGA graphics, the atmospheric locations, the satiric plot and Bob Siebenberg's mighty score, I think that one was the best game that both Guys from Andromeda worked on.

If I had to pick from favorite to least favorite (what I've played or what I've seen) it would go as follows:

IV, I, III, VI, II, V (I still have not played VI but I did find III on Steam since posting this, I'll probably actually sit down and play 6 after my class is over)

I guess I got spoiled since 4 and 6 had both gotten completely awesome makeovers and Gary Owens but 5 almost looked like a step backwards. I understand there was a Sierra and Dynamix problem at the time, so it kinda makes sense.

And what's really strange is: I freakin' love Star Trek, but SQ5 felt almost disjointed from the series for me.

Tired reiteration being my specialty, I'd like to swing for SQ2, if I may. Sure, it's not the most gripping or thrilling of the series, but I've warmed on it quite a bit recently. If I may just, in the spirit of aforementioned tired reiteration, highlight the almost poetic ending: Roger, having saved the universe once again, is finally allowed to go full circle from when he woke up in SQ1 and go back to sleep (just in the cryo-chamber, rather than a broomcloset).