Phantasmagoria movie

tomimt

I've yet to play Phantasmagoria, but it's on the list. Especially since I've been quite pleased with GK2, which I'm currently playing. Is Phantasmagoria actually that shitty, or is it just "typical FMV game"-shitty?

I do think a Gabriel Knight film would be a lot more interesting than this either way. Either a retelling of the first game or a whole new story from Jane.

But still... interesting. Though arguably, Mortal Kombat remains the only film based on a game that actually works well for what it is. Too bad it *cough* never had a sequel. So Justin is probably right about the likelihood of this being pretty bad.

Is Phantasmagoria actually that shitty, or is it just "typical FMV game"-shitty?

I guess it depends largely on what you expect out of it. Personally, I liked it a great deal. If you're looking for a challenge, forget about it. One of the chapters in this game can be literally be beaten in four steps: go into town, give something to someone, go back home, watch closing cinematic. It's adventure gaming for simpletons (people like me). The puzzles themselves might dissatisfy hardcore adventure gamers, but personally, I prefer simple, somwhat realistic puzzles over a puzzle to which the solution is so obscure that they have to tell you the correct solution in the manual (the GK2 tape splicing comes to mind).

What DOES work is the huge amount of exploration that can be done outside of the main plot. There's tons of little things that keep happening around the mansion. You don't need to trigger any of this to advance the plot, but it adds to the atmosphere and made playing this game hugely rewarding.

Then of course, the game carried an adults only rating where I'm from, so that automatically makes it cool.

"Phantasmagoria" already has the feel of a cheesy, low budget, bargain bin, straight-to-video, late night, B-movie horror flick, and I'm glad someone with a camera and some money realized it. While it's not one of Sierra's finest, it would translate into a movie fairly well. If it's at least slightly above Asylum quality, and nowhere near Uwe Boll quality, I will totally watch this movie.

In regards to other Sierra mystery games, I personally feel that Gabriel Knight and Laura Bow would make great TV series. One's "Supernatural" with Schattenjagers, and the other's "Murder She Wrote" in the 20's.

Roberta Williams must have a cameo.

So should the original Adrienne actress.

Anyway, don't Ken and Roberta live in Mexico during part of the year? That's not far from Lousiana, where they're shooting this movie.

I think this movie sounds awesome. This could be the first Sierra game made into a movie, right? Very exciting!

I wonder if they'll show much nudity.

Am I the only one here besides tomimt who is pumped up about this Phantasmagoria movie? I am buying copies of this thing the second it comes out. It's not every day you get a full, live-action movie based on a Sierra adventure game. It makes me really happy that this is happening. Yes, it wasn't a perfect game, and I read that the team originally had much, much bigger plans for the game's design than what was shipped, but what an honor to be remade in movie form this is.

Has any game developer ever had an original adventure game title made into a movie before? I don't believe so. Developers like Telltale need to leech off of and make games out of popular movies, but Sierra can inspire movies. Most will never have anything close to the legacy and influence of Sierra. I am a Sierra partisan for life. :-) Long live Roberta!

Well you could always argue. that Pirates of the Caribbean = Monkey Island (and Pirates is actually based on an original MI movie script). And like Al Lowe has said, Deuce Bigalow is Larry all in but name.

Oh, and then there's that Maniac Mansion TV-series.

Back in the day, there was talk of turning Tex Murphy: The Pandora Directive into a movie titled "Black Sun Ascending." It never happened, unfortunately.

Also, yes, Phantasmagoria really is terrible. :) But it's the fun kind of terrible; it's one of those games that is completely unaware of how terrible it is, making it that much more fun. It's basically Mystery Science Theater fodder in a CD-ROM format.