Do you remember the wait for KQ8?

Mop Jockey

Does anyone around here remember the wait for KQ8? I remember it being a long but exciting time (but then, I was only 8 when it came out!). I imagine that, before it came out, it probably seemed like a truly epic game...I mean, the screenshots and story elements released made it seem like an awesome, technologically astounding game: The Kingdom of Daventry in full 3-D! A deep plot! New characters! It must've been exciting....

Does anyone else here remember the long (4 year!) wait between KQ7  and KQ8? What did you expect KQ8 to be like before it came out? 

You mean MoE, not KQ8 ;).  I realize that the German box did say KQ8, but the NA box did not nor any other releases that I know of. I say that only half kidding as it is so unlike a KQ game that many do not consider to be so. I do not dislike the game, but I don't think of it as such myself.

I realize that the German box did say KQ8, but the NA box did not nor any other releases that I know of.

Mobygames begs to differ: http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/kings-quest-mask-of-eternity/cover-art

But, yeah, it is radically different. The predecessor was groan-inducingly saccharine kitsch. MoE I quit after stout polygon stud Connor decapitated a chicken, with the headless corpse running through the decidedly ugly scenery for a couple of seconds.

I always saw it as a continuation of the timeline. I don't mind it being called KQ8. It was the eighth King's Quest game and it was made by Roberta, whether we like it or not. That's good enough for me. I didn't mind the game, though I still need to finish it. I think I got stuck just after the Daventry level. Really should get back to it.

Actually, I'd love to see MOE remade in the Skyrim engine. THAT would be sweet. No, it's not really adventure, but if someone pulled it off right it'd at least be a bit more fun.

On topic, I don't really remember waiting too long for MOE. I remember hearing about it from the KQ Collector's Series disc and then it came out sometime later, I'm not really sure. Wasn't really waiting. I guess I had more to keep me busy at the time. I remember when my dad finally bought it, though. He really enjoyed it. He loves adventures, but he also loves Tomb Raider-style games. The first 3D Indiana Jones games were another of his favourites.

As I said, I was half kidding when I mentioned that it was not a true KQ. I mean obviously it starts in Daventry and you get to see the petrified Graham, but it is enough of a departure that I cannot see it as a true 8th installment. I still like the game, but for very different reasons than the KQ games. As to being designed by Roberta, she lost control of it as Sierra was changing hands and Ken was no longer CEO. It is probably one of the main reasons that Roberta has washed her hands of any future game design. Ken had a post on his Sierra Gamers about the development of MoE that goes into all of this.

By the way, if you still have your copy, I am assuming you know that my installer will get it working on Win7.