IGN SpaceVenture interview

TribeHasSpoken

Whoah, is it marketing blitzkrieg season, or what?

Also, thumbs up for the gaming journ-lol-ist not even being capable of making it past the first question without inadvertently pointing out his glaring lack of knowledge on the subject he‘s reporting on.

The last Space Quest game was quite a long time ago(*), and since then you guys separated and went down different paths

So competence! Such research! Wow! I rate 3/5 Mtn Dews!

(*) Read: "I've never heard of a Space Quest game coming out on the 360"

The most heinous crime a journalist can commit is not being specific enough for gamers. Boils my piss.

Doritos fired!

I actually do consider it to be more important for the success of SpaceVenture for the big sites to even cover anything related to Two Guys rather than just being 100% accurate on their developement history.

Even more important would be that the Two Guys actually come up with something worth covering. Them getting their names out in a bigshot mainstream gaming rag like IGN all of the sudden could imply one of two things: they‘re either on the verge of finally releasing something worthwhile and try to drum up some hype, or they‘re hoping for Mr Moneybags (that being a potential publisher) to chuck some spare change their way.

In other words: They wouldn't give this project the added exposure (and therefore put considerable extra pressure on themselves) if they didn't expect some sort of payoff. Colour me curious, not really in the interview itself (which consists of the usual mix of old news, "We've learned from past mistakes"-platitudes and anecdotal regurgitation), but in the fact that they're suddenly shining the spotlights on themselves.

If you ever find yourself in the presence of Scott, don't ever imply that he's interested in working closely with Mr. Moneybags. You'd find yourself with a boxed copy of SQ1VGA up your ass in no time.

If they wanted that kind of my help, my gut feeling they would've asked straightforward for it where possible a long time ago. I'm sure a company like Phoenix wouldn't mind throwing some dough in their direction. But they seem to be hell-bent on staying independent. Can't say I blame them either. Could be that IGN were the ones to reach out.

There could be a whole host of reasons. It wouldn't be in keeping with the Two Guys' (and Chris's) style to do this to drum up capital investment and/or an impending release, but, yeah, could be that.

There's also nothing to suggest that it wasn't just a fan, or someone following the kickstarter story who wanted to do a very easy, very quick piece of e-mail copy and paste to get something up on the site and earn his/her $1.75 for a puff piece. There's no analysis there - it's just like one of those "interviews" the fan sites used to do back in the day.

What concerns me more than anything is the cynicism. Free thinking and critique requires questioning people in the public eye. It doesn't mean assuming that everyone is up to shenanigans and everyone is out to screw people over. Ask those questions about Scott and Mark. But don't assume it's the default position. Because if you think that's how they operate, then why give them any money in the first place? I prefer Hanlon's razor - Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

If you genuinely think all journalists, businessmen and politicians are totally corrupted and have no desire to do good, then either:

a) do something about it and become a good journalist, businessman or politician; or

b) find your nearest doomsday prepper colony and ask about their long-term membership programme.

I think we can pretty much definitively discard the "drumming up investor interest" conspiracy theory. More likely, it is to remind people that the project is still out there and active -- and, for those that weren't looking in their direction back in 2012, that the project actually exists.

As for courting publishers, let's just say that's not really an option, either. I know that particular bird never rose from the ashes, if you catch my drift.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like a dodged bullet to me.

Say what you will about Phoenix, but at the very least they get shit done. While Jane Jensen is about to push her second release since her Kickstarter out the door, Tim Schafer is trying to come up with a way to magically let the funds for the second half of his game fall from the sky.

Maybe their technical skillz aren't quite up to scratch, but at least they appear to have work ethos and seem to know what they're doing (instead of going for the "Let's make this shit up as we go along!" approach). Which comes in handy when working on a shoestring budget.

No idea why y'all would scream "conspiracy" at the insinuation that they may be on the lookout for investors. It's not like I'm accusing them of anything shady, on the contrary: From what one can assume from the project status updates, it's not exactly been smooth sailing and I would deeply respect and appreciate any attempt on the Two Guys/Chris' part to secure some additional funding/resources to get this game out the door.

Was meant as a tease, sorry if it came out too harsh. My real point is the IGN author is a real adventure game fan like us, and could just as easily have sought TGA out rather than the other way around. So I don't consider one article substantial evidence that TGA are courting investors at this time. If a bunch more interviews start coming out now instead of shortly before release, feel free to hand out some I-told-you-so's.