SQ1 VGA: Stop the Hate

suejak

Definitive SQ1 poll  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer the fantastic VGA version of SQ1, or the other one?

• VGA
    • EGA

Time to settle this question once and for all: Which SQ1 version is the best, and why?

Straight-up, I prefer VGA. I love the AGI engine and I love parsers. I even made an AGI game when I was 12: Monkey Man and the Quest to Kick Some Balls, set in the Ulence Flats bar and starring characters both new and familiar to Space Quest fans.

Yet I undeniably prefer the VGA remake. It is the one I remember admiring the box art for in the store. It's the one whose 60s film-style trailer sucked me on an old demo disc. It has personality and it looks amazing. The Deltaur is a rad-looking giant mantis that locks on predatorily to the Arcadia. The interior of the Deltaur is beautiful and suspenseful. The bar has seriously rockin ZZ Top music, and you can even talk to the patrons. You don't even have to savescum to rake in the cash at the slot machine.  All the portraits give the characters new personality. Running from the spider droid is way more fun with a mouse than it is with arrow keys. Killing the orat looks awesome, whether you do it with the spider droid or the bottle of dehydrated water, because the orat looks so awesome, and the little orat part that comes out looks awesome, and everything is awesome. I'm sure there are hundreds more great things about the VGA version, but there are too many so I forgot.

People say the AGI parsers offers more freedom, and they're probably right. But it also offers more Ugly, and a lot more Sorry, I don't know what a Plunger On The Wall is.

I like VGA, but it's not a Two Guys from Andromeda game. It's a Bunch of Random Guys from Korea game. That takes some of the glitter off it. So I went with "No", even though I'm not sure you can even answer the question you posed with a no. Whatever - you sure as hell aren't getting a "Yes".

Also, 4chan called. They want their posting style back.

I can't answer an "either/or" question with yes or no. What the hell?

But, if I could, I'm going to have to go with EGA. Sure, the music in VGA rocks, and Josh Mandel wrote some killer new material for the click events, but having heard how betrayed Mark and especially Scott felt about the VGA version left quite a sour taste about it for me.

Do you prefer the fantastic VGA version of SQ1, or the other one?     

Yes    

No

village_idiot.gif

15511.jpg?1394722404

I like VGA, but it's not a Two Guys from Andromeda game. It's a Bunch of Random Guys from Korea game. That takes some of the glitter off it.

having heard how betrayed Mark and especially Scott felt about the VGA version left quite a sour taste about it for me.

So, we can't judge the remake on its own merits but by how butthurt TGA were about it. Figures.

I liked the design of the used spaceship salesman in the original better. Same goes for the design of the Deltaur. I preferred the humanoid looking Blues Brothers (and their chiptune rendition of I Can't Turn You Loose) to their blue-skinned counterparts in the remake. Also, the remake pulled that dumbass move of making the game speed dependant on CPU speed (all the VGA SQs are guilty of that though - Skate-O-Rama anyone? Cliffy rescue sequence?). Other than that, VGA version all the way.

Are you now also unable to read, Mr. Neekburm? I stated that the VGA version is something I "like". Then went on to state why I still prefer EGA. I don't know why you took offence - it isn't a Guys from Andromeda game. It might say so on the box, but it isn't. I was stating a fact that affects my impression of the game.

You are able to judge the VGA version however the fuck you want no matter what I think of it. I don't know who "we" are, so kindly relay that message to the rest of them.

Sometimes it's as if some of you guys are deliberately trying to stir up shit. I don't know why, but can you go duke it out somewhere else and then come back when your voices have dropped?

I don't know why you took offence

Probably because I didn't. It's really, really hard for me to get offended, especially over a non-issue like which version of SQ1 is superior. Maybe I worded my reply a bit too strongly, maybe the following will help to clear things up:

And that's not valid criticism (where have I heard this before?) because..?

I didn't say it wasn't valid, I said that there must be more valid points to criticise a game. You know, stuff like "I don't like the visual style, the graphics are shit, the gameplay is clunky, the controls are horrible, the story is stupid, the jokes are lame, parsers suck, point&click has dumbed the game down" and so on and so forth.

If Howard Hawks were still around and said "Carpenter's The Thing is an insult to everything that made the original great.", would people then go on and say "Hey, I love the Carpenter version, but this guy made the original, so I'll just take his word for it and, errm, like his version better, because he obviously knows best."

That's sort of the vibe I get here. It just feels kind of silly to me.

Sometimes it's as if some of you guys are deliberately trying to stir up shit. I don't know why, but can you go duke it out somewhere else and then come back when your voices have dropped?

I liked the previous version of that sentence way better. That was some sound advice in any given situation right there! :D

Hahaha, I love how European and confused this community is. The poll is intentionally nonsensical because there seems to be an overwhelmingly anti-VGA vibe here, as I picked up from the Sierra Superfan Hangout vids ;)

I don't want my clear favourite to lose the poll in a landslide... Anyway, I'm not sure why that didn't get across, but we'll just let that one go, lol.

More importantly, it's nice that the only two identifiable assholes here are now at each other's throats  :D

Ah great. Now the funny joke thread has turned into serios busnss debate.....sigh.

I didn't say it wasn't valid, I said that there must be more valid points to criticise a game. You know, stuff like "I don't like the visual style, the graphics are shit, the gameplay is clunky, the controls are horrible, the story is stupid, the jokes are lame, parsers suck, point&click has dumbed the game down" and so on and so forth.

Despite what you may think, it is ok to dislike something based on principle alone. And it's not a terrible principle. It makes sense and is a noble one in this case. Don't pass it off like it's not. Just as we all understand it's ok to like something even though the original creators do not. Opinions! Nobody's trying to tell you your opinion is stup-.....I mean, er....

I happen to dislike VGA's art direction, but I do like the remake itself. It does not to the original justice at all, though. I just think the EGA has more "Space Quest" in it as far as atmosphere goes. VGA feels like some fan work that doesn't respect the style of the series and just does it's own thing. It sticks out like a sore thumb? If they had designed it in the style of SQ4 it would have been much better. But the differences are glaring. I get the style choice, really. SQ1 is the classic so they make it look like a classic sci-fi. I just happen to really dislike it. Not a fan of old-school sci-fi like that. I much prefer the 80s look. Even compared to today's depictions of the future. There was real character to it. Also, in the remake Ulence Flats is so colourful it looks like a family amusement park rather than the rundown, lowlife, desert-placed, weather-beaten scum dump that it's supposed to be.

If Howard Hawks were still around and said "Carpenter's The Thing is an insult to everything that made the original great.", would people then go on and say "Hey, I love the Carpenter version, but this guy made the original, so I'll just take his word for it and, errm, like his version better, because he obviously knows best."

That's sort of the vibe I get here. It just feels kind of silly to me.

Silly to you. I think it's fine. Anyway, who cares?? I could say that you're being silly and a mere sheep fooled into liking the remake because of all the extra pretty neon colours it flashes around to get your attention by accessing the pleasure center of your brain while the actual content is all lifeless and fluff. Just as dumb. So you like the cartoon look. Right on. I appreciate some of the art, it's just not my thing. You prefer it. Go you. Go me. Go all of us for having opinions.

Go you. Go me. Go all of us for having opinions.

Welp, you‘re putting too much work into a rebuttal where none is really needed. As I said before, I consider it a non-issue. Prefer whatever you want for whatever reason.

More importantly, it's nice that the only two identifiable assholes here are now at each other's throats  :D

Holy shit, the weekend is saved!

Before I bring out the popcorn, could somebody please clue me in: Is this another attempt at humor masquerading as stupidity or just plain stupidity? I‘m a fairly safe target to go after, considering I‘m the forum‘s resident contrarian. But I fail to see how antagonising Frede is supposed to accomplish anything.

Christ on a bike...

Nobody said that the only reason they didn't like SQ1 was because of Scott and Mark not being involved. It was just the one point they made in the thread before moving on.

So you're not "just sayin'" about there needing to be more valid criticism (because nobody claimed or denied that). You're just shit stirring.

But, hey. You're edgy. You speak your mind. You're not going to kowtow to what "the man" says you're supposed to behave like. Manners are for squares. For mealy mouthed sheeple. You talk. You bring the truth. You say what needs to be said, because it needs to be said. You are: Fronzel Neekburm.

:wub:

Hmm, I was hoping for a fun thread about why the VGA version supposedly sucks, because I've always really liked it :)

That's really all...

Well, at least you got a fun thread about something sucking alright.

Best thing is how quickly a thread with "Stop the Hate" in the title escalated into a pointless shitstorm of butthurt this quickly. Hey SQ peeps, take the thread title to heart and stop the hatin‘, yo!

I'll be honest, and I know I'm in the minority here, but I actually like the remake a lot. Moreso than the original. But then again, my perspectives are a bit eschewed for several reasons.

1. I generally dislike ALL of Sierra's AGI games, due to not being a fan of the AGI engine in general. With the exceptions of Space Quest II and  Manhunter 2, I really don't like Sierra's AGI games (even the early KQ games).

2. I also dislike arcade sequences in games, and the fact that you can neither skip the skimmer game nor the slot machine in the original causes it to lose points in my book.

3. I think a big part of what colored my dislike for the original SQI was how hard it was for me and my family as a kid. To give you an idea, we NEVER got off of the surface of Kerona. We made our way to the big alien head, but I didn't learn until I replayed the game as an adult what you had to do to understand him in the first place. We never even knew we were supposed to kill the Orat, and I don't think we ever figured it out. And we played it for YEARS!

So yeah, that's my perspective. Ken Allen's soundtrack, of course, is amazing, as is Josh Mandel's script writing. And I do like the updated graphics as well. I can appreciate the artistic nature behind the AGI games, and I definitely understand the perspectives of the people who prefer the original. It's just not something that I'm a huge fan of.

In response to Troels' and Frede's most recent Back Seat Designers podcast, I suppose SQ1 VGA would be a guilty pleasure of mine. ;)

Although, I will say I still prefer SQIII and V to either version of this game.

Talk to you later!

JDHJANUS

Josh