SQ Multiplayer. How'd it be?

Sledgy

For now there's multiplayer thing for AGS

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=730108803710824&set=gm.10153165086185744&type=1&theater

But engine is nevermind

SQ fangame with multiplayer

What plot, gameplay, characters will be in this project? How do you think?

P.S. For ex, sarien.net has SQ1-2 with sort of multiplayer thing

sqinc.jpgsq_header.jpg

The problem for me is that I don't think the Space Quest universe lends itself well to a multiplayer experience. At least not if we assume it's a traditional SQ game starring Roger Wilco.

But I could see an MMORPG set in a similar sci-fi comedy universe. Maybe based around the universe of SQ5. Or a multiplayer offshoot of one of the arcade sequences. Battle Cruiser, for instance. But as far as a multiplayer adventure game goes, I don't think it would work.

Aren't adventure games by their nature single player? Because of the need for scripts, lack of procedurally generated goals and the focus on telling a story, I'm not sure it could work.

As Fred intimates, it would require a shift towards RPG mechanics. Maybe Elite Dangerous with dick jokes? </Toleman>

Interestingly enough Al Lowe was trying to crack the idead of multiplayer online adventure games back in the 80's and early 90's before he made Larry 5. He was working in a project between Sierra and AT&T I believe, which was developing some of the first on-line gaming systems and Sierraland was Sierra's answer for that. They never did get the adventures running though, but a functional piece of that software still exists, in which you can play card games etc. other online games.

What plot, gameplay, characters will be in this project?

One of the earliest multiplayer modes to be implemented will be Fish Tag. It works like Hot Potato, in that whoever has the fish at the end of the round loses. You get rid of the fish by wandering a maze of random rooms, solving procedurally-generated puzzles that give you the right to pass the fish to other players, all of whom are moving throughout the maze as well. Players who don't currently have the fish can solve the same puzzles to earn powerups, like 'No Backsies' armor (prevents you from being fished by someone you just passed the fish to) or a cloaking belt to hide you from other players' radar.

Aren't adventure games by their nature single player? ...As Fred intimates, it would require a shift towards RPG mechanics.

Suddenly I'm recalling The Realm, Sierra's ill-fated early foray into MMORPGs before MMORPGs were even really a thing yet. Not really sure about the adventure gameplay elements, but it was designed to *look* like one of their adventure games, using the same type of screen-by-screen viewpoint.

I remember having a free trial for it and playing it a bit back when it came out. Some jackass tricked me into wearing a cursed necklace that killed me instantly, then took all my stuff that I dropped when I died. <_< This, of course, was back in the days before anyone cared about things like ninja looting or unsanctioned player-killing...