Could the fan-made SQ7 ever be revived?

Mop Jockey

I am curious about something: Now that there is a new, seemingly more fan friendly Sierra than in years past, do you think the guys that worked on the SQ7 project (the one that involved Josh) would ever consider reigniting and finishing it and trying to obtain a fan license? In my honest opinion, there could never be a true Space Ques game without either Scott, Mark or Josh involved. I truly doubt Sierra would ever ask the Three Guys in any combination to work on a new SQ game, and I don't know if they'd even want to work with the new Sierra even if asked, and even if they did, it might be very different from what the original Sierra might have done...As such, this SQ7 project might be the closest we ever come to a classic, vintage Sierra style SQ7, along the lines of what might have actually been an SQ7 circa 1997 or so...Considering all that, is there any, even a remote possibility that the guys who worked on it might consider reviving the project and trying to get a fan license to publish it the way TSL did, as an "unofficial" sequel? It'd be a damn shame to never have it see the light of day in some form. I mean if TSL could get a fan license, why can't the unofficial SQ7? All they'd have to do is remove SQ from the name, as Sierra doesn't even own the "Space Quest" brand.

In my humble opinion, I'm not sure the logistics really make sense with Scott and Mark having Space Venture as their flagship project. If SV really does well and they are able to continue with a sequel, they may never see the advantage from a business stance to pull SQ into the mix. Although I have starry eyes for the prospect of a return to SQ7 as you do, I wouldn't hold my breathe for that. Let's just take stock in the fact that we are even getting ANYTHING relatable to SQ.

HCH

In my humble opinion, I'm not sure the logistics really make sense with Scott and Mark having Space Venture as their flagship project. If SV really does well and they are able to continue with a sequel, they may never see the advantage from a business stance to pull SQ into the mix. Although I have starry eyes for the prospect of a return to SQ7 as you do, I wouldn't hold my breathe for that. Let's just take stock in the fact that we are even getting ANYTHING relatable to SQ.

HCH

Perhaps, but the SQ7 I'm talking about didn't feature Mark or Scott, just Josh Mandel. I'm curious to see what direction he might've taken the series in anyway. I'm of mixed feelings on SV.

You asked me this in a PM, but just to reiterate, it's a "never-say-never" thing with the Space Quest license. I doubt that Neo-Sierra would go to Colin and have him restart the SQ7 project, especially since there's been a fair amount of fan outcry that "you can't do Space Quest without the Two Guys." Back in the day, the fan-SQ7 project started because not only had Sierra cancelled SQ7; there were no "Two Guys" anymore. Now there is.