Heeey all! Long time no posting. I have been pretty busy these times, and not really active on the forums. I do still check the forum regularly for posts that could possibly catch my attention, but these days, with life, and the current downfall of my second Minecraft Space Quest, I didn't post anything since a long time. I then thought to myself : if I don't see any posts that captive me enough to continue posting on here, why wouldn't I make my own one?

So I got this passion recently into game theorizing. I love game theorizing. Thinking about what could possibly be some things that are unused, or left-overs, of the final game. Space Quest was, and still is, quite a challenge for me. There are so many things in this game that are left-out from the public, released version, and I love theorizing on what could've been the possible use for those things in development. For example : the bear in Space Quest III, the unused two deaths in Space Quest I EGA, the rag in Space Quest VI, the keycard in Space Quest IV, why Stunt Flyer and Dacron Danny got removed from the bargain bin in the Galaxy Galleria... so many things. Here, I want to know what are your own theories about of those things, and more. The theories that you did come up with through the years. It's always interesting to see other perspectives. :) Anyways, that's all I got for now. I'll be soon posting my own theories on here too. Thanks for reading and I hope you have a wonderful day. Stay tuned!

- BlockMaster

I don't know if it fits in the category, but I made (or I tried to make) a high-resolution version of the screenshot that has been posted on the old spacequest.net, a long time ago, showing a mysterious bear-like creature in a film-strip. After spending a couple hours in paint.net, and coloring the bear with the normal, used Space Quest III colors, this is what I came up with :

Old one :

post-1712-0-69673200-1428247978_thumb.png

Retexturized :

post-1712-0-09012900-1428248035_thumb.png

Doing this showed me a couple things :

One, whatever they were going to do with this bear, they probably didn't finish texturizing it.

Two, the eye of the creature has no pupil.

Three, the eye colors are a lot different than in the original image.

Anyways, that's all that I have for now. I was really hoping to be able to retexturize "The Empire Sucks", on the Tie Fighter, but I might just do that later. Anyways, I hope you enjoy. Stay tuned!

- BlockMaster

why Stunt Flyer and Dacron Danny got removed from the bargain bin in the Galaxy Galleria...

This one I know. They got removed from the game because the bargain bin was a serious pain in the ass for the coders. Being able to drag the individual boxes around the screen took up so much memory that it crashed all the time. So they had to cut those two out for memory reasons.

Does someone here have an idea of what the rag could've possibly be used for in Space Quest 6, or what creature of Space Quest I VGA could've been holding the chainsaw that killed Roger in the unused Space Quest I death? I'm curious... By the way, I don't know if it's related, but I found some sprites of armored Sariens showing them in a way that you never get to see in the game : Walking frontward, backwards, and in the four diagonals. Also, four more unused sprites in the same folder, but those have been removed. I had a theory where the garbage robot in the Deltaur could've been the one chainsawing Roger, since it is situated in a narrow left-right corridor, and as if the hazard wanted to support my theory, there are two missing sprites in the garbage droid's folder (probably left and right version of something) and I thought that might be the sprites depicting him chainsawing Roger... no death image for that though, unless it was supposed to use the same one as when Roger goes through the laser beams, which could've been logical. If only there was an older version or a beta of Space Quest I VGA...

- BlockMaster

This one I know. They got removed from the game because the bargain bin was a serious pain in the ass for the coders. Being able to drag the individual boxes around the screen took up so much memory that it crashed all the time. So they had to cut those two out for memory reasons.

That I did not know. I initially thought that those titles were removed because they were references to Sierra games (Red Baron and Leisure Suit Larry), and that Ken objected to Sierra lampooning its own titles... Admittedly this theory would not have explained why the King's Quest 48 reference was kept, unless Scott fought tooth-and-nail to keep it in the game.

If I'm not wrong on this, there are two other versions of Space Quest I VGA, older than the DOS version : Atari and Amiga. I have been looking for those for a long time, and I couldn't find them, until yesterday, when I came across a hidden link of spacequest.net archives which offers all game versions for download, except Atari. Unfortunately, the file download aren't hosted anymore, and therefore I'm unable to download them and explore the code. Where could I find these again? The only places where they sell the game are all selling DOS version, and technically, I already bought the game, since I have it on Space Quest Collection. Any ideas? Also, are those versions really older than the DOS?

- BlockMaster

The DOS version of SQ1 AGI was first. It was released in Oct, 1986 in North America.  Most of the other platforms were released in 1987. While AGI was intended to be portable, it was designed to be primarily for the PCjr. Atari was never a primary target for Sierra. At that time DOS/Tandy/PCjr and Apple would have been their primary markets.

As far as I know there was no Atari release of SQ1VGA. It was a late SCI1 game that would have been a bit beyond the capability of the Atari. It was released for DOS, Amiga and Mac.

Yes, but I don't have it. The later version would have been bug fixes. Earlier versions were probably replaced soon after the initial release for the bug fixes. Also, the game versions for the different platforms would have had little to do with other platforms. Part of the different game versions were very dependent on the interpreter version, which were way off from other platforms.

The information on that site is in error concerning the SQI Remake. I believe the last Sierra game released for the Apple II was King's Quest IV AGI. The Atari ST handled releases up through Sierra's SCI-0 releases, they stopped support after the move to VGA (although I suppose technically it wouldn't have been that hard to port the EGA version of the SQI Remake to the Atari ST). Nevertheless, Collector is correct in that the only versions that were released for the remake were DOS (both EGA and VGA), Macintosh, and Amiga.

I *have* seen a KIXX box that uses the SQI Remake cover art for an Atari ST version, but my understanding is that it was the AGI version, and not the remake.

Talk to you later!

JDHJANUS

Josh

Nevermind on that one. I don't have any way to play floppy disks. Thanks for the help anyways. I guess I'll stick to the version I have, and hope that there is nothing really different in the code of version 1.1. Wait... 100 $... US? Wow. Pricey. And I had that version, even. It was my father's, but from the lack of being able to play floppy disks, we sold that one.

• 4 months later...

I'm back guys! I had a dream two days ago, about some unused Space Quest 6 material, and I think I figured out a couple things.

So I thought about this, and I remembered that the only item that is mentionned in the code, without being accessible in Space Quest 6 Debug is the pen. Where was the pen, you might wonder.

NARRATOR : A pen lies on the ground, probably discarded by the malcontent who scribbled on the sign.

Which sign could he be talking about? Oh yeah. Scribbling on a sign? Cyberspace office, of course. It probably was something on the ground below the sign... where the screwdriver is. But where there really a pen AND a screwdriver there to be picked up? That doesn't seem like Space Quest, to put many items to be picked up in the same spot. This made me think : what if the pen REPLACED the screwdriver before? That is an interesting possibility. Then I remembered the screwdriver being used in the cyberspace, so it's needed... or is it. What if the pen was used for Roger to pick up a number, flip it, write "his number" on the back of it, then replace it in? That would be a plausible theory, and also would explain why the pen was removed, because the team thought it was ridiculous to write in a computer. There is even an image to support the same theory. As Akril posted on her website, there is a removed close-up showing Roger's hand holding a number card...

http://www.akril15.com/sr/sq6/sq6-V5701.gif

So, what do you think? Do you think there is a link with the pen and the number cards? Let me know. That's all I got for now. Comments and ideas are always appreciated, and as always, stay tuned!

- BlockMaster