What do you want in an SQ7?

Mop Jockey

Let's say an official SQ7 or SQ continuation was ever released.

What do you want to see? Where would you want to see the story go? What do you think the next adventure Stellar mentions at the end of 6 should be like?

IMO, one of the biggest missed opportunities/tragedies in gaming is that we didn't get an SQ game in '97. Same art direction as Curse of Monkey Island but Space Quest-ified. With some resolution to the Beatrice-Stellar problem and gags on '90s sci fi. 

I know the fan-SQ7 had planned to get rid of the DeepShip 86 characters early on in their game, and Josh Mandel was on board for that plot development, so if Josh had been allowed to continue the series in an official capacity, I have a feeling he'd have done the same.

As to what Roger's next mission that Stellar mentions at the end of the game, I really have no idea. And I strongly suspect neither Josh nor Scott had, either.

I'd love to have seen Space Quest return to the more "futuristic comic book" style of SQ3, SQ4 and SQ5. (Well, SQ5 was maybe a little too "pretty" and not grungy enough for my tastes, but I can't deny it looks friggin' gorgeous.) SQ6 kind of tread this weird line between Disney-ish animation and gritty backgrounds, which didn't feel cohesive. And neither do I think a "Curse of Monkey Island" type aesthetic would work for Space Quest. For my money, it has to be dirtier and grimier.

I know the fan-SQ7 had planned to get rid of the DeepShip 86 characters early on in their game, and Josh Mandel was on board for that plot development, so if Josh had been allowed to continue the series in an official capacity, I have a feeling he'd have done the same.

As to what Roger's next mission that Stellar mentions at the end of the game, I really have no idea. And I strongly suspect neither Josh nor Scott had, either.

I'd love to have seen Space Quest return to the more "futuristic comic book" style of SQ3, SQ4 and SQ5. (Well, SQ5 was maybe a little too "pretty" and not grungy enough for my tastes, but I can't deny it looks friggin' gorgeous.) SQ6 kind of tread this weird line between Disney-ish animation and gritty backgrounds, which didn't feel cohesive. And neither do I think a "Curse of Monkey Island" type aesthetic would work for Space Quest. For my money, it has to be dirtier and grimier.

Oh by CoMI approach I didn't mean for it to be as "pretty" as that game, I simply meant as Hi-Res as that game. Basically, I'd want graphically some mixture of 5 & 6, but of course grungy. I don't feel SQ is a series that could do well with 3D unless said 3D was done well. I wouldn't want the aesthetics I've seen on SpaceVenture in an SQ game. Part of the appeal of SQ for me is it's retro feel, I suppose.

I wonder if we could rally a fan petition for Josh and Colin to resume work on their game? The more I hear about it, the more I want it, even if it meant it coming out in an unfinished beta format. 

I don't feel SQ is a series that could do well with 3D unless said 3D was done well. I wouldn't want the aesthetics I've seen on SpaceVenture in an SQ game. Part of the appeal of SQ for me is it's retro feel, I suppose.

I wonder if we could rally a fan petition for Josh and Colin to resume work on their game? The more I hear about it, the more I want it, even if it meant it coming out in an unfinished beta format. 

The SQ7 fan game was 3D, so those points actually counter each other... Regardless I don't know who you'd petition - Activision? My personal feeling is they shut down the game because it was so much in their face already - VSB never received any sort of shut down notice or anything like that, and other SQ fan games were similarly OK....

The SQ7 fan game was 3D, so those points actually counter each other... Regardless I don't know who you'd petition - Activision? My personal feeling is they shut down the game because it was so much in their face already - VSB never received any sort of shut down notice or anything like that, and other SQ fan games were similarly OK....

I meant full on, open world 3D like the cancelled Escape Factory SQ or KQ8. Josh's SQ7 was what I'd term 2.5D, if the original games were 2D.

The reason it got a C&D was because it called itself "Space Quest 7". TSL got C&D'ed originally because they called themselves KQ9.