Space Quest 3 patch not working

anyonehome

Hey all,

Im just revisiting sq series on my macbook, last time I played was many moons ago on an Atari 1040.

So Ive read theres a patch for the sound in SQ3 which enables you to hear Roger saying "Where am I"  And I cant for the life of me to get it to work.  Ive added the new sndblast.drv file which kinda works because its playing an updated version of the music but no "where am I" as he exits the pod (im guessing this is where he said it??)

Ive also have the MT32 version working which sounds very nice but no "where am i"

Im using the latest mac os with boxer, Ive tried using dosbox but I don't understand how it works at all.

If anyone can help out with this it would be much appreciated.

cheers

d

Collector answered that question before you asked it:

If you want MT-32 sound you will have to use a fan hack driver that appends the SB driver to the end of the MT32 driver (MTBLAST.DRV). Note that these only work in DOSBox. ScummVM ignores the DRV files.

Although, ScummVM will use the digital sound effects either way whether you like it or not. There's no way to disable it (the option in engine settings doesn't work).

That driver is an official Sierra aftermarket driver. It is only designed for "Hoyle Official Book of Games Volume III", "Leisure Suit Larry I" VGA remake, "Leisure Suit Larry V", "Police Quest III" and "Space Quest I" VGA. The driver that works with SQ3 is a fan hacked driver. It is included in my SQ3 DOSBox with Munt installer. http://sierrahelp.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=3925

Im outta my depth here, Ive finally worked out how to use dosbox i downloaded the file and tried to run it in dosbox but its saying this "program cant be run in DOS mode".   Any possibility you could post the drv file I need here so I could just simply drop it in with the other games files, edit the config file and get it to work that way.  Or is there something more required?  thanks again

There are new installers here: http://sierrahelp.com/Patches-Updates/NewSierraInstallers.html

Again these are Windows installers, but most should work via WINE. One thing to keep in mind is that you may wish to replace the Win build of DOSBox with a Mac build so you do not need to use WINE to play. I am not sure where you can find a Mac build of a Munt enabled DOSBox, though.

If you have an MT-32 and the floppy version of SQ4, I suggest just playing it with MT-32 sound and no digital sound effects, as they are just digital versions of MT-32 recordings. If you have the CD Version use the MT-32 for music as it's far better than the General MIDI conversion they made. It also plays true MT-32 sound effects over the lo-fi digital equivalents if you play in General MIDI or Adlib/Sound Blaster mode for music...at least I think it does. It better.