Problems proceeding in SQ5 and SQ6?

claudehuggins

Heyo! For the life of me, I cannot figure out what I'm doing wrong here. I've looked on countless walkthroughs and confirmed I'm doing the right things (In theory, anway...) but I can't seem to proceed in the game.

My first issue arises in SQ5, on Kiz Urazgubi. I know I'm supposed to climb on top of the cave entrance and crush WD40 with a rock (unless I'm just REALLY misinformed...), but even though I can successfully climb up and the music continues as I would deem normal, she never shows up. Going into the cave reveals that she seems to be hanging out down there and doesn't seem interested in chasing me at all. I'm wondering if I did something wrong?

My second issue is in SQ6, specifically with freezing the Endodroid. I distracted the bartender, attached the hookah hose to the conduits the way the walkthrough told me to (after connecting the nitro upstairs, of course) and ran up as fast as I could to turn on the nitro, but the Endodroid is still comfortably toasty. Did I miss something? Did I use the wrong conduit somehow? Or am I just not fast enough?

Forgive me if this is in the wrong section of the forums. This is my first post.

I'm assuming you're running the games on a modern system. In any case, it sounds like you may have run into a pair of timer bugs. Space Quest 4-6 (and the VGA remake of the first one) are notorious for those. The games will run fine on an ancient CPU, but attempt to run them on anything faster than what was the norm back then, and all hell breaks loose as soon as you reach a puzzle dependent on timing.

If you've gotten the games on GOG or Steam, the timer bugs shouldn't be present, however. But if you've gotten the games elsewhere, you might want to do clean installs using Collector's Sierra installers. They include patches to fix the timer issues. Oh, and welcome!  :)

My web browser decided to eat the reply I had typed up, so I'll give a short version of what I said.

I did buy the collection on Steam, but I prefer to move them to a DOS folder I have on my C: drive and launch them manually through DOSBox, for personal reasons (except SQ6, which I've found will only run through the collection's launcher). This shouldn't be the problem, however, because as mentioned before, SQ6 will only run for me through the launcher, and I'm still getting the issue no matter how I launch the games, even though I've never had similar problems with any of my KQ or LSL games.

I was considering if it was actually just me being ignorant, and thought about looking some playthrough videos to see if I was just missing something obvious, but I'm reluctant to resort to that, because I have a history of skipping to the wrong part in those videos and accidentally spoiling the solution to a later puzzle. (Especially on SQ6, since it's my first playthrough of that one.)

Thank you for offering your help!! If I can't find a fix I might go looking around for some save games. I just hope I won't end up having to "cheat" my way through the game just because I have a 2014 gaming laptop.  :unsure: It's really awesome to see a SQ fansite still alive; it would seem that being a fan in this day and age is starting to become a bit akin to visiting a ghost town, it feels.

Also, your signature gives me life.

Update: I downloaded and installed the patches. Haven't tried it on SQ6 yet, but on SQ5 it seemed to make a difference in that she seemed to be chasing me for a bit (e.g. animations playing in a way that seemed more correct than they did before), but when I jumped across the chasm and climbed on top of the cave, she wouldn't follow me anymore. I'd stand up there and eventually I'd see her footsteps in the water going towards the waterfall headed down, then completely disappears. I'm wondering if it's simply me doing something wrong at this point, though I'm not sure what. Should I be letting her chase me all the way up to make sure she gets there, or am I correct in my instinct to just book it?

I'll post more once I get the chance to test SQ6. Apologies for being so clueless  :unsure:

Once she enters the cave you exit the upper cave and then you should push the rock right away. The idea is that you're dead if she makes it out of that cave and miss your chance. I guess it's not actually a death if she never comes up....which is disappointing as I always rush to get it done to ensure the rock hits her because if she's in the cave she's got no where to go. It's the illusion of danger that causes panic. This seems obvious to me. I guess you didn't experience this. Lol

EDIT: The proper sequence should have her shooting at you from the foreground while you head up the cave, then she flies down and follows you. Did you destroy her cloaking device yet? Maybe that's it...

Do you have the branch that you use to push the rock to crush WD40? One time for the hell of it I didn't get the branch, when I went through the cave with the waterfall to get to that rock, she wouldn't follow me

If it's the same one you use to get the bananas, then yes.

Also, putting this here to avoid a double post:

On the subject of SQ6, I went looking for some save games, but to no avail as the save games were either for a version different from mine (1.0) or put me waaaaaaaaaay far ahead in the game. I downloaded some patches and I'll see if it was a timer bug after all and the patches would fix it, but it will be a while before I reach a conclusion as I'll have to play through the entire beginning of the game up to that point to see if it worked, since I never backed up my "legitimate" save games before replacing them with the downloaded ones.

Once she enters the cave you exit the upper cave and then you should push the rock right away. The idea is that you're dead if she makes it out of that cave and miss your chance. I guess it's not actually a death if she never comes up....which is disappointing as I always rush to get it done to ensure the rock hits her because if she's in the cave she's got no where to go. It's the illusion of danger that causes panic. This seems obvious to me. I guess you didn't experience this. Lol

EDIT: The proper sequence should have her shooting at you from the foreground while you head up the cave, then she flies down and follows you. Did you destroy her cloaking device yet? Maybe that's it...

(I know I said I wouldn't double post, but I only saw this just now and can't for the life of me figure out how to get more than one quote into a post you've already posted.)

In reference for destroying the cloaking device, I don't believe I have; I never thought to do it on my own and the walkthrough I used upon getting stuck never told me to. If the idea is that I'm not supposed to, then that's not the problem, but if I should, that could be it.

Update: The patch I downloaded for SQ6 worked, and I'm proceeding through the game normally now. Still having troubles with 5 but will keep y'all's notes in mind next time I try. Thanks a bunch  :D

My issue with the endodroid may have been timer related after all, as after installing the patch I did the exact same thing I did last time and suddenly it worked.

EDIT: Haha, I got the sequence in 5 to work! Still not sure what my problem was, but regardless, I got past the part I was stuck on.  :)

• 2 weeks later...