msylva

Finally played Vohaul Strikes Back... awesomeness!

I just finally got around to playing Vohaul Strikes Back, and wanted to say how great the game was!

It had been a while since I played such a great adventure game.  It was funny, the puzzles were fun, and the people who made it were obviously huge fans of the source material. For me, VSB was a solid 9.5 brooms out of ten, and should proudly stand in the Space Quest Canon.

I started Space Quest Incinerations yesterday.  It's definitely very interesting already. I'm a bit confused as to what happened to Beatrice's pregnancy from the beginning of VSB. Is that ever addressed?

Gotcha.  I assumed that Incinerations was consciously written to be a direct sequel to the Renegade ending of VSB, but I guess it's a bit more complex than that ;)

VSB felt to me like a Sierra-Lucasarts hybrid (and I mean that in the best possible way).

On 5/24/2018 at 11:56 AM, msylva said:

Gotcha.  I assumed that Incinerations was consciously written to be a direct sequel to the Renegade ending of VSB, but I guess it's a bit more complex than that ;)

I worked on VSB, but was making Incinerations separately. The choice to plug it in VSB's renegade ending was a lightbulb moment of mine that seemed cool at the time, but I regretfully didn't consider certain story aspects until much later. As MI said, consider it a story in a separate universe, but with a similar shared history where not all the details will line up. There's not too many references to VSB in it anyway. Both should be enjoyed independently.

On 5/24/2018 at 11:58 AM, MusicallyInspired said:

Yes. I believe the style and approach was inspired heavily by Curse of Monkey Island. But don't quote me on that. Perhaps someone on the team could chime in to confirm...

Frede is a huge fan of COMI, and I think most of the writing and art style was influenced by LucasArts. I think there was also the idea that we wanted to make something that looked more "late 90's" than "early 90's".

On 5/30/2018 at 11:24 PM, Datadog said:

I worked on VSB, but was making Incinerations separately. The choice to plug it in VSB's renegade ending was a lightbulb moment of mine that seemed cool at the time, but I regretfully didn't consider certain story aspects until much later. As MI said, consider it a story in a separate universe, but with a similar shared history where not all the details will line up. There's not too many references to VSB in it anyway. Both should be enjoyed independently.

Interesting, thanks for the clarification!  Most of what I've seen of Incinerations (I'm currently on Havok's spaceship) would fit with the renegade ending of VSB, minus a few things here and there. Are there still plans for a special edition, as I remember reading about? I'm having a lot of fun playing Incinerations too, the darker yet funny mood is a nice change of pace.

On 5/30/2018 at 11:24 PM, Datadog said:

Frede is a huge fan of COMI, and I think most of the writing and art style was influenced by LucasArts. I think there was also the idea that we wanted to make something that looked more "late 90's" than "early 90's".

It felt like a very nice hybrid of the Sierra and LucasArts styles, with Sierra's cool settings and death scenes, and LucasArts's dialogue and comedy. I might be a bit biased as the humor style was very much along the lines of what I typically like.

I just finished Incinerations today.  Another really great game, congrats to the makers!  I have to admit I was a bit lukewarm about it at first, with ***spoilers**** Beatrice acting like a psycho-jerkbag and the lack of continuity from VSB's renegade ending (as I was initially expecting), but it sure goes in full-blown epic mode when you get to the Forager, and then cranks it up to 11 at the end. 

I think I might have a slight preference for VSB as a Space Quest sequel, but both games were top-class, and the best adventure games i`ve played recently (and that includes Thimbleweed Park).

Next stop, SQ2-remake!

14 hours ago, msylva said:

I have to admit I was a bit lukewarm about it at first, with ***spoilers**** Beatrice acting like a psycho-jerkbag

This was a common complaint from back when it was released. I was going to go back into the script and fix it up, but I feel there would be a double standard in doing that. Because when I went through the dialogue, it was pretty clear that Roger's selfish entitlement to his "future wife" was the problem, and Beatrice's defensive attitude was a delayed, but appropriate reaction to staying in a relationship with him. This is a case where voice acting probably would have helped, because hearing the confliction and fear in her voice would have added a lot of subtext to her character.

And seriously, I think Roger is the real monster in SQInc. He trashes weddings, steals from the homeless, sabotages a military operation and drugs and his best friend just to reclaim some former glory. He's kind of at the breaking point where an adventure game hero becomes the villain.

On 6/1/2018 at 9:06 PM, msylva said:

Are there still plans for a special edition, as I remember reading about?

Not anymore, but this was just posted today if you're interested.

On 6/5/2018 at 2:09 PM, Datadog said:

This was a common complaint from back when it was released. I was going to go back into the script and fix it up, but I feel there would be a double standard in doing that. Because when I went through the dialogue, it was pretty clear that Roger's selfish entitlement to his "future wife" was the problem, and Beatrice's defensive attitude was a delayed, but appropriate reaction to staying in a relationship with him. This is a case where voice acting probably would have helped, because hearing the confliction and fear in her voice would have added a lot of subtext to her character.

And seriously, I think Roger is the real monster in SQInc. He trashes weddings, steals from the homeless, sabotages a military operation and drugs and his best friend just to reclaim some former glory. He's kind of at the breaking point where an adventure game hero becomes the villain.

Good point. Playing as Roger (especially at the end-point of the series), it's pretty easy to just accept his actions when they come with a Eureka moment.  His shredding of that poor dog's cellphone was pretty harsh too ;)  I just finished replaying the entire series, which has left me even more impressed at the 2 fan games.  The voice acting in VSB was actually pretty decent. I played the remake of SQ2 and was put off by Roger's voice in that one, to be frank (he sounded too much like Larry Laffer).

Thanks, my opinion of the casting pretty much lines up with Troels' impressions. We were faced with having to re-cast some major roles and/or re-record a bunch of lines and at that point we all had other things on our plate.

On 6/24/2018 at 11:01 AM, msylva said:

I played the remake of SQ2 and was put off by Roger's voice in that one, to be frank (he sounded too much like Larry Laffer).

Isaac's original Roger voice for SQ2 was far better and I really liked it. It was a little more straight and closer to SQ6's Roger. Then someone (I don't remember who) wanted it to sound closer to what it eventually became. I and others disagreed. I never thought Roger should SOUND particularly dumb (I also dislike Roger's voice in SQ4), but that his intelligence should be an ironic contrast to his otherwise normal speaking voice. The only problem with SQ6's Roger I think was that he was a little TOO eloquent with his speech. But regardless, what he went ahead with the more goofy voice anyway (I don't remember why) and he had already recorded tons of lines that he obviously and understandably didn't want to re-do by the time discussion grew about it. It's a bit of a shame. But of course, Isaac did a great job with the direction he took regardless. It just wasn't the best choice for the game.