Arcade sequences in new Guys from Andromeda game.

Chrono

We all know that arcade sequences in the old Sierra games, were a real bane for many players. The Skate-O-Rama sequences from Space Quest IV comes to mind for me ;). Do you want to see this tradition kept in the new Scott Murphy/Mark Crowe game, or would you rather they just stick to traditional puzzle solving?

All of the arcade sequences were cool. I think if done right, they can add some extra flair to the game. Maybe make it skippable (like AstroChicken or Incinerations chicken-shoot) for the people who don't want it. But arcade has always been a part of SQ>

The only one I really disliked was the skating sequences in SQ4, as I felt it was needlessly frustrating. Ironically however, that happens to be my favorite installment in the series ;). I think my favorite would be the confrontation with the android in SQ3, if that counts as an arcade sequence.

The Space Quest series pioneered the arcade sequence in adventure games. SQ1 was, according to the Collection manual, "the first game to use the position of the on-screen character as part of the puzzle." So, really, we have The Two Guys to thank for all those annoying arcade sequences we've had to suffer through, in their games as well as others. ;)

I wouldn't call the Skate-o-Rama an arcade sequence, though. Nor was evading the droids in the Super Computer, for that matter (it's exactly the same, yet people seem to dislike that one less - maybe because it's actually beatable). Even The Two Guys let up by letting you skip the burger sequence.

So I think, yeah, I'm up for some arcade fun in the new game, definitely. It's all part of the sadistic branch of game design The Two Guys were famous for. But, of course, for playability's sake, they should probably make it skippable, or at least include a "cheat" somewhere - like with the slot machine in SQ1VGA.

I can't believe we forgot to put an arcade sequence in VSB.

Did we ever plan one? I don't remember.

The yellow ship-screen featured a "Curse of Monkey Island"-style sequence, only with a slingshot rather than a cannon. After that got scrapped, we didn't think of arcade sequences anymore, it'd seem.

As long as they get the timer code right ... ;)

Mein Gott, you're such a wuss. E-ver-y bloody Space Quest fan loves a nice arcade challenge. It's you who has to spoil the fun for the rest of us with those misplaced YouTube video's, only inciting young people to start drinking cheap Danish red whine. I'm a disappointment. Very. And that's no typo.

... I need another glass of whine.

:D

As long as they get the timer code right ... ;)

Mein Gott, you're such a wuss. E-ver-y bloody Space Quest fan loves a nice arcade challenge. It's you who has to spoil the fun for the rest of us with those misplaced YouTube video's, only inciting young people to start drinking cheap Danish red whine. I'm a disappointment. Very. And that's no typo.

... I need another glass of whine.

:D

The only SQ arcade sequence I was ever any good at was the floor scrubber in SQ5. Arcade sequences can lick my sweaty ones. :)

I wonder if that was Scott or some code lackey.

I asked Dan Carver, who was producer on the CD-ROM version of SQ4, why the timer code was changed. He has no idea. But it almost certainly wasn't Scott. As far as I know, any contributions to actual code by Scott were made in the disk version -- the CD-ROM version was a separate project.