What are you playing?

pcj

Didn't play that either. Came out December last year? I just peaked at the trailer, and it was great. Loved the style. Will defenately try the game. SQ2 is greatness after all.

Here's a non-fun fact. I studied in Winnipeg many years ago. Got my little degree at University of Winnipeg. Now that's a darn cold place! Nice people, cold place.

May the Janitor Gods throw you a cloth to wipe your crud.

Vonster D Monster

By the way, I started playing Vohaul Strikes Back for the MAC, have Macs at home, and am really enjoying it so far. An impressive job I must say. Downloaded SQIn and the SQII remake as well, haven't tried them yet though. Obviously a lot of effort went into SQ:VSB, and in truth I feel very much like I am playing a new SQ game (new to me at least). That really is saying a lot for a fangame. Seems you guys really have left us old timers in the dust.

May the Janitor Gods allow for even more adventures of my old friend Roger Wilco.

Vonster D Monster

Obviously a lot of effort went into SQ:VSB, and in truth I feel very much like I am playing a new SQ game (new to me at least). That really is saying a lot for a fangame. Seems you guys really have left us old timers in the dust.

Thanks! :D

There's certainly a nice 'full circle' feel to having you play our game. There's a good chance it wouldn't have been made if you hadn't made TLC first and proven that fans can indeed make feature length SQ games.

Incidentally, I just worked on the game a bit today after a long pause and the voice pack reached ~25% completion. If you happen to be into voice acting, there's still some open roles (auditioning info here). It'd be an honor to have a bit of Vonster in the game :)

trying to play space quest 2 on my ipad and failing

playing Civ 1 on my ipad but can't save games :(

also playing Reign of Thunder beta (mechassault 3)

playing mass effect 2 (not sure what everyone is jumping up and down about, seems like a pretty generic action game to me)

playing NFS The Run - when did "Easy" become damn impossible? Ugh.

playing mass effect 2 (not sure what everyone is jumping up and down about, seems like a pretty generic action game to me)

Um. Generic? You get to play action games where you can make different choices, via dialogue, that impacts how various things will turn out? And that selecting certain things will actually change how it all impacts everything? That's generic action? I must have a list of these generic action games you have played. Because ME is anything but my "generic action" type of game.

Um. Generic? You get to play action games where you can make different choices, via dialogue, that impacts how various things will turn out? And that selecting certain things will actually change how it all impacts everything? That's generic action? I must have a list of these generic action games you have played. Because ME is anything but my "generic action" type of game.

You can turn off all the RP stuff though and make it just another run-and-gun game.

Right, sorry. Thought that was around in ME2, but it was just a difficulty setting.

I wasn't questioning it - just wasn't certain. I only played ME2 in normal mode (beat it with several different character builds). But with ME3, on the second play through, I did switch it to RP Mode (where your team mates are stronger since combat isn't a main concern).

At the moment, I'm playing Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep on PSP, mostly to kill time until KH: Dream Drop Distance drops (heh heh) for the 3DS in a few days. I'm also playing the Amazing Spider-Man game (based on the movie) and it's absolutely kick-ass. :D

I'm currently working my way through Tales of Monkey Island

I approve! Telltale did a great jeorb job of not only making a new MI game that feels like a natural part of the series, but also giving the original series some sort of closure (not unlike the way VSB and/or Incinerations do with SQ).

and replaying Borderlands on the side

Reeeeealy? What platform? ;) If it's PS3, I've got a Lv50 Roland who could use a partner in crime...

Eh. Sure, the Mass Effect games are unique in terms of plot structure and the player's choice in how things play out, but...well, to be honest, IMHO the actual gameplay isn't *that* good. I've definitely played shooters that were more entertaining in terms of gameplay mechanics, and the RPG elements weren't strong enough to really feel like a full-fledged feature to me. Great game concept, lackluster technical execution.

yah I'm sorry but that just doesn't matter to me at all. it's still go into a room, shoot a bunch of dudes, rinse and repeat. If there are other gameplay options, the game doesn't do a good enough job of presenting them.

I know full well what a "landmark game" ME2 is considered but the whole experience feels flat to me. If that makes me an ignorant gamer, then so be it.

Eh. Sure, the Mass Effect games are unique in terms of plot structure and the player's choice in how things play out, but...well, to be honest, IMHO the actual gameplay isn't *that* good. I've definitely played shooters that were more entertaining in terms of gameplay mechanics, and the RPG elements weren't strong enough to really feel like a full-fledged feature to me. Great game concept, lackluster technical execution.

imho (single player) halo has perfected the right combination of blowing stuff up and pace that delivers pulse pounding thrills time after time. COD is too fast, ME is too slow.

multiplayer I think all of those games are ridiculous but that's a whole different topic.

yah I'm sorry but that just doesn't matter to me at all. it's still go into a room, shoot a bunch of dudes, rinse and repeat. If there are other gameplay options, the game doesn't do a good enough job of presenting them. I know full well what a "landmark game" ME2 is considered but the whole experience feels flat to me. If that makes me an ignorant gamer, then so be it.

No, it doesn't make you an "ignorant gamer" (nor was I implying such) - I was merely marveling at the idea of a shooter that could make ME2 look "generic." Shooters, are just that. Shooters. Go into an area, kill, rinse and repeat. What makes one stand out - is the story as to why you're character is there doing this. To me, this is what makes ME (1,2 and 3) stand out above the rest. It's not just ONE story. You can go through and do different dialogue options that could result in different things (siding with one alien race over another over geneophage and such). And for the most part, if you import save games from the previous ME games, it "remembers" (almost everything) you did previously (if you sacrificed "X" ally in the previous game to save "Y" ally).

imho (single player) halo has perfected the right combination of blowing stuff up and pace that delivers pulse pounding thrills time after time. COD is too fast, ME is too slow.

and...

It is downright hilarious that you consider Mass Effect 2 to be a generic action game, but you praise Halo for having basically the same qualities.

Agree with Dat. I own and played and beat EVERY Halo game. From the first one, down to ODST, Reach, etc. I enjoy the Halo games. The difference is, the Halo games don't have that complex of a story (ODST did better than the others in terms of story). I think the reason for this is - Halo is all about Master Chief. Just Master Chief. Everyone else is going to be cannon fodder. ME offers you allys that have distinct personalities and different dialogue things that they will say when you speak to them (and sometimes, when you're walking around they will say things). To me, this helps me get more involved in ME. It's not just about me shooting up people and things. It's about my allies that are with me, who have these personalities that seem pretty real. It's not about keeping me alive, but it's about keeping my team alive - not because I want to, but because I come to a point where I care about these characters.

So to me, ME is anything BUT a "generic shooter." It's by and far, a superior shooter in my opinion.

I get some don't dig the mechanics, and prefer a more realistic type shooter (Battlefield 3 and such being extremely popular). That doesn't concern me. I play shooters for the story that I get - WHILE I shoot stuff.

You praise HALO. It's good. But in my view, not even close to ME. Gears of War, for that matter, to me is much more superior than Halo. (Gears of War being my second favorite shooter, sometimes beating ME, depending on my mood).

Well I finished SQ:VSB. And I started SQ:in. I am just blown away by the quality of these games. Its flippin' amazing. I have no idea how you guys pulled this stuff off, but it is truly astounding what you have produced.

By the way mjomble I will check out the auditioning stuff. Not sure I'd be any good, never voiced anything other than the memos I recite to myself while I try to remember why the Vercotron looked the way it did. And nobody hears you talk to yourself in the void of space, so its all good.

May the Janitor Gods have mercy on my sorry tail for not even coming close to the stuff you guys have done since.

Vonster D Monster