SpaceVenture Prototype #1

Thanks, I used to have a number of browsers installed to check for cross browser compatibility, but I no longer have Chrome installed and do not intend to any time soon. Works without issue on my FF 12. Google claims you need Chrome for all sorts of stuff that you simply do not.

I think this engine shows promise. We're already seeing transparancy, Panning on a large image, animation, click events, pathfinding, and walkable/unwalkable areas.

The animation seemed to lag a bit behind the controls, both in FF and Chrome, but I think that's an implementation issue.

The biggest remaining features, I think, are

* Y-scaling, so Roger gets bigger/smaller as he moves toward/away from the screen.

* Sound (Hard, HTML5 hasn't a well supported sound API. Flashfallback until browsers catch up works)

* Embedding other media. Luckily HTML is *good* at this.

* Progressive downloads - The engine should load resources as needed, not all at launch. This can be done per "room", though, so the current model can work.

* Inventory!

Hey guys, glad to see everyone trying it out! I'm one of the two guys from Q42 building this thing with the Two Guys. It's been a lot of fun so far, but we still have a long way to go. e1ven seems to have a good idea of how HTML can be used for a game engine and what kind of features we still need to work on.

We're really looking for your thoughts on where you'd like to see this going next. Is inventory important? Death sequences? Music and sound effects? More things to do? Text parser?

TEXT PARSER PLEASE! LSL7 is I guess the only adventure game that while mostly point and click, managed to give a nod to the old text adventures and implemented the parser masterfully. I would love to see something similar in SPACEVENTURE.

Text Parser +10, most definitely. Besides the usual features any adventure game should have (inventory, death sequences, music, sounds, etc) I would like to see something new. I mean, all the other stuff has been done before, right? So why not spent some time brainstorming about a completely new feature.

Hi there! Long time listener, first time caller.

First let me say I'm psyched for this game! I have nothing but the highest hopes. There have been some exciting announcements for Adventure Gamers lately, but this one has me the most excited. Space Quest was a huge part of my childhood.

So I tried the Prototype, and I know it doesn't represent the game since it's a prototype and all, but this is what the feedback is supposed to be for. I'd just like to make it really clear that I hope this isn't going to be a single-click type adventure game. Parser would rock, of course, but I realize it might make the game a hard-sell for some amateur adventurers. I like Single-Click adventure games (Machinarium rocks) but I don't think it fits well with the Two Guys' humor. I want a variety of commands to use on any object I want. That was part of the fun of the old Space Quest games was trying to find little easter eggs by using the wrong command on the wrong object. Hidden humor is the best humor, and that would be lost if all we had to do was click everywhere to find it.

Anyway, like I said, this IS a prototype and I'm sure it was just intended as kind of a proof of concept. I expect the finished game will be more complex. I just wanted to throw my 2 cents into this project. (And when I get my paycheck, I'll be throwing in my $100...)

Was enjoyable. Very bare bones. Was great to see physical evidence that the game is being developed right now though! I definitely agree with Pak-Man. I'm hoping the interface has complex commands and there's a variety of ways to interact with objects. One of the most endearing elements of SpaceQuest was trying to discover how to navigate through a particular situation through interacting with a range of objects in a range of ways.

Not bad. Not bad at all. I think anyone prejudging the ability of HTML5 to do this will have to rethink a little bit. Obviously, we won't know fully until later down the line (see Colin's post), but lookin' promising.

My personal hope is that the interface is a little more similar to the SQ4 / SQ6 one (at least as far as the mouse point and click is concerned). Or VSB / Incinerations. Point is, I don't think a single click interface is necessarily a good way to go. It might work, but I do like the ability to move from hand to mouth to nose to feet.

And, no, that's not "what she said".

Thanks Rahul/etc :)

For me, the number one feature is dropping a one click system. it's been long held in the Sierra community that the weakest Sierra gams- GK2, KQ7 had these awful one click hotspot interfaces which devalued the already elementary point-click interface further. It ruins interaction since by default, you only have predefined game hotspots to begin with. As Gareth said, you need the old-school, "look", "touch", "talk", "sniff", etc.

I would also like, but this is yet to come, some more 2 Guys style humour imbued in there. Maybe one death just to give us a taste that they've still got it. And no, the word 'pantsload' cannot be used.

Was it just me that was left a bit disappointed with the demo? Yes I know it's a prototype, but a prototype of what exactly?

Honestly I'd rather have seen some game art or music. Demos like this one may be a bit of fun and interesting for us longtime fans, but can't see it excite new pledgers. Maybe it even scares them away.

Was it just me that was left a bit disappointed with the demo? Yes I know it's a prototype, but a prototype of what exactly?

Honestly I'd rather have seen some game art or music. Demos like this one may be a bit of fun and interesting for us longtime fans, but can't see it excite new pledgers. Maybe it even scares them away.

I'm glad it was bare bones and basic. I'm looking forward to seeing evolution over the prototypes. Had they gone all out on the first one, it would take away from the evolution of the product. I do get what you're saying though, it was difficult to really become immersed in the prototype.