SpaceVenture News and Rumours

JamonBull

Thought it might be a good idea to start a thread where we can collate all new and exciting news and rumours about the new SpaceVenture game. To kick things off...During JohnnyPhantom's live playthrough marathon of first four Space Quest games, none other than Scott Murphy was in the chat room! He was gracious enough to divulge some information about the SpaceVenture game and I'll repost it here. I apologise I was not able to copy and paste his exact words as they scrolled off the chat box before I could get them. However, as I was talking with him I did take some notes. Here are the tidbits, with Scott's permission to repost them.

1) He mentioned the game will be have an exploratory feel more so than it being directly linear, with the possibility of an overarching travel system for moving back and forth between environments. This came up as we were discussing the SQIII travel system and how awesome it is.

2) Soon fans are going to be able to see some of Mark's art for the game, which is apparently awesome!

3) In response to being asked whether the game will have any environments similar to the dark, grimy SQ III junkyard/Xenon style ones, Scott mentioned that the game will have a mix of light and dark environments.

4) In response to being asked whether the iPad's voice recognition software (Siri) is being considered for use with the parser interface, Scott responded that they are 'considering' many things. Hrmmm.

Voice parser would be fun! Finally, the SIRI technology would actually be useful for something. ;) (And THANK YOU, Chris Datadog, for putting that gag in Incinerations -- which I'm very impressed about, seeing as SIRI wasn't really invented when you wrote that, was it?)

I'm so bummed I missed Scott on the chat. I had a chance to wave to The Pope, though. That chat sure was chaos.

Yeah, I'm not much for iOS devices myself... but the idea of a voice parser is really cool -- sounds like a possibly crazy difficult to implement kind of tech thing, but maybe one that could actually finally "save" and bring back the old parser thing... Especially if there's a way for both Gary Owens and GlaDOS to ridiculous us at the same time while using it. Might be one revolution too far, this time around.

Thanks to the Two Guys and Chris for stopping by, it was fun!

A voice parser would be a nice little novelty, but I certainly would not like it to be the only option, for two reasons:

1. It requires a microphone peripheral.

2. Reliability - If I have to repeat the command repeatedly in order for it to register, or say it a certain way, it defeats the purpose of having it in the first place.

So... this thread. News and rumors about the game itself, as in a wish-list, or actual news and actual rumors as printed in the press? I'm glad that everyone is excited about the parser interface (hybrid P-n-C plus parser, IIRC from both JohnnyPhantom's marathon and then confirmed in the live chat). However this seems not to have anything to do with a proper press-mention list/thread.

I'm inclined to begin such a list in another forum topic... any objection?

So... this thread. News and rumors about the game itself, as in a wish-list, or actual news and actual rumors as printed in the press? I'm glad that everyone is excited about the parser interface (hybrid P-n-C plus parser, IIRC from both JohnnyPhantom's marathon and then confirmed in the live chat). However this seems not to have anything to do with a proper press-mention list/thread.

I'm inclined to begin such a list in another forum topic... any objection?

Yeah that's what I intended this thread to be. A place where people could come to update the community on news and/or rumours they had seen. It could be official press stuff, tweets from Scott, Mark, Chris or anyone, or whatever! I just felt it would be good to have a central place for up to date information and discussion around it.

Ok, that's what I thought. The way I'm used to a press thread running is that the topic starter sort of "owns" the top post of the thread, and continually updates it (in dated list form or similar) so that newcomers to the thread see the latest at a glance. I'm envisioning something a bit less jovial and a bit more informative (i.e., a little less blokes at the pub, and a little more... well, Wikipedia).

I like there being both, but there is still a time and place for a boring list, sorted by date ;)

Yeah I think that's a good idea! I too have been a member of forums where they are run like. I was a member of a Michael Jackson fan community for a very long time before he passed away in 2009 and that's exactly what we had there. But yeah, with my current job, I definitely don't have the time to be maintaining that kind of a post/thread. There wasn't one like that here when I got some good scoops from Scott during Johnny's playthroughs, so I thought I'd start something at least.

The other problem as well is that for a thread like that to work, it kind of needs its forum members to actively be collecting the news they find around, whether it be press releases, interviews, twitter updates or info they themselves source to be posting it in that one location which then in turn gets copied and pasted onto the initial post. I'm not so sure the members here are yet active enough to do that. But hey, starting that kind of thread will definitely encourage engagement! If you wanna start one, and are committed to continually updating that initial post with news and rumours that get posted in the thread, then you definitely won't be stepping on my toes! Peace!

StellarSoul

Ok, great! I've got a huge list compiled and sorted by date (you know what I mean). The way I'm used to it working is that I'd maintain the top post, users would post new URLs, and in the top post (near the bottom) I'd simply note the post number that I'm up to.

Then, to keep that thread uncluttered, I'd send all discussion to *this* thread, which is suited for actually... well, discussing all the news! All I need is a thread fairy to cling to my news thread and remind people constantly to stop discussing news in the press thread :lol:

Well I don't know if there's a need for two threads at all. Wouldn't your top post just be the uncluttered library (which I think is an awesome idea) of all the news, and then from post two onwards it's just people posting news and discussing it as it unfurls naturally? I doubt people would get the two thread system, I know I've never seen that done before. But as I said, whatever works s_d, I'm just along for the awesome ride! P.s. You sound really keen on news and updates and stuff! Isn't the forum advertising a 'reporter' position?! You should totally go for it! I considered it for a while as I love that sort of thing but as I said, with being a teacher and all, I don't have a lot of time these days.

Ah, dude, I have a full-time job (which I have to be off to in about 5hrs... sleep happens somewhere in the middle). I can scrape a thread for URLs and keep them up to date. But I can't sort through discussion and such to pick them out!

I'm also *never* going to go 19 pages deep into a google search again :)

I like the tone and momentum of this thread. I'll link out the other one periodically at the Kickstarter thread and hope that it doesn't get cluttered, or else people will have to send me PMs on the forum and I'll give up on keeping it up to date... at any rate, here is my first whack at it:

http://www.spaceques...nd-kickstarter/

Well, I'm tuckered... time to call it a night!

So this guy David Hyatt just supported the KS:

David Hyatt about 2 hours ago

Hi all -

A little birdie told me this game might be be implemented in HTML5, but there were a lot of doubters on here. I on the other hand think this would be absolutely great since I love Space Quest and I love HTML5 :-)

So let me help, I've just pledged $1000 and will go up to $5000 IF this game is done in HTML5. What about that? :-)

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Dave_Hyatt :)

That's actually super awesome. As a massive fan of Apple this really excites me. Using HTML5 for the prototype and hopefully the game was an awesome decision as is clearly the case now that Apple/Apple employee's are paying attention. Wowzers!

P.s. Just tweeted Scott about the guys offer, not that he won't find out from a million other people. But IF they are truly planning to develop it in HTML5 and are not considering other options, now might be the time to be transparent about it. Especially if that transparency is worth an extra $4000.