Strategies for Upping Pledges?

RVDT

Hi, everyone -

Apologies if this is a little facile...

So we've got a pretty solid core of backers right now (around 4000). Of course, we'll pick up more backers as the campaign continues, but 4000 seems pretty good. Anyway, if we can get some sort of momentum going on the KS comment page, we could (potentially....) up the total amount pledged even if backers only raise their pledges by a modest amount. Any ideas? I'm not sure how many backers actually visit the message board, but surely a good number do. At any rate, it really wouldn't take much (from each individual) to seriously get this KS going, and to raise morale. Did they do any sort of 'micro-raising' thing on any of the other successful kickstarter campaigns?

Again, apologies for my naivete re: kickstarter, etc.

And you guys rock!

I hope there's another podcast today! That would help.

Also would like to see more scheduled marathons. Those are fun to do and participate in. Some people missed the last one.

I think the backers can help spread the message: let's make sure these fun adventure games come back and because there is enough people to support the game development. There's no questioning the intent of the Two Guys, or the game they can make, and it will be great, so it's an easy pledge!

As for the current backers: they're getting a lot more pre-development/design content that hasn't been green-lit. The project hasn't even been funded yet, and they are providing so much content,... the current backers should be satisfied, perhaps enjoying themselves! LOL

As for responding to FAQs, most of these are already addressed on the kickstarter project page. Link to it for more info: http://www.kickstart...f-space-que then they know where to go next.

We are on track to having a fairly broad base of support (around 9,000). If we could give them a reason to up some $15 bucks that is some $135,000. This will probably happen in the last 48-72 hours (in for a penny, in for a pound). I'm personally holding some additional funds in reserve and will commit depending on how things are going the last week.

As a pledger for both Larry and JJ's Pinkerton campaign, I can tell you that we had a couple of "uppling pledge" campaigns. They helped, but not by a huge amount. For Larry, it was up your pledge by a multiple of 69 ($0.69, $69, $69.69, etc). For Jane, it was up your pledge by $6.66. We could conceivably do something similar for the Two Guys.

We can also help one another spread the word. If there's forums you frequent, that you can post about this - do so. Then post the link here. Some of us could join the forum, and discuss SpaceVenture on that forum, and possibly generate more interest in potential backers.

For me it's all about the tiers, not so much what I get from backing, but about being able to spend a reasonable amount of money considering my budget. For example, I've committed $150. I'm happy to go up to $200 but probably no more. There's a big gap between the $150 and $250 tiers that needs to be filled to push people like me up a little bit. I'm sure there's lots of gaps like that in the tier structure that could be plugged with mid points.

I think it would be cool to try and see if we can make some mini-goals.

We have nearly 2500 $15 backers. What would it take to turn that into 3000? We have 618 $30 backers. What about 750? etc.

How can we focus and double down on increasing the smaller numbers, which will in turn increase the big important number? Perhaps that will help us focus on some short term goals rather than sitting here staring at the $211k slowly ticking away.

PS. StellarSoul, there is nothing stopping you from pledging $200 anyway if that's what you can spare. You don't need a tier to increase your pledge. Remember, we're in this to get the game made, which means doing anything and everything we can to reach that $500k. I personally don't need anything in return for that except the knowledge that the game is going to be made. And honestly, all these rewards are cutting into how that $500k will be spent. I'd prefer if they spent it making a great game, not sending t-shirts, registering stars and printing coins. But that's me ;-)

Don't really think the comments thread campaigns are very effective -- They certainly help the moral of some key more attentive backers, but the upselling will really happen automatically with updates, or near the end.. It's a pretty small minority of backers that are engaged regularly in the comments/forums,

Don't really think the comments thread campaigns are very effective -- They certainly help the moral of some key more attentive backers, but the upselling will really happen automatically with updates, or near the end.. It's a pretty small minority of backers that are engaged regularly in the comments/forums,

I probably would not have known about the SpaceVenture, had it not been for the forums... I knew of the LSL one, because I am friends with Al Lowe on FB... Knew about SpaceVenture and Jane Jensen's because they were posted on a forum (SierraHelp.com) - well, technically, I knew of the SpaceVenture KS campaign - only because the Two Guys site had been posted, so I had been on it (then their FB page for it). And as a result of me know, I pledged 50+ to Jane and LSL and 100+ to SpaceVenture. If you can reach just ONE person, it might be worth it. And having companions with you, upselling it (rather than you fighting the fight alone) always helps.

Because, in the end, it certainly won't hurt.

How about something like this: http://i.imgur.com/p0hhR.jpg ?

Anyone knows how much does advertisement cost in some popular USA newspaper? A national, not local one. I'd expect it's pretty expensive, but maybe the administrator of this site could organize a fundraising for it and we could also invite backers from Kickstarter to contribute.

Maybe the Two Guys can also chip in for part of it if it's too expensive to raise everything by ourselves and they think it's worth it.

Here's how I see it:

Negative:

I think that delays with prototypes are a very bad thing as well as lack of communication from Scott and Mark lately (3 days is a long time in internet world). I know that some of the backers pulled back their pledges because of this.

When it comes to announcements, I think that TGFA should use more powerful way with words, such as "we will do this and that" instead of "we might do this and that", because "might" = not confirmed. I don't want to lecture or offend anyone, but to me it's more convincing when they confirm things in their announcements.

There's also people who are very sensitive about DRMs, DLCs and even technology.. When announcing that kind of stuff, it's good to choose words carefully, negative stuff on the kickstarter page can hurt the project.

Positive:

I think that the prototype concept is great, although extremely hard to pull off (running a kickstarter means working 24/7 even without prototypes!!).

Stuff made for prototypes should be included somewhere in the main game, that way it's not waste of artwork if the project gets funded.

It's also very nice to see that TGFA stick to their principles (beautiful art, humor, PARSER!)

In my opinion we have absolutely great community here willing to push ourselves and make SpaceVenture happen.

The stuff community did in LSL and especially Jane Jensen kickstarter was beyond awesome! These people ROCK!

Even in slow times, these guys are not hopeless or negative!

We need:

MORE EXPOSURE!

Interviews, articles etc.

I think we need another marathon near the end of the campaign with Guys from Andromeda onboard (thanks for being around in JohnnyPhantom's marathon!!).

The marathon made by JohnnyPhantom was great, but he had some bad luck there (force majeure).

Im sorry if I didn't make sense/used some "wrong" expressions in some parts, English is not my native language.

i'd be against most product placement, but that product really does seem to fit with the old adventure gaming cliche of the infinite jacket. not only that but it's called the scottevest and that already matches the first name of scott murphy !

It would be a little funny if when you met up with the two guys, they commented on your vest. "Hey, nice vest! Great name too!" says Scott, And Mark could say something like "Yeah everything except the silly name."or something

anyway couldn't hurt to talk about these things

i'd be against most product placement, but that product really does seem to fit with the old adventure gaming cliche of the infinite jacket. not only that but it's called the scottevest and that already matches the first name of scott murphy !

It would be a little funny if when you met up with the two guys, they commented on your vest. "Hey, nice vest! Great name too!" says Scott, And Mark could say something like "Yeah everything except the silly name."or something

anyway couldn't hurt to talk about these things

Another thing, the SeV triangle logo looks the same as the the on on Roger Wilco's uniforms. :)

I"m not sure if I want product placement scattered prominently in the Spaceventure....Your heart's in the right place, but I think it could drive potential players away...

I definately agree. I do like it in this case because the product fits the game. It's not as huge as I make it sound. Replace "inventory" with ScotteVest. Maybe put a SeV rack in a mall store if there's a mall. Nothing overly blatant. It's a long long short anyways. :)

I'm still scratching my head vis-a-vis the number of backers at the $15 dollar tier. I mean, if people are only somewhat interested in the game or if they can't spare the dough, then I understand their reluctance to pledge more. But at the same time, a $30 increase from the first tier gets one some pretty cool stuff. What more could be done to entice these backers to up their pledges? Over half of our backers are at this level, and it would be awesome if we could convince them to pledge some more money.

2Guys put out a call for ideas to get folks to up tiers. And because They must be obeyed, here are my stupid ideas:

#1. A "director's commentary" version of SpaceVenture (Scott and Mark commenting on the game as players progress through it). Preference would be audio, but you could even just have some pop-up notification and you get access to some text / sketches, etc. as you play through.

#2. An "Insider's Edition" whereby there are scheduled opportunities from now to release to ask Mark and Scott (potentially through live streams) about the game development and provide feedback. This could be quarterly or left undefined.

#3. A "Scott and Mark documentary" - Scott and Mark comment on their experiences in the gaming industry (how they got involved, heavy emphasis on the genesis of Space Quest / Roger Wilco / Vohaul / etc. etc.). This one is difficult given the issues over the SQ IP (and that is what most people want you to comment on).

#4. Buckapenny? The Buckazoid is a big draw ;). Consider moving that down a tier and replacing the $500 with a special collectors super-duper version. Lots of people at the $100 level are coveting this. They'd up to $150 or $200 to get this but $500 is out of the reach of some folks.

#5. "Personal" Audio/video thank you video from 2Guys if the project is kickstarted. "Personal" is in quotes because this is actually easier than it sounds. Just scroll through the list of names on the kickstart comment page and you'll notice the common first names. "Hey David, thanks for... [cut]... this is what we have in store". A good crew could put this together rather quickly and not waste more than an afternoon of the 2Guys time. Politicians raise a lot of money through such silliness: "Hey Matt, thanks for your support. Did you know X is trying to take away your Y?"

A more general comment, you guys are giving yourselves away for free right now (which is a smart way to keep backers engaged), but a whole lot of people would respond well for opportunities to continue that "access" afterwards. Most of my suggestions are in that vein but don't underestimate how cool you guys are and how happy people are for this dialogue.

- David6858

My idea: Ultimate Fan tiers for, say, $8, $80, $800 and $8000 where you put money in and get *nothing* in return. Except, of course, that the game gets made. And that the Two Guys think you're awesome. Because ultimately, we're all here to get this game made, not get free swag.

My idea: Ultimate Fan tiers for, say, $8, $80, $800 and $8000 where you put money in and get *nothing* in return. Except, of course, that the game gets made. And that the Two Guys think you're awesome. Because ultimately, we're all here to get this game made, not get free swag.

You can pledge as much money as you want without needing to select a reward.