Strategies for Upping Pledges?

RVDT

You can pledge as much money as you want without needing to select a reward.

I'm aware of that and that isn't the point. The point is the badge - you get to call yourself an Ultimate Fan because you put down money without needing anything in return, unlike those puny *regular* fans who want some "Orat on a Stick". Psh!

It labels something that is currently unlabeled. It's called "Ultimate Fan" because you "don't get anything in return" - but of course you get something in return: the Ultimate Fan badge.

Many people in the Kickstarter comments are asking for new tiers "so they can increase their pledge". All the while, they could just increase their pledge anyway, but they seem to need some kind of stamp of approval or other social proof that they can use to convince themselves to put down more money. This helps with that situation.

The problem is that some people need that orat on a stick to drive them to higher tiers. If you want people to drive their pledges higher than what a certain tier offers, you need that incentive. Alternatively, you can try starting a campaign like we did for Larry and Jane.

Maybe

I'm aware of that and that isn't the point. The point is the badge - you get to call yourself an Ultimate Fan because you put down money without needing anything in return, unlike those puny *regular* fans who want some "Orat on a Stick". Psh!

It labels something that is currently unlabeled. It's called "Ultimate Fan" because you "don't get anything in return" - but of course you get something in return: the Ultimate Fan badge.

Many people in the Kickstarter comments are asking for new tiers "so they can increase their pledge". All the while, they could just increase their pledge anyway, but they seem to need some kind of stamp of approval or other social proof that they can use to convince themselves to put down more money. This helps with that situation.

I'm not sure about the whole backing for no reward idea. I know that I definitely want some of that cool stuff offered! But maybe SpaceQuest.Net could offer special 'badges' that appear under your avatar permanently. Obviously, there will be lots of fans generated once the new game comes out, but how cool would it be for the original fans to have a badge under their avatar which indicates that they were an original backer of SpaceVenture! Maybe these badges could be differentiated by colour? Bronze, silver, gold, platinum, diamond, whatever.

The truth is as much of a fan as I am of the Two Guys, I need an incentive to raise my pledge. I work for my money and I need a reason to give them more. As much as I appreciate them as designers and as much as I would like to see a new game from them, my priorities will always lie with in my personal affairs. For example I love the LSL series to death, but I didn't pledge beyond the 100 tier because I didn't find the rewards interesting. I might have gone to as much as 250$ with the right incentive. I'm at the 150$ level right now for the Two Guys but I might raise my pledge to 250$ if they added another interesting reward. For Tex Murphy I pledged 250$ because their awards are awesome. That's just the way Kickstarter works. It's not a charity, people expect something in return, even if they are huge fans.

I definitely think a $50 tier where you get access to a secret forum with exclusive info and access to the Two Guys a monthly Q&A with a status update of how the game is progressing/a few teasers would be very attractive to a good segment of the backers.

SpaceQuest.net could even host this :)

The idea of a documentary also seems to have been popular with earlier kickstarters, but I'm not sure it hasn't pretty much been done to death by now. I also don't know how practical it would be.

Edit: I think it might be better to add the forum access to the $45 tier. The matrix is already quite complex.

Edited by Leonard

The idea of an exclusive club and a hidden forum appeals greatly to potential backers. The promise of exclusive look at ongoing content and design aspects for DFA was instrumental to its success, I'm convinced.

It is appealing, but the whole thing could backfire horribly if it was added to the 30$ tier. Double Fine had the exclusive forum+all the programming and design updates at the 15$ level. And they have reopened the 15$ tier on their website to allow the so called slacker backers.

I think another point touched on by Leonard is that the tiers are way too complex. It makes for very confusing reading for Joe Spaceman who wants to balance a good pledge with some cool swag (sorry Rahul, not buying your Ultimate Fan idea, we're ultimate Fans for funding a game we know nothing about because of Scott and Mark).

We probably need a PDF at the top of the tier list that describes the 'basic' tiers (or like the chart that Chris Pope did that compares the tiers) and then you can read down to the rest as per usual.

Here are a few suggestions.

• Update your Facebook page or Google+ every time something new is released. Use a Guys From Andromeda wallpaper as your timeline cover, and if you're brave enough, use part of the image featuring the belt buckles for your portrait.
  • Get on your Twitter account, follow the Two Guys, and then re-tweet each update.
  • Log into your YouTube account, Subscribe to the Guys From Andromeda channel, Like each video, create a playlist of all their videos for your channel, and update the playlist every time a new video is released.
  • Go to the iTunes store, subscribe to the Guys From Andromeda podcasts, and click the Share On Twitter and Share On Facebook links next to your favorite podcast. Do it again each time a new podcast is released. Use the iTunes PING feature
  • If your employer's or school's email service has a mailing list for off topic threads, use it to promote the 2GA Kickstarter. If your company uses Yammer, do the same.
  • If you are a member of other forums and boards, find the thread for the off topic threads and start a topic about the 2GA Kickstarter.
  • Go to THIS thread, visit every link, post comments, beg the readers to pledge.
Promote, Promote, Promote. We gotta help make this happen!

Ken "your music pal" Allen

I sat at $15 for a bit simply because it wasn't the official SQ brand. Then I got excited by the prototype and realized this is probably MORE SQ than Activision could ever do now. Upped to $100. Now at $150. So there's hope for some $15 pledgers who may still be on the fence like I was.

Well, yeah, the second prototype showed (if there was still any doubt) that this will be pretty much Space Quest, except it won't be called that. And that is awesome!