A one-room AGI/AGS adventure to promote SpaceVenture?

OK, folks, I got AGS compiling & linking on the latest Ubuntu release. The cause of my linking problem is apparently a place where AGS wants to override the way Allegro opens packfiles ( pack_fopen() ). I've found a workaround, but I'm fairly certain that it will not work (but it does get me past the linker error).

I've questions now; anyone have insight into why AGS needs to do it differently, and other than bero (whom I've just asked about this), are there any other AGS engine hackers here?

Thanks!

Edit: Bero gave me some advice; he knew all about this problem and had another patch, elsewhere, to deal specifically with it. Major thanks to bero!

Lastly, I'm close to having Linux builds (I think), and I'm going to test it out on Troels' first whack at the minigame that he posted earlier (since he included sources in the zip archive) as a test. Assuming that I can compile AGS & libraries, and I do not have AGS Editor (because it's .NET, apparently, or at least I can see it's written in c# from the sources), how do I build an AGS game with a working port of AGS? It appears that in Linux, the game compiles as the actual "ags" binary... so it looks like I build the engine and the game basically all at once or some such.

Edit: Got it all figured out. Once the "ags" binary is built and working, I just pass it the the Windows executable as a parameter, while running in the same directory as the game asset files. Wrap that part up in a nice little script, and it's ready for installation; just looking into other installer options while bero hunts down his installer code (thinking perhaps mojosetup if I can learn it quickly).

Found some bugs and have some input. First, that was awesome dudes. :-D

Windows 7 Pro x64

If you click the talk icon on the solar system mobile the game crashes with this message:

An internal error has occurred. Please note down the following information. If the problem persists, post the details on the AGS technical forums. (ACI version 3.21.1115)

Error: prepare_script: error -18 (no such function in script) trying to run 'hMobile_Talk' (Room 2)

The tongue and nose icon messages are switched around for the computer.

The tongue and eye icons don't do anything on the chair or drawer at least some of the time (didn't test too extensively)

It's not too clear how to get out of inventory with your item or that there's an inventory at all. Maybe a permanent 'grab bar' of sorts would be a good indicator and a normal X or OK on the same line as the rest of the buttons.

Otherwise I must say that the humour is spot-on and the puzzles were good. I definitely had fun!

Ok, loaded but didn't play (everyone was looking up at the projector ;) ) ... looks awesome Akril, I'm so impressed with your work.

Also, the preliminary Linux port looks good, but I can't test audio right now (also need to set up the MIDI soft synth on my laptop). I'll do installer work instead... because that just looks like code for the most part and will help me blend in nicely with my co-workers...

Not to denigrate Linux (which I love), but is anyone considering an OS X port? It would be really great to put Akril's game out there for the widest audience, considering that we're under a week now.

But, man... her amazing effort has got to draw some press, especially geek press. If it doesn't, then I really don't know what will...

Okay, I've fixed all the bugs so far.

It's not too clear how to get out of inventory with your item or that there's an inventory at all. Maybe a permanent 'grab bar' of sorts would be a good indicator and a normal X or OK on the same line as the rest of the buttons.

Would making the "X" red make it more obvious?

EDIT: Oh yeah -- thanks, everyone!

Awesome! Let's get this sucker out! :D

Suggestion: Let's release it with a walkthrough. The puzzles may not be that hard, but it's possible to get stuck and the last thing we want is for people to get frustrated. Feel free to make fun of them for being cheaters, though :)

PS. I found a minor typo - in the click event about Swedish table names, there's a missing quotation mark.

Suggestion: Let's release it with a walkthrough. The puzzles may not be that hard, but it's possible to get stuck and the last thing we want is for people to get frustrated. Feel free to make fun of them for being cheaters, though :)

I'll work on the html + controls and getting started. Unless someone also has a walkthrough and hintbook they're working on and let me know, I'll then start working on those. (HTML so that they can just click on the tgakick or banner link and for screenshots) Also If I could get the original sprites that would be great so I don't have to do screengrabs.

More love: Bea's movements are great, especially in the outro. I laughed lots through the whole thing and having the credit card stuck in the door was genius—perfect TGA humour.

Someone get these people hired for SV!

Just got to open it and play for a bit (still at work...), looks great Akril!! Good job!

Thanks, nextheory. Thank you for providing the excellent background art. I felt a little guilty chopping it up to make it fit my less-than-spectacular design, but it definitely improved the overall look of the game.