A one-room AGI/AGS adventure to promote SpaceVenture?

The installer seems to be a lot more involved than I can accomplish in a day, but I think the port is working well enough to test. It's from Akril's final posting.

Could another Linux user give it a shot?

Setting up MIDI for audio (if it's not working out of the box) is beyond the scope this demo... so if it doesn't work out of the box, I'll have to do support via these forums the best I can.

Basically, it's a zip archive like Akril's, and you run "./pledgequest". That's it!

Also, my bandwidth is pay-per-MB so please do not mirror this URL, or it will run out of money and go down quickly:

http://www.40hex.com/projects/pledgequest1.0_linux_x86.zip

If it looks good, maybe PCJ wouldn't mind hosting it here.

It was amazing!!!! Incredibly detailed for such a short amount of development time. Good job, folks. Thrilled that I could sniff/taste everything too. Some very funny stuff hidden in there. Great references to the series.

Be sure to post it on any forum you belong to that has a thread about spaceventure. List of spaceventure threads HERE.

Thanks yet again, guys, and thanks for helping to spread the word as well!

LOL at the "my MusicallyInspired" .. no need to be so possesive.. I am sure we can ALL share MusicallyInspired.

Hey, just because I asked him to write the outro theme for Adventure: The Inside Job a few years ago doesn't mean I think he's mine...

(Hmm...in retrospect, maybe staying up until 3:00 AM for four nights straight working on this game wasn't the best idea I've had.)

Especially liked the bit about Pluto. I can't agree more!!!

And the ring-tone :)

I spent way too much time trying to figure out how to make the whistled SQ6 theme sound like an retro-style ringtone. I eventually tried saving it as a 16-bit mono MP3, which seemed to do the trick.

Hey one thing. Do we really want to include the walkthrough in the news update? It seems a bit counter productive for an adventure game... :)

Yes, we do :P

Especially when we want to appeal to a large audience of gamers, most of whom are not as hardcore.

For example, several people (including me) have got stuck (and slightly frustrated) after checking some of the drawers, but missing the fact that the top one has a different response.

The hardcore gamers can just not use the walkthrough.

Have not finished it - but loaded it up (at work and gave it a glance!) - have to say I dig what you have done. By the pages of comments - and praises I have seen - seems there's a slice of awesome that was made! Thanks for the amazing effort and time.

Thanks for doing the Linux port s_d! The linux build worked great except no MIDI joy. Any tips? Should I be able to play MIDIs in mplayer, say? (because I can't, I have to use timidity to play MIDIs). Do I need some sort of software synth daemon?

For fun, I tried to run the exe through WINE but it killed my X-Windows and I had to Ctrl-Alt-Bksp

Hey! My pleasure! It's the least I could do after Akril put all that work into it, and after I was spamming the crap out of this thread. Agreed, MIDI is a problem still. I think, long term, I'm going to need to come up with some sort of wrapper implementation where I package a statically-linked soundfont/MIDI daemon in with the game assets and enhance the launch script to detect which sound system is running (Pulse, ALSA, ESD, perhaps a fallback to OSS), fire it up prior to the game binary, and then clean up that instance after completion.

So, I'm still researching audio support (no good solutions yet), but yes, absolutely a software synth is required. We really want one that happens to create a character device called "/dev/snd/midiC0D0" :-D And then, there's distro variations to consider, as well. I am working on a solution, but I can't do any audio work while I'm at this conference... people may notice!

Also, there have been requests for a Mac port of it, and since nobody stepped up when I asked who did that work on VSB (who Lunchbox is and how to get in touch with them), I'm going to try to learn to build one when I get back to my hotel room. The approach is straightforward. It looks to be Wine-wrapped, so just a matter of learning to drive the specific packaging tools (Wineskin, in this case). I'd personally prefer a native app, but I have no source level examples to work off of.

You have my thanks too, s_d! I'm glad you're helping this game become available to as many peopls as possible. That's one of the biggest drawbacks with AGS -- the games are very Windows-centric, and I think a Mac-compliant version of the editor came out just a few years ago.

Just for kicks, I thought I'd post Bea's standing poses here, about 250% larger than her in-game sprite. I colored and animated her in Flash, then shrunk her down to get that classic VGA sprite look.

post-721-0-15202300-1339112311_thumb.png

Wow, you're quite welcome! I'm humbled by your hospitality here (all of yours, really). From what I've seen so far, Akril, your work is amazing, and I'm honored to have contributed in any way to this project. Bea looks amazing... she totally needs to be reused in a larger game, sprites, personality and all!

I'm so inspired to learn AGS now, but I'll need to go make up an entire Windows build environment (Wine perhaps?) unless I (single-handedly?) figure a way to port the Editor. And, I haven't looked through the code, but depending on what C# is used, it very well may be impossible to port directly. Anyway, that's neither here nor there, and I do have the awful Mac laptop issued by my company (which is what I'd be doing the Wineskin-wrapped PledgeQuest installer on)

Wow, you're quite welcome! I'm humbled by your hospitality here (all of yours, really). From what I've seen so far, Akril, your work is amazing, and I'm honored to have contributed in any way to this project. Bea looks amazing... she totally needs to be reused in a larger game, sprites, personality and all!

Thank you! (Technically, though, Bea is Decaffeinated Jedi's character, so I'd probably have to have his say-so if I wanted to use her in another game. :) )

Also, from what I've heard, AGS uses its own scripting language, which is very similar to C++. I don;t know if you've found this page yet, but if you haven't, it may be of some use to you.