Style of the new game...

JimmyTwoBucks

That's probably the thing I have with the screenshots of the new game. I love the SQ games, and I still play them regularly. I kinda like the graphics in the SpaceVenture screenshots , but the scenes look really empty. There is nothing to click on, no real world objects. I really hope those scenes get a lot of dressing during the development of the game..

As long as there's a tongue and a nose icon I'm good.

I definitely think it's looking nicer (to me) than other more cartooney-styled games, like Deponia, or Curse of Monkey Island.

Yeah, they seem "fuller" to me, if that makes sense, like there is a weight to them.

the scenes look really empty. There is nothing to click on, no real world objects. I really hope those scenes get a lot of dressing during the development of the game..

I think the shots came with the caveat that they hadn't added items into the shots yet, etc.

Me personally, the type of environments I'd like to see are:

• Obviously some spaceship type of things, whether they're large sprawling ships or smaller craft
  • Shops/bars to explore... like Ulence Flats, World O' Wonders, Monolith Burger, Galaxy Galleria mall, and Polysorbate LX.
I think these are my favorite kind of SQ location. I think one of the reasons SQ2 is probably my least favorite of the series is because it

doesn't have this kind of location in it...

And I think my favorite thing about SQ6 is the planet and then the rest of the game disappointed me a little, with going inside the body thing

rather than a "real" planet or location.

Been a long time since I played SQ5 so I can't remember if it has a location like this either, I can't recall one...

• After that, I guess more obviously "alien" planets, whether they are deserted, barren, jungley, etc.
  • I would like to see something that hasn't appeared in a SQ game, maybe like a gangster's palace (Jabba the Hutt style) or an arena or whatever...

Yeah, I didn't mean to say bad things about Deponia or Curse (although I've been complaining about the visual style change from MI2 for over a decade)... Deponia does sort of all melt together.

It really seems like a Sam & Max (Devil's Playhouse) style "film grain" filter over the screen would give it that slightly faded rougher, comic/SQ4 vibe.. I usually hate that kind of thing, but it seems like it could be done well.. hmmmmmmmm

Dang! As usual, I've been a real pantload.

Haha, playing "battlecruisers" in the spacebar was a riot :) I just finished replaying sq5 last night, and yes, I think the spacebar is the only venue of the kind you're describing. I, as well, loved the mall in sq4 - just don't miss that dang credit card on the way in!!

As far as the original post - I am on the exact same page. I seen the way the main character looked and was immediately let down by the cartoonish feel. However, now that I've accepted that this is NOT Space Quest, but a new game, and now that I've seen the corridor images, I'm feeling great about it. I'm as excited now as I would have been if they were making sq7. The two guys know very well what made their SQ games so fun to play.. and I believe they are aiming to deliver once again.

I was thinking... it may actually be a really good thing that it has taken this long to get adventure games up and running again,

because although I really enjoyed games like SQ4 and SQ6, I think at the time games were always trying to

make use of cutting edge developments in graphics, sound, 3D, etc., and that was sometimes a pain!

I enjoyed SQ6, but my computer at the time sure didn't! I remember having some trouble loading things on it

and it being sluggish because of my computer... it wasn't even an old computer for the time, it's just I didn't

have a brand spanking new machine that would play the game 100% smoothly. And I remember SQ4 used to

crash when I was trying to leave SQXII... it would usually hang and then crash.

So the great thing with going back to adventure games today is that the developers don't have to chase technology

to make sure their games are "up to date," they can use things that are tried and tested and will run smoothly and look good, etc.

because computers are so much faster today and adventure games don't require the kind of processing power that

a lot of the first-person shooters do...

So although something like SQ4 is really difficult to top, I think there is a good chance of doing it, just because

you don't need to fight against the rapid changes in the graphics, sound, etc. that were going on when the

SQ games were made.

• 5 weeks later...

Loved the stuff in the kickstarter video!

Highlights for me:

- TACO NOVA!!!! Yessss, tacos in space are what I'm all about!

- Landfill and gas station!!! Great place for lots of cool things, especially liked the gas station part of it.

- Ace's cool van-shaped ship! Awesome idea...

- Drop-down icon things! Walk! Hand! Look! Talk! WRENCH! Can't wait to get ta pressing!

- Rooter transforming! Nuff said...

- Drain-snake and blender! Amazing.

- Guy who looks like Watto! A spoof of Episode 1 in there maybe?

Some people seemed concerned at the main site that it's taking a long time and that the video suggested not

much has been done so far?

I'm not really bothered as long as at the end all of these great ideas come together fully formed and done the

justice they deserve... I know projects like this can take a long time, so I'd rather wait than have them rush it.

Also, hard to tell if the video really represents how far along they actually are if they don't want to show

too much stuff just yet.

• 2 months later...

Loved the stuff in the kickstarter video!

Highlights for me:

- TACO NOVA!!!! Yessss, tacos in space are what I'm all about!

- Landfill and gas station!!! Great place for lots of cool things, especially liked the gas station part of it.

- Ace's cool van-shaped ship! Awesome idea...

- Drop-down icon things! Walk! Hand! Look! Talk! WRENCH! Can't wait to get ta pressing!

- Rooter transforming! Nuff said...

- Drain-snake and blender! Amazing.

- Guy who looks like Watto! A spoof of Episode 1 in there maybe?

WOWWWWW! Really?!?!?! I've been out of the loop for too long. Gotta head over to the KS site right now! And svrewards...what was I thinking falling off the face of the earth?

For me, these types of location are also what fill me with wonder and excitement when playing SQ. A realistic feeling, that I can then extend into my own life, via wierd fantasies, for example, that the fast-food restaurant I'm at is Monolith Burger orbiting some forest moon, or whatever SQish premise fits my current situation. Haha wierd, yes.

The environment backgrounds are sufficiently realistic and grimy for me to be satisfied with the art style. And yes, grimy makes better sci-fi! For example, that's partly why the original pre-1997 Star Wars trilogy canon has such a deep and moving and exciting feel.

Where's the spell check button? Or, why doen't mispeled werds git undirlind?

• 2 weeks later...

Did I mention it's funny? I've been peeking over Scott's shoulders on the script that's being put together for the demo. Like PCJ, I am not at liberty to disclose much (unless I want an incredibly well-shirted Pope on my back), but I can tell you that those of you Josh-Mandel-types who enjoy clicking on every object everywhere is in for a treat. They're doing something with exploring the game world that I'm not sure I've seen in any other adventure game -- on the surface it's just your standard Sierra-inspired interface, but the way it works is something altogether new. And, without giving too much away, it ties into the pioneering spirit of the first Space Quest game.

Even though it has nothing to do with graphics, the writing style still has to do with the "style" of the game ... and, from a fan perspective, I'd say SpaceVenture is shaping up to sound a lot like SQ4 with some of the whimsical "going off on tangents" SQ2-style messages thrown in. That probably makes no sense. So you're just gonna have to wait and see. I will, however, share with you one piece of direction I got from Scott while adding a few placeholder messages in the script: "Gah! Puns are forbidden, Troels! I'll spank you later and don't care that you might enjoy it."

• 2 weeks later...