Does anyone have high quality (clean) box scans?

e1ven

A few months ago (wow. Longer, when I really think about it), I had thought it would be fun to print up poster-size box art for SQ, the way I have Monkey Island setup in my office.

The Scans that Frans has up on SQ.net are great, but really low-res.

I made up some of my own from my boxes, but they're no where near first editions, and have scratches, stickers, and the like.

You're welcome to my copies if you want (https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6zay8n4q9a3mi4k/fhrHcim_2T), but if anyone had a nice scanner and better boxes, I'd love to see them.

I had asked someone to try cleaning them up a bit, but he dropped the resolution WAY down in doing so, and didn't do that great of a job ;(

You're welcome to those too - https://www.dropbox.com/sh/b96klvl4brcf3pz/QYe8vNlTGI - Just keep in mind they're not poster quality.

If no one has another high-res version, the ones I have are good enough for me to print, I just figured I'd throw it out there 😉

-E "I like having reminders of things I've loved up on display"

150kB isn't really enough res to print a poster; a source image for a poster should be more like the GB files e1ven scanned. I thought about trying to clean up one of those in gimp, since gimp is fun and it's been a while since I've done anything with it, but my system is rather old and I suspect editing a 1GB file would be painfully slow.

• 3 weeks later...

So, I have them on my drive now. First dropbox was down and then the combined zip I downloaded ended up corrupted....twice. It's good now so I'll see what I can do. First though, some notes:

• Next time you scan, scan to TIFF. I'm having to extract the background image (which is cut up due to the PDF format) into photoshop and then combine the pieces into one big file. This is a very resource-hungry and processor intensive task when the image is this big.
  • The person who touched it up for you before probably ended up with the lower resolution because he did a simple 300 dpi export from your PDF, which is set to A4 size, instead of doing the extraction as mentioned above.
  • Also, half the current resolution is good for normal poster-size prints (roughly 3'x2' at 300dpi)
And a question:
  • How much of the rough edges do you want to retain? Do you want it clean or do you want the box-art look?

• 3 months later...

So I was wondering if this post was dead or not, I recently found an awesome link to some super hi rez box art posters for Lucas art games (RIP)

http://www.adventure-treff.de/artikel/features/poster.php

Now, I want to get my hands on some Space Quest Box Art Posters but it literally looks as though there is NOTHING out there.

I am a Graphic Designer by trade but I don't have access to ANY box art. I would love to make some of these a reality if you guys can help that would be amazing!

If anyone has box art they could scan and host this would be stellar. There would need to be some minor prep work before you scan the boxes like CAREFULLY removing any stickers to revile any original art underneath would be ideal.

The next thing would be scanning the images at a super high resolution, ideally 600 DPI just so we can pull off the poster size and maintain any details since I will more than likely have to use some software outside of Photoshop to scale the images even more. If 600 DPI can't be achieved I think I can work it out with a 300 DPI scan but I would feel a lot safer if it could be at 600.

When receiving the scan(s) I will color correct them and do any image touch ups / cleaning necessary.

Lastly I will get them hosted for all the world to enjoy free of charge of course ;)

Let me know what you guys think and if anyone can help out I'm sure I'm not the only one who would love to see some of these beautiful box art poster on their wall!

HCH

P.S. attached are the boxes I would love to start with, Thanks again!

post-1628-0-73717200-1369255744_thumb.png

I have actually tried taking a look at this and got a lot of the SQ1 one done. However, I've since had a million and one other things to do and probably won't get back to this for another couple of months when I'm back from China. If I have down time somewhere, I might look at it though. It's been a real pain to extract the image from the pdf (which cuts it into chunks) and put them together into one large one though, just FYI ^_^

If that PDF is cut up into pieces like that it's because it was compressed. I would not recommend trying to work off that anymore. A PDF can be used but not in that state. I really wish I could get my hands on those boxes to put these together. Is there anyway we can get the word out to more people on this site to see if anyone with the box art could lend a hand? I also appreciate the heads up about Mark having boxes Frede, but I agree they probably wont get involved with this fan project anytime soon. Like I said before I will be more than happy to make these posters a reality I just need to get the word out about the effort any suggestions with that would be awesome!!

HCH

I still think this would be a fun project. I have the LucasArts posters up in my office, and I'd love to have the SQ ones as well (My first love!)

I'm re-uploading the PDFs I had made - I generated them in as high DPI as I was able at the time (~ a year ago?). I had talked with a few people offline before I posted here.

They're 1.1G each, which is about the largest size I was able to handle.

I don't have a great scanner myself, so I had gone to a shop downtown to have them scanned.

If someone who had nicer boxes wanted to scan them, that'd still be better. ;)

If these won't work, due to the PDF nature, I can see if I can re-scan as TIFFs sometime later on.

Here is a link to the files I have-

https://drive.google...Mmc&usp=sharing

Note- The PDF versions a Much, Much, Much bigger than the PNGs. I made the PNGs to downsample/test some things.

Hey E1ven! I think these will work great job with those scans they are awesome! And those stickers wont be a big deal they are not laid over anything important so removal will be a snap! Also I dunno if you have anymore of the boxes that you could have scanned, if not hopefully after I get the first one done we can start getting them hosted on here or the Two Guys site to spur others to pitch in and offer up some of the other box scans. Once again great job!

HCH

Ok guys I just finished the SQ3 poster but I don't know where to host it any suggestions? here are the links to the different versions of the poster let me know what you guys think. Also Neolycan the only ones I have are SQ3, SQ1, and SQ2, if you have 4,5 and 6 this would help a lot!

HCH

Below are links to just the web versions. I would like to find a way to get them on the two guys site but if not if they could be hosted on SQ.net that would be great too!

http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w481/MegandJer/sq3_with_Sierra_Logo.jpg

Hey HCH,

sorry it took so long, anyway, here is a gallery on minus.com of IV, V and 6 as requested. I did some minor corrections on the boxes, mostly on IV, removing scratches and such, though many still remain... I had to do so with a online version of photoshop as I currently am away from my home computer so I couldn't do too much work on them. If these are too small I can see about changing my scanner settings to scan them at a higher res. Let me know. Great work on SQ3 btw!

oh and on SQIV I left the "255 colour version" sticker on there, I thought it was an interesting footnote in gaming history, that there were versiobs of the games with less colours... I can scan it again after trying to remove it, but I was afraid of damaging the box, hopefully it's not too much of a burden to remove digitally for you, let me know. :)

Hey Neolycan, These are pretty good but I need more :) I attached an image of the art on how it pulls up in Photoshop. Right now it comes in at 29in x 36in at 72 dpi but actually I need it to be more in the range of a 200 dpi image. Right now if I translate it to a 200 dpi the inches change to a 10in x 13in image. The best way, if you can get them to me in this way would be to get the images scanned at 600 dpi. The files are going to be huge but I need the resolution to be there if it's gonna even be worth retouching. I'm going to standerdize the posters to be 18in x 24in at 200 dpi. When you have large images like this you don't have to work with the standard print 300 dpi. Also don't worry about trying to do any corrections just leave it to me, there's quite a bit of processing i'm doing on these to make them sparkle for you guys. And thanks for the SQ3 nod I really appreciate it :)

Thanks again Neolycan!

HCH

post-1628-0-02813900-1369863066_thumb.jpg

pcj,

Everyone seems to rave about snapfish... though from past experince it seems a lot of the online places seem to give you a lot better service if you're a business seeking to print a lot of things with them, one or two things for a individual... not so much.

MusicallyInspired,

I just sent some scans over to HCH of my boxes of SQ1VGA, IV, V, and VI, hopefully they'll serve his purposes and we will have some nice quality poster size images from them. I'm waiting to hear back from him to see if they met his qualifications or not...