Paul Trowe criticism on Kickstarter update

In my view, there would have to be a lot more than bipolar disorder going on.

I don't think Paul is bipolar. I think he's exactly the same guy all the time. Which is to say, he doesn't really seperate how he is personally from professionally, or publicly from privately.

His comments about SpaceVenture would have been the sort of thing that would be fine to say in private, or even to say anonymously. SpaceVenture's biggest problem, development-wise, has been the fact that the project lacks a producer; there's no design document, no clear milestones or scheduling. Paul is a producer with a lot of experience and I can totally get why he'd have particularly strong opiniopns about that.

But whatever it is in most of us that would make it common sense not to post that under your own name in a public forum and not expect a backlash just isn't there in Paul. He doesn't have that filter.

It's really turning sad now and to the point where there's not really anything funny about it anymore. A company seems to be unraveling from within, affecting not only those we have heard about who got slapped silly with the ban-hammer, but probably also a number of Replay employees who had no real horse in this race to begin with.

I agree with MI that there's really nothing more to gain from this speculation into Paul's mental health. Instead, I'll try and get a sappy video bit shot sometime during the day and send it his way. :)

I find it ironic that Paul Trowe was complaining about a lack of response from the 2GFA, yet the recurrent questions on the status of Replay doing LSL2:R remain unanswered. If I remember that correctly, Codemasters only licensed LSL1 to Replay with some (more or less implied) promise of licensing the whole series if that first game did well. Replay must now be at a point where they're negotiating for those upcoming licenses. It would certainly explain why we're seeing the first LSL:R sale now. If Replay fails to get that license, the thought arises as to which properties would carry Replay into the future. (It would also explain why we're not getting a confirmation on Josh Mandel's future (non-)role at Replay until those negotiations have concluded - if he's left for good, I could see him and Paul agreeing to keep it under wraps so as not to jeopardize Replay's bargaining position.) Certainly this kind of pressure could make Paul Trowe anxious and irritable, and also make him wish that the Two Guys had signed up with Replay (or would sign up with Replay if they needed to go looking for more funding, assuming as Paul does that their Kickstarter money has been spent).

But then all of the above is pure speculation.

Upshoot: as far as reading the fates of video game ventures from tea leaves (or the lack of answers to certain questions) goes, it's stones and glass houses.

I do hope Al eventually gets to remake LSL2R, preferably under another banner. I criticised the original game on Twitter at one point because of its inhuman difficulty and Al actually took time to reply, basically saying that he agreed and wished he could get to do things better. LSL1R didn't really need a remake to the same degree. So it's kinda frustrating if the Reloaded-series ends this way because of the self-destructive behaviour of one guy.

I suppose all we can do is wait and see. Blackthorne's words really resonate with me. I'm done. Trowe is a dead fish in the water, so now it's all about supporting the Two Guys on the road to SpaceVenture.

http://www.adventure...php?newsid=6394

The story has hit this German site. Google Translate is probably mangling it, but they seem to be retelling what went on in a very objective manner rather than commenting on it or jumping to their own conclusions. Paging Christian "Meister Fistel" Giegerich...

Yeah. My translation is a bit garbled, but the gist of it is there. There's no slander, no attack, just pure objective news. As it should be.

I do hope Al eventually gets to remake LSL2R, preferably under another banner. I criticised the original game on Twitter at one point because of its inhuman difficulty and Al actually took time to reply, basically saying that he agreed and wished he could get to do things better. LSL1R didn't really need a remake to the same degree. So it's kinda frustrating if the Reloaded-series ends this way because of the self-destructive behaviour of one guy.

Larry 2 is probably one of the few games in the franchise that really could use a remake (5 is probably the other). I'll be sad if we don't get that one, but unfortunately it's a much bigger game and they already had to dump additional money into Reloaded just to have enough cash to finish it. Reloaded came out ok, but there's some very rough edges which was to be expected given the resources they had.

Anyways, I decided to send Al an email inquiry this morning just to say I still support him and any future endeavors despite whatever is going on at Replay. I figured given everyone's anger at he who shall not be named and the company it seemed like a good idea to let Al know that some people still believe in him and his creation. I know Larry means a lot to him and I've always hoped that HWSNBN wasn't trying to take advantage of Al for personal gain.

I wonder if the Coles, Jane Jensen, and Jim Walls felt there was something fishy about Replay? None of them signed on with Replay for their projects and oddly it doesn't sound like HWSHNBN ever gave much consideration to QfG, GK, or PQ in some of the earlier interviews. It was all about KQ, SQ, and LSL which I think were Sierra's best selling adventure series in the heyday?

Very well said Blackthorn, there comes a time when some people have to look within and realize if they have NO real relationships with other people, that everyone distrusts, or doesn't want to be around, or work with. You just might realize the common factor in each instance is yourself.. Then you realize you're NOT the victim being picked on by everyone you interact with and that you are indeed the aggressor... Some learn and can be honest with themselves and make an effort to change... Others never grow out of it and continue to act entitled and that everyone around them owe them something. Paul is in a position to live a truly happy and blessed life but it will never happen unless you mirror the love you recieve. .. He has found himself surrounded by talented and passionate people, the means to make something special, and charitable people to make it happen, I wouldn't have squandered that gift from the universe..

I find it ironic that Paul Trowe was complaining about a lack of response from the 2GFA, yet the recurrent questions on the status of Replay doing LSL2:R remain unanswered. If I remember that correctly, Codemasters only licensed LSL1 to Replay with some (more or less implied) promise of licensing the whole series if that first game did well. Replay must now be at a point where they're negotiating for those upcoming licenses. It would certainly explain why we're seeing the first LSL:R sale now. If Replay fails to get that license, the thought arises as to which properties would carry Replay into the future. (It would also explain why we're not getting a confirmation on Josh Mandel's future (non-)role at Replay until those negotiations have concluded - if he's left for good, I could see him and Paul agreeing to keep it under wraps so as not to jeopardize Replay's bargaining position.) Certainly this kind of pressure could make Paul Trowe anxious and irritable, and also make him wish that the Two Guys had signed up with Replay (or would sign up with Replay if they needed to go looking for more funding, assuming as Paul does that their Kickstarter money has been spent).

I thought I would speak up on this topic. I think we all love Larry and need to take action. I believe there is a difference between "Taking the high ground" and all sitting around watching one man poison a water well we are all trying to drink from. We can do just as much harm by not taking action. We are the power here, not Paul. We are the consumers, we are the customers and we have the money. Let us use the tools we have.

My suggestions.

1. Email Al and let him know how you feel about Paul. Let him know we still support him but not with Paul. On his website his email is listed as webmail@allowe.com

2. Email codemasters. The game must not be selling well which is why Paul is acting like this. Email the highest person you can get ahold of there. They also have listed custservice@codemasters.com . I also think tweeting to them, so its more in the public eye, is also beneficial. https://twitter.com/codemasters

We have to make it very clear to them that we want more Larry games with Al, but not with Paul. Don't let Al get painted with the same brush. These are all normal channels with which WE can also express our opinion. Take the 5 minutes it would take to write an email. It might just save Larry.

but when I look at names like Tom King, Jeroen Dekkers and YOU getting banned, people that donated thousands of dollars and a hell of a lot of time to the project, that's when I call foul.

I honestly dont care about the amount of money I spent on LSLR, it's more of the tactics that were involved that now diminish this entire experience. I'm still happy with LSLR just not with the person running the show..

But I'm glad we're able to discuss this in a civil non nudity manner ;-)

I will say it again and I can not stress it enough, you have no idea how fun Josh Mandel made it for us, getting to chat with him during late night phone conferences, seeing things others didn't and seeing your ideas and suggestions put in the game talked about or ignored was a genuine blast. Josh made it worth it I know the others will agree.

Couldnt say it better myself. As I said before - out of everything, I'm grateful to have had this experience and gotten to know great people in this community more & more (you know who you are :)). It's sad that this all is being destroyed by 1 person.

I do think what Quirk above here is saying would be interesting to try.

http://www.adventure...php?newsid=6394 The story has hit this German site. Google Translate is probably mangling it, [...]

Here's a quick translation of Michael Stein's news item:

A few days ago, Paul Trowe, CEO of Replay Games, left a comment on an update to the Kickstarter-campaign for Two Guys SpaceVenture. The former creators of Space Quest were apparently out of funds for their project, stated Trowe.

Susequently, other supporters pointed out that his public behaviour was unjustified and unprofessional, among them people who had done voluntary and unpaid work for production of Leisure Suit Larry Reloaded, including areas such as cover design, beta testing and forum administration.

Shortly after, a [volunteer] staffer noticed that her Replay forum user accounts had been deleted and that she had thus been dismissed from the team. Meanwhile, the discussion in the Space Quest forum continues. Other freelance staff have apparently lost all of their rights as well.

A new official update for SpaceVenture has been announced for Wednesday 10/16.

Link to discussion on Kickstarter

Link to discussion on SpaceQuest.net [this topic]

He might have mentioned that Leisure Suit Larry Reloaded was produced by Replay Games, but other than that, it appears a succinct summary.

Good words, Alistair. And a good idea to send Josh an email. I'll be doing that myself.

Regarding the aforementioned tribute video for the Two Guys, here's a brand new shiny thread for it filled with useless information as a formality to just have a place for you to dump your videos! I've received Troels' video and it is absolutely hilarious. Others, please follow suit!

http://www.spacequest.net/index.php/topic/657-mass-collaborative-tribute-video/

I will say it again and I can not stress it enough, you have no idea how fun Josh Mandel made it for us, getting to chat with him during late night phone conferences, seeing things others didn't and seeing your ideas and suggestions put in the game talked about or ignored was a genuine blast. Josh made it worth it I know the others will agree.

Yes, very well said! Josh Mandel is a hell of a guy. I'm glad to see that the community recognizes that and appreciates him as much as we do. Jeroen's response to this is also spot on.

But I'm glad we're able to discuss this in a civil non nudity manner ;-)

Don't get your hopes up, homeboy. I still want naked animations of Bea and Stellar (and the Latex Babes of Estros), but we need to focus on the real enemy here, and that's Paul.

I don't know how this game is going to do, to be honest with you, but SQ is actually one I surprisingly enjoy *slightly* more than LSL, because I do love the ways that the game tells you you screwed up.