Space Quest Historian podcast - season 2

Hey, kids! Long time no speaky.

Just wanted to drop in and let you guys know that season 2 of my silly little podcast is up and running. This first episode I've got Bob Siebenberg, James Mulvale and Jess Morrissette in the house. And if you don't listen I will continue to speak in wildly inappropriate 90's white rapper lingo until you do.

Linky linky: http://spacequesthistorian.com/2014/07/09/episode-13-fandom-through-the-ages/

Or just search for the show on iTunes.

Oh, and, thanks to a kind soul on Twitter, I've put in an application to get this joint on Stitcher, too. I had no idea that existed but, hey, now I do.

As always, feedback is welcome, good and bad, and if you have anything you want me to read on the air, this is as good a place to throw it at me as any!

I like the podcasts, but I wish you'd press Pope for more info. Grill him when you have him on the show. :-) For example, you let him get away with saying they are looking to update the UI over what we saw in the demo, but there's no follow-up question about this? Or were the recordings for the different podcast participants done at different times?

a ) All the recordings are done separately.

b ) It isn't the job of the podcast to "grill" the Two Guys & Pope. That's the job of the gaming press.

I'd like answers to those questions too, but I wouldn't expect it from a semi-official outlet.

Perhaps Pete Toleman should interview him and get to the bottom of just why they suck so hard. ;)

I have no control over the segments Pope sends me, or anyone else's segments for that matter. People send me shit and I put it on there. I actually try really hard to let people be autonomous with regards to what they want to say on the show; a privilege that Gareth in particular takes pleasure in abusing.

I would love to talk more about the game myself but, for kinda obvious reasons, I can't.

Pope does listen to criticism and he would address it if you asked him. Hey, here's a thought. Why don't you record your grievances, I'll send them to Pope, and I'll let the two of you duke it out on the show?

I didn't realize it was a semi-official outlet.

Well, if "grilling" is out of the question, then maybe some gentle prodding for more info could be cool in a back-and-forth. It's fine if he declines to answer. And maybe you already know the answers to what you ask him. But I would have been interested to hear him expand on his thoughts about how the Sierra icon interface is insufficient or not optimal. What are some ideas the team has been throwing around for the SpaceVenture interface? That sort of thing.

Pope does listen to criticism and he would address it if you asked him. Hey, here's a thought. Why don't you record your grievances, I'll send them to Pope, and I'll let the two of you duke it out on the show?

So this. And if you don't want to record your voice, send me the questions and I'll Pete Tolemanify them.

Well, it didn't start out that way with the video series -- but when it became a podcast it started going out on Pope's TechJives network, so I guess that makes it kinda official. :)

In any case I'd be happy to prod, but I won't be able to do it for the upcoming episode (which comes out tomorrow). Should I use your above post as an officially worded question to send the Pope, or do you want to record one of your own? Or do you want, as Gareth suggested, to have your question Toleman-ified?

Well, if "grilling" is out of the question, then maybe some gentle prodding for more info could be cool in a back-and-forth. It's fine if he declines to answer. And maybe you already know the answers to what you ask him. But I would have been interested to hear him expand on his thoughts about how the Sierra icon interface is insufficient or not optimal. What are some ideas the team has been throwing around for the SpaceVenture interface? That sort of thing.

I believe some examples of this were shown in the latest Kickstarter update. As Chris mentioned, much of the development concern has been with appropriate use of screen real-estate. With the inventory UI and the more traditional Sierra-like interface,what I referred to (at the time) in code as the "top UI" (with the walk, hand, eye, etc, icons) taking up about 1/3 of the screen when put together, that greatly restricts the click events and interactions you can put in those areas. So we are also looking at other ways to present the UI. The inventory interface Chris demoed in the update is one iteration of this. This is certainly an area that is continuing to be refined.

On a more light-hearted topic, episode 14 is now out: Episodic vs. Full-Length games!

http://traffic.libsyn.com/techjives/2014-07-23-Episode_14_Episodic_vs_Full-Length.mp3

Remember, if you want to discuss this topic, there's already a thread for that on these here forums.

But you can download the full episode here: http://traffic.libsyn.com/techjives/2014-07-23-Episode_14_Episodic_vs_Full-Length.mp3

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't been on here in awhile and haven't heard the latest podcast. Need to get caught up. But what I was talking about earlier was how it would be neat if part operated in a manner similar to the "Johnny Magpie" column that appeared at the end of many InterAction magazines, where the author, who was really an insider, played the role of someone trying to get the scoop for his readers. In other words, the podcaster would represent the listeners hoping to learn new information. Of course, I don't know anyone here (who is Gareth? :-) ), who knows what, or who knows whom, so maybe my idea wouldn't work if the people doing the podcast are also working on the game.

And thank you to the person earlier who gave more information about the user interface.

Hey, kids, I'm here to break hearts yet again.

http://traffic.libsyn.com/techjives/2014-08-06_SQ_Historian-Episode15-Good_vs_Evil.mp3

Tackling some of the responses I got from the last episode's topic on episodic games, as well as, you know, Vohaul.

And yeah, Purple, it actually kinda is a bit like that. :) Though not as "investigative," sure, but if you want me to go prod the Pope, I'll do it.

• 2 weeks later...

Just popping in to not really add anything relevant other than saying I'm glad to see/hear that the podcast is back for another season! Hopefully at some point in the not too distant future I can find another way to weasel my way on...eerr add more enlightening, enriching material to the podcast! :D

• 3 weeks later...

By the way, next week's episode is going to focus on the three retro fan games: "Space Quest 0: Replicated", "Space Quest: The Lost Chapter" and "Space Quest: Decision of the Elders."

If any of you have any glorious stories to tell or memories of these games, let me know. If your contribution is in by the weekend, it'll go on the show.

Next time I have feedback I'll record it ;)

Thank you! I enjoy those the most. :)

Oh dear God, Cluster Blucket or whatever was fucking hilarious  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

The smear of Fester Blatz was incredible lol

Tom King (aka DadsNewBF) does those. He both writes them (with two other dudes) and plays Chuck.

EDIT: Also really enjoyed your metal rendition of the World-o-Wonders theme. Best one I've heard.

Thanks! I wish I had more cover tunes to put on the show. Most of them seem to have gotten lost through the ages. I remember there used to be lots of them lying around.

Announcement: By the way, I suppose this is as good a place as any to remind people: Next episode won't come out today (Wed. Sep. 17), but tomorrow (Thur. Sep. 18). It's a day later than usual, but that's because there's a lot of guest spots and, therefore, A LOT of mixing to get through.

I guess it goes without saying that I enjoy this podcast, but since there are definitely quite a few people here whom I don't interact with on Twitter or Facebook who listen to the podcast, I wanted to get some opinions.

What do you guys think of my ongoing story, "Quest for the Two Guys from Andromeda"? There's still quite a bit of ground to cover, as we have some more fun exploits in the King's Quest world for the next chapter (and poor Troels gets picked on some more) before taking a brief intermission and then going on to a world inspired by Quest for Glory. I have several more chapters planning, each one highlighting different Sierra fandoms, but I'm curious to know what everyone thinks of it! Also, if you would like to be featured as a character (either just a random mention or even have a larger role), please let me know!

Thanks in advance! Talk to you later!

JDHJANUS

Josh