Plot holes and inconsistencies in fan games

Troels Pleimert

Don't get me wrong, I love the fan games. Pretty much all of them. I hear 4.5 is kind of odd, but I haven't played it, so I wouldn't know.

Anyway, that's not the point. But we were getting a little sidetracked in one of the other topics over at StarCon Academy, the one about what time period SQ takes place in, when I started talking about a little odd thing I noticed in SQ-1: Decision of the Elders.

So I thought this could be a fun time to ask about some of the things in the fan games that made me go "huh?", and if we can somehow concoct a good reason/explanation for it being there.

The thing in DotE was that someone in the game mentions that the game takes place on "Earth." Uh, does that mean Julia and Jerry went all the way to the Milky Way system and visited Earth to see if it was a suitable spot to hold their wedding? That's quite a long way to travel!

The other thing was in Space Quest 0: Replicated when Roger visits Andromeda. Andromeda the planet. Now, I'm not good with astronomy and such, but I thought Andromeda was a galaxy, not a planet?

Feel free to add more -- and believe me, this is in no way meant to take any of the fun out of playing the fan games. This is, really, just playful nitpicking. The two games I've just mentioned are great fun to play and I'm glad I finally got around to it. If you haven't, you should, too.

I'm not good with astronomy and such, but I thought Andromeda was a galaxy, not a planet?

Blame the Two Guys for that one. The manual for SQ3 clearly shows Andromeda as a planet as well - indeed, SQ0 bases the look of the place after the pics in said manual. Either the guys decided that Andromeda was a planet in the SQ-niverse ahead of time, or else they themselves were confused about it when they chose their collective name. ;)

Space Quest III is one of the most fantastic boxed games in Sierra's library. The details on the cover are fantastic, and it also came with several goodies, including pig-nose glasses that you can punch out to make yourself look like the Two Guys. If you ever get a chance to pick it up off of eBay or Amazon, Troels, I HIGHLY recommend it! :D

Talk to you later!

JDHJANUS

Josh

Huh. Never thought I'd be the one to drag a thread back on-topic...

Not an inconsistency as such, but The Lost Chapter did go to a great deal of trouble to try and explain Roger's shift in hair color between SQ3 and SQ4. Most of us usually chalk that up to a stylistic change resulting directly from the leap from 16 to 256 colors, but Vonster went and came up with an IC explaination for it, which I thought was rather clever. If a bit obsessive. ;)

Also, SQ0 seems to conflict directly with SQ2 by portraying Labion as having civilization present, both on the surface and in the orbital station. SQ2 indicates that the planet is, and always has been, deserted except for the natives and Vohaul's troops, which is probably why he's using it as his combination base of operations and slave labor camp. Besides, if Roger *had* been there before in SQ0, wouldn't he have said something about it in SQ2? :huh:

Not an inconsistency as such, but The Lost Chapter did go to a great deal of trouble to try and explain Roger's shift in hair color between SQ3 and SQ4. Most of us usually chalk that up to a stylistic change resulting directly from the leap from 16 to 256 colors, but Vonster went and came up with an IC explaination for it, which I thought was rather clever. If a bit obsessive. ;)

Except TLC takes place between SQ2 and SQ3, and Roger's hair didn't change to blonde until SQ4 ...!

Except TLC takes place between SQ2 and SQ3, and Roger's hair didn't change to blonde until SQ4 ...!

Ah, but therin lies the cleverness - he thought of that! I won't spoil anything plot-related for those who haven't played the game, but it basically involves the escape pod's sleep chamber turning his hair blonde as an accidental side-effect, some temporary hair dye to correct the problem, and some applied amnesia causing him to forget the events of TLC entirely, including having been rendered blonde to begin with. Presumably, the dye wears off after SQ3 when his hair starts growing again (presumably, it doesn't while he's in statis), and Roger either writes it off as some sort of natural change or else just doesn't really take much notice of it. :rolleyes:

...I didn't say it was the best explaination ever, but at least he made the effort. :P

You really should, if only to marvel at how positively *ripped* Roger is in that game.  :blink:  For all his pedantic-ness, Vonster completely failed to provide an explaination for how Roger managed to work out while he was asleep, or where that bod went between TLC and SQ3.

Also, it's a fine example of the 'classic Sierra' school of design. By which I mean, it's chock full of ridiculously unforseeable, unfair deaths1. Save early, save often.

1) First prize goes to the spike-top monster. You'll know that one when you get it.

• 2 weeks later...