Red Dwarf and Space Quest had a simultaneous impact on my life!

So my good friend and conjoined twin tomlee80 asked Scott on twitter earlier today to confess whether he was a fan of space quest or not. Yes, I know we are in stressful times with the kickstarter and all that but I felt it was some light relief from the nail biting few days. As so many of us had been bringing up Red Dwarf during the live chats on twitch.tv, I had been surprised by the lack of response from Scott and Mark. Of course I was well aware of how British Red Dwarf was, but I knew it had a considerable following stateside. It's similarities to Space Quest are completely coincidental (which in a way is even more cool considering Scott and Mark didn't use it as an influence). And at the same time surely most of us can identify with the humour because it is similarly warped.

@SlashVohaul Hey Scott, I know you've never commented but it's ok if you don't like Red Dwarf. You're insane not to like it but it's ok :)

Scott Murphy@SlashVohaul

@tomlee80 I like Red Dwarf! I have to admit to not having watched enough. I have to catch them on Netflix or elsewhere

@SlashVohaul A true Anglophile! Please note the first 6 seasons are the good ones.I see so many parallels between #reddwarf #spacequest

The history of Red Dwarf's creators is kind of similar too. At one stage Rob Grant and Doug Naylor (The Two Guys From Red Dwarf) parted away and wrote separate novels based around the red dwarf characters and universe (One called The Last Human and the other I can't remember right now....look it up).

Who else here are big red dwarf fans and perhaps draw comparisons like me...or have I lost it!

The final two series were pretty poor. The first six (before Craig Charles's sexual assault case) are definitely the best.

I should add to that he was found not guilty (or she dropped her case...). When Craig Charles (Lister) recalled being taken under arrest it had actually been his birthday and he thought it was a stunt! How harsh could that have been? For me though...you've gotta laugh now :) For the second run of series 6 the BBC didn't show episode 1 "Psirens" due to the provactive natture of Lister being lured by a woman. Complete bollocks in my opinion!

The history of Red Dwarf's creators is kind of similar too. At one stage Rob Grant and Doug Naylor (The Two Guys From Red Dwarf) parted away and wrote separate novels based around the red dwarf characters and universe (One called The Last Human and the other I can't remember right now....look it up).

It doesn't end there- they parted ways in the 90's due to creative differences, and recently reunited (only a few months before thw Two Guys) to make a new Red Dwarf season together! Crazy coincidental, given both are sci-fi parodies, and also both series started around the same time, late 80's.

Red Dwarf Season X (10) will be released in late 2012 in HD on UK channel Dave, maybe over here inthe US, of course I'll pirate it anyway. I for one are super pumped about it. RD is one of my fave shows of all time, kept the quality of the scripts over the years, even season 7 and 8 are funny to some extent.

I'm surprised it crossed over to the states. A lot of the humour and references are peculiarly British. Then again, I always think the humour in SQ is situated somewhere in the mid-Atlantic...

I'd heard about a new project, but didn't realise it was a full series. Danny John Jules mentioned on Twitter that he'd received a script, but I didn't know whether it was a series or a movie.

I hope it's the male Holly though. That guy was hilarious.