Unwinnable state

rogerxy

The modern games from SQ3 onward sure were good about making sure you didn't hit a dead end. There's a couple of other minimal unwinnable states in SQ5 (which the game usually kills you for eventually anyway):

1. When you go to Gingivitis at the end of the game and meet up with the Goliath, you won't be able to leave your sector without uncloaking, for which the Goliath will destroy you. This means you're screwed if you forgot the canisters from Genetix.

2. Or the moment you get into the EVA pod without the laser torch (in the Beta version, there's no death for this, so it's just a dead end).

3. Activating the self-destruct sequence prematurely at any point prior to the end of the game is basically a guaranteed unwinnable situation.

I remember not knowing to get the green slime in SQ4 -- so that got me stuck for quite awhile. Think I restarted -- was there a way to revisit the sewers to prevent that?

Pretty sure on my first playthru, that I didn't know I'd missed the slime until after the mall.

There is a minimal unwinnable state in SQ5 where you can flunk the aptitude test and not know about it for a little bit.

That's interesting. I thought no matter what you chose for your answers you always passed the aptitude test because mice get into the computer and screw with the scoring?

*EDIT*

It appears after looking at the walk through online that there must be two versions. I presume I played the beta without knowing (The wasn't any crashes or bugs that I noticed which was nice!) Yes I will admit that that I downloaded SQ5 for free. However I'm currently looking for a physical copy online to go with my collection and have paid my dues with a pledge that covers me for a copy from gog.com. :) Now I get to play all over again!

Version without cheating puzzle:

http://www.gamesover.com/walkthroughs/sq5.txt

Version with cheating puzzle:

http://www.the-spoiler.com/ADVENTURE/Sierra/space.quest.5.1.html

Always verify something for yourself before making or accepting claims. This seems to be especially true for Space Quest 5, where there are many differences between the beta and official versions.

There's actually a death in Space Quest 3 which Jeysie somehow managed to miss, though it wasn't for lack of trying. If you return to Ortega after you blow up the shields, you'll die.

You fail immediately if you don't cheat, which I think is odd:

It *is* a bit jarring, at least in a narrative sense - but it's also a courtesy from the game designers. It specifically *prevents* you from getting into an unwinnable situation - if the results were delayed until after the crest-cleaning sequence like they are if you pass, you could easily save afterward and screw yourself over. Instead, the game designers take advantage of Shroedinger's Gun to simply have you fail (and die) immediately. Isn't that nice of them? ;)

There's actually a death in Space Quest 3 which Jeysie somehow managed to miss, though it wasn't for lack of trying. If you return to Ortega after you blow up the shields, you'll die.

What are you talking about? I hadn't heard of this before, so I loaded up SQ3 and tried it - but no death to be seen. I loaded up a save from having just reached Pestulon, went back on Ortega and walked around in my comfy Thermoweave underpants same as always. The only change is that the land bridge leading to the south is still missing, and the screen occasionally shakes from the newly bomb-inspired volcanic activity.

Then again, I *am* playing an older version of the game - an original copy, one that predates the Collection version(s). I seem to recall from a conversation with Frans years ago that it was either a rare version or at least one he didn't have, as he was collecting all the various SQ versions for the SQ downloads he was hosting at the time.

Space Quest 3 - Version 1.0P - 3/22/89

I loaded up a save from having just reached Pestulon, went back on Ortega and walked around in my comfy Thermoweave underpants same as always.

That is exactly why people keep missing the death. Don't walk around Ortega. Stand on the screen where you're just getting out of the Aluminum Mallard. Trust me, it's been found.

Skip ahead to 2:30 in this video: